Hey artists! How do you make your tiles?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Piano tiles
$9.99 USD
Template for a piano tiles game, fully documented in comments and video
  • So I'm slowly trying to get into game dev and such and I can't help to notice those tilemap editors software so I wonder what do people actually use?

Is it worth using them? Do you guys actually use them?

The way I figured to work for myself was to make each tile individually and then just group them in a png organized the way I want keeping the order I want. I just make each tile and check if they work good together, and once I am happy, they go the the tilemap.png and then that's what I import on C2.

Is this a bad way to do tiles? Shall I be using a tile editor? If it really helps out I rather start now that I'm learning and get the good habits.

Thanks

• Not an artist here at all, but i always have an extremely hard time creating individual tiles on its own and making it "fit" with the rest of the level in the game world. Something is always off when i do it that way. But i've seen others who actually do build their tiles that way and can actually pull it off really well too.

For me, what I would do first is make an effort first draw a complete single image of a level of some sort - nothing too fancy, just complete with everything i want to see in the game world or a particular level. Then would import it into a tile editor such as Tiled to break it up into 16x16 (or 32x32) tilemap, and then use those tiles to build out the entire level. Everything seems to fit better for me that way.

But thats just me. I'm sure real artists have better ways of doing it.

• This is by far my most favorite tool. very affordable as well.

http://pyxeledit.com/

• This is by far my most favorite tool. very affordable as well.

http://pyxeledit.com/

Thats the one I've looked up into but... regarding my question, is it necesary?

Because let's say I want to make my game with vector art or just simple drawings and I want to use tiles for my scenario?

• Smileh - using a tool like Pyxeedit