- When your subscription ends, you have full access until the date your next billing was meant to be taken
- Free edition will be able to open any project in read-only mode.
- Exported games will not be affected in any way at all
- Your assets are yours, you can save them locally or in the cloud - up to you. We would never hold your exported game or game assets hostage.
- Details about checks are not something we talk about too openly for obvious reasons, but we've always focused on making it invisible and painless for legitimate customers. We're confident there's not going to be any issues for anyone.
I think if we could retain full access to the Editor to modify our projects after the initial subscription period and keep the same export options as the free edition (i.e. Web and Scirra Arcade), that would help alleviate some of the concerns of hobbyists.
Basically when the subscription ends, all you lose is the extra export options (iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.) and if you need those you pay an Annual Export License fee (subscription in a more acceptable guise) to give you 12 months access to all export options.
This way only those who will use the Cloud Compilers the most will pay for them. You could even limit the free/post-subscription export options to once per day so they aren't overused.
You could probably even get away with charging more for the first year if this was the case:
Initial Payment $149 = Lifetime access to full features of Editor + 1 year Export License
Further Payments $99 = 1 year Export License