Spriter/C2 - (9-16-2019 - bug fix)

From the Asset Store
Rotate & Animation for 16 Direction & Mouse Direction
  • lucid

Hello, i tried for the 1st time sprinter, but when I try to import it, by drag and dropping the file (the example file on your website) into my layout, i have that error :

---------------------------

Construct 2 Check failure

Check failure! This is probably a bug:

Adding family with no members

Condition: !family_->GetMemberTypes().empty()

File: Projects\Project.cpp

Line: 2256

Function: void __cdecl Project::AddFamily(class std::unique_ptr<class Family,struct std::default_delete<class Family> >)

Build: release 129 (64-bit) checked

Component: Construct 2 IDE

(Last Win32 error: 0)

You are using a 'checked' release of Construct 2, intended for testing, which causes certain errors to be reported this way. Hit Ctrl+C to copy this messagebox - it's useful information for the developers, so please include it with any bug reports! Click 'Abort' to quit (unsaved data will be lost!),'Retry' to turn off messages for this session and continue, or 'Ignore' to continue normally.

Abandonner   Recommencer   Ignorer   

Is it because i'm doing something wrong, or because i'm using a beta version (r129) and not the last stable ?

Thanks !

(ps : i replaced the plugin by the one you gave the page before)

• hi ,

That was an oversight on our part. C2 uses some extra info in newer versions of Spriter, and the one on our site was from an older version. If you redownload it, it will work fine.

sorry about that.

DragonDrumstick

1. Are there any video tutorials for using the C2 Spriter plugin on a basic game?

Not yet. There will be more videos coming soon, though.

2. Is there a way for me to duplicate the sprites (say, create 5 enemies on screen) using the same set of sprite images?

as mochakingup said. You would just copy and paste a new instance of the scml plugin object.

3. Destroying and Spawning

Given that Spriter objects are complex and have multiple components in C2, how would one spawn and destroy spriter sprites? (And manage those spawning and destroying) For example, knowing which is enemy1, enemy2, player1, player2, how would I access those?

mochakingup was right about this as well. The scml object and all the sprites are in families and groups together. Destroying or creating one destroy/creates all the rest. Also, because they are in a group, if you do something like:

On Collision with SpriterGuy_HandSprite(sprite for hand)

----set SpriterGuy(scml plugin) Position to mouse.x, mouse.y

it will automatically do what you'd want and only affect the scml plugin that the sprite is being controlled by.

4. Information sources

Where would one learn more about using Spriter with Construct2? (Besides the videos) I would really appreciate some help on this.

There will be more. We're still finishing the program itself, which will add additional features to the plugin, but we will be making more learning resources on the way to 1.0.

In the meantime, it's made to be as similar to a sprite as possible. Most of what you would do with a sprite, you do in a very similar way in the scml plugin. The main difference is that the plugin doesn't have it's own collision box (yet), so you would use a detector sprite for collisions.

• lucid So for adding my collision sprite I would do the following:

1. Add the spriter object

2. Assign behaviors to it (Such as the Pin behavior)

3. Pin the Spriter object to my Collision SPrite

4. Assign Platform behavior, etc... to the Collision sprite

My question on this is correctly pinning the spriter object to my collision sprite is pretty hard currently due to the spriter object not showing a realistic representation of its size (height/width in pixels). Is there any recommendation on the best way to do this or just trial and error pinning it to the pile of sprites?

Also, changing the size or shape of the collision sprite for different animations of the spriter object is very difficult because of the same reasons. If I have a slide animation, or an animation where the character changes their overall shape, it is hard to get an accurately shaped and sized collision polygon/sprite, and also hard to know where to pin it since we cannot see the animations in design time.

My assumption is that this will be addressed once the design time support is added to C2, but wanted to add a request to allow us to set to show various frames in each animation so that we can accurately create, size and pin our collision sprites to it.

Thanks again for all the hard work! This is coming along nicely and I am using spriter to generate all the animations for my first release which will be coming next month. Keep up the great work!

• Weird. I'm getting the same error that Vsquared was getting, even with the updated scml. Also, when I try to look at the example file (the animated monster) it doesn't show up at all in Chrome, but works fine with Firefox.

I've also noticed that when I try to drag the monster example into Construct 2, that none of the images show up. I don't think the sprites are loaded into the folders either.

Not sure if any of that is giving any hints as to what's wrong or if its something I'm doing. Any help is appreciated. I'm really looking forward to diving into spriter.

-Ben

• hey sman118, I just downloaded the file directly from the site, and unzipped it. Make sure you're leaving the file in the directory (c2 and Spriter use the scml to find the images in the folder structure). It worked fine for me. Also I just retested the example (I assume you mean the one linked in the original post), on Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. My only guess as long as you left the file in the folder, is that your browser cache might have kept the previous download.

• lucid

Hey Lucid. I have a feature I would like to be implemented if possible.

Editing from C2. When in C2 I can double click the file which opens the SCML file. However, the images are in a different location. Anyway that you Ashley and you could maybe get some way to get Spriter to work with the files in C2?

• Lucid :

Thanks, it works, and it's great !

Do you think you can make one day Spriter compatible with Ejecta ? As long as CocoonJS doesn't move on that point, it would be nice to be able to use Spriter with Ejecta :)

• lucid Clearing Chrome's cache worked perfectly. Not sure what the problem was, but that fixed it.

