BRUTE

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Brute character 2d sprites for your Project . This assets is for developers who want to create their mobile game apps
  • Cryptwalker - yeah I've seen a video about that RE4 thing, pretty neat. So in Brute I don't think players will be forever stuck because they will always have a choice of 5 or so levels to pick from, so long as they clear one of them then another one opens up, so unless they're stuck on all 5 levels they should be able to progress. I do like your idea but I think I need to keep the game competitive and consistent for the leaderboards (if I can figure out how to implement them)

• Where is the Demo?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Lol, personally i think the bullet size can be bigger .

For folks who aren't accustom to difficult games, perhaps you can subtlety lower the difficulty a bit without even letting the player know it too. For example after like the 5th retry or so (there will be plenty of this), and also depending on the level, you can slow down some of the moving obstacles, slow down the chasing enemies, increase drag slightly, gravitate bullets towards the target.....etc. But do it all behind the scenes so that a player isn't "forever stuck" on a certain level and will be more enticed to continue playing. This technique was actually done in Resident Evil 4 - not a lot folks know this though .

The problem with this method is it ruins the flow and timing. If an enemy/obstacle behaves a certain way or moves a specific speed, you expect them to always move in that way, which is fundamental to how you would react.

In a game like this, where timing is everything, if you start adjusting the seed of objects after the player dies, the player will have to adjust their tactics. That might become frustrating after repeated attempts when objects don't move like they once did and you have to relearn the level all over again.

• The problem with this method is it ruins the flow and timing. If an enemy/obstacle behaves a certain way or moves a specific speed, you expect them to always move in that way, which is fundamental to how you would react...

Not really. This feature should only occur if the game senses that the user is taking way too many attempts to complete the current level. I threw in 5 as a sample number of times before the game will adjust that particular level to make it slightly easier. It might be even better to increase that number 10 or even 20. And of course this shouldn't be permanent either, just only for that particular instance.

• Brute Update:

Brute is still in development and it's going well! It's design complete with a fully working menu supporting 100 levels and a basic save system. I'm now doing a final pass on all the levels, finishing up the SFX and working on the music myself and with other composers.

I've got a logo and other bits too which designer Tyler Barber made:

I'm putting together the app on Steam and I hope to have a pre-release test build to send out to those who helped me test a few months back

• Short announcement to say that dev work on Brute has finished and I'm now trying to figure out how to release it

• I think your link on the first page to the trailer is the wrong video..

found it on your youtube page...

looks (and sounds) great!

• jobel - thanks, very odd that link had changed to a different video...I've updated it anyway. Thanks for spotting that!

• Awesome stuff. I was wondering if this game was still being developed too. So glad to see it being completed soon.

• Out of curiosity, how in the world did you come up with the level names??

• Out of curiosity, how in the world did you come up with the level names??

They're modern names for stars in the Milky Way

• Ahh...excellent

• It's out!

Thanks all here who have helped me with various things over the year.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/451630/Brute/

• Awesome! It's like Atari Combat and Oxyd Magnum had a child together I loved those games!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)