How do I Make A Button-Triggered Conversation?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Game Triggers is as versatile as a Swiss army knife, and will be a great resource for any type of game you're creating.
  • Hello, I've started making a new game in Construct 3, and I'm having a bit of an issue.

I have it so that you press Enter to start a conversation with an NPC, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to have the next part of the conversation only appear when Enter is pressed again.

My idea is basically the same conversation concept as in games such as Stardew Valley or any other game that won't continue the conversation until the player presses the button to trigger it.

Is there any way at all to have Enter pressed to start the conversation, as well as Enter being pressed to trigger each part of the conversation ??

Tagged:

• There are many different ways. You could start out simple and have a function for each npc, every time you press enter, it adds to a variable which acts as a counter and then sets a different bit of text. So whatever you did so far to start and show the conversation you show different text through sub events against variable conditions and when you want to end you just add the actions to close the chat etc on the final sub event.

You can also store chat in an array. You can set this up in an array file then load it into an array and read from it. Each npc would have a variable that relates to a column of the array and when you chat it runs through each row of that column.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ahh, okay, so there are ways!

I don't want to trouble you, but I've been using Construct only for about 8 months or so, and would understand how to go about this if it was written something like this::

player > On collision with platform > Reset layout

^^^ that's just an example.

I could also work from screenshots, if that would be easier?

Thank you so much in advance and for what you've told me so far :))

• Hi, not sure what you meant with the example. If you need an example I made a quick one here so you can see what I mean. :)

dropbox.com/s/v19ofeypt46vlf9/chats.c3p

• Sorry for the confusion with the example, but I've downloaded the file and opened it, and I believed that makes sense now

Works amazingly - thank you so much :))

• That's great :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)