Still having the problem with the image files not loading with the scml file. Just so I'm clear on installation of the plugin (and I'm really sorry if you've covered this some place else):

You download the zip file called "scml".

Then, you extract the folder "scml" into the "plugins" folder inside Construct 2's install directory.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't wait to start working in Spriter. I've been brushing up on skeletal animation all week.

• lucid

Request please. I/We? would like the option to Hide/Show the entire sprite. Since I use a Spriter object for player widgets. I would like the ability to hide and show as required. I couldn't it in the plugin option for actions :(

• Sorry. New here, just implemented Spriter into my app.

I get this error on Windows 8 Project Runtime: (I can compile fine)

Unhandled exception at line 16067, column 3 in ms-appx://d3e7a9e4-167a-4441-9c70-00626828921e/c2runtime.js

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to get property 'getElementsByTagName' of undefined or null reference

If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued.

• zipstacrack

I had this kind of error yesterday. 'getElementsByTagName'

I don't know if yours is exactly the same as mine, but my solution was this.

copy/paste the original dragged in scml file.

Just to make that clear.

When you first drag and drop the scml file into C2. You drop it into a layout(i do anyways). I get the large clump of images.

If you need that same scml access. Copy and paste the original to the new layout.

Why the error occured for me

I normally put all my assets on a layout called ASSETS. When I need a copy of the ASSET. I use the Objects bar on the side. I would Drag the object to the layout. Unfortunatally yesterday I found that if I use the method of an object from the object bar. The Spriter object would result the getElemements... blah error.

Sample Error

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14087254/spriter_error.capx

The original Spriter Object is on Layout2. Layout1 is the Object Bar Spriter object. Run Layout1. For me it's an error in Chrome. :( hopefully it's the same error and you can fix you problem.

• lucid

Hey Lucid. I have a feature I would like to be implemented if possible.

Editing from C2. When in C2 I can double click the file which opens the SCML file. However, the images are in a different location. Anyway that you Ashley and you could maybe get some way to get Spriter to work with the files in C2?

That seems like it'd be pretty difficult at this point. Maybe some point in the far far future.   Being able to reimport will most likely come much sooner.

lucid Clearing Chrome's cache worked perfectly. Not sure what the problem was, but that fixed it.

Still having the problem with the image files not loading with the scml file. Just so I'm clear on installation of the plugin (and I'm really sorry if you've covered this some place else):

You download the zip file called "scml".

Then, you extract the folder "scml" into the "plugins" folder inside Construct 2's install directory.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't wait to start working in Spriter. I've been brushing up on skeletal animation all week.

Hi sman118, if the scml plugin is in your list of available plugins, then you most likely did it correctly. Does any popup show up when you drag in the scml?

Lucid :

Thanks, it works, and it's great !

Do you think you can make one day Spriter compatible with Ejecta ? As long as CocoonJS doesn't move on that point, it would be nice to be able to use Spriter with Ejecta :)

Haven't had a chance yet to look at Ejecta, or why Spriter's not working with it. When I have some time, I'll report back what I find.

lucid

Request please. I/We? would like the option to Hide/Show the entire sprite. Since I use a Spriter object for player widgets. I would like the ability to hide and show as required. I couldn't it in the plugin option for actions :(

Yes, that sounds pretty easy. If it's not in the next update, please remind me again.

Sorry. New here, just implemented Spriter into my app.

I get this error on Windows 8 Project Runtime: (I can compile fine)

Unhandled exception at line 16067, column 3 in ms-appx://d3e7a9e4-167a-4441-9c70-00626828921e/c2runtime.js

0x800a138f - JavaScript runtime error: Unable to get property 'getElementsByTagName' of undefined or null reference

If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued.

I will have to take a look at the win8 runtime, and see what I can find. Not sure if Jayderu's solution will help.

jayderyu, not sure I fully followed that, so is that a problem with the plugin getting errors in c2?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • lucid

There seems to be an error for spriter objects that are not on the original layout. It might be related to a family problem for not having the Spriter Object and collection of associated sprites.

• > lucid

> Request please. I/We? would like the option to Hide/Show the entire sprite. Since I use a Spriter object for player widgets. I would like the ability to hide and show as required. I couldn't it in the plugin option for actions :(

Yes, that sounds pretty easy. If it's not in the next update, please remind me again.

if it's possible, can you also add the option to enable/disable collision for the entire sprite as well?

it would make everything much easier :)

I think the problem jayderyu encounter is when we drag scml object from object bar, the object properties of SCML file came up empty

• lucid, There seems to be an error for spriter objects that are not on the original layout. It might be related to a family problem for not having the Spriter Object and collection of associated sprites.as mcohakingup said, please make sure the scml file property is correctly set on this alternate layout. The latest version of c2 should do this automatically, but please check anyway.

>

> > lucid, Request please. I/We? would like the option to Hide/Show the entire sprite. Since I use a Spriter object for player widgets. I would like the ability to hide and show as required. I couldn't it in the plugin option for actions :(es, that sounds pretty easy. If it's not in the next update, please remind me again.if it's possible, can you also add the option to enable/disable collision for the entire sprite as well? it would make everything much easier :)yes, this should be easy as well.

everyone, the next few days will be slow for plugin updates, as I'm wrapping up a release for Spriter itself. Thank you for your patience.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 3 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 3 guests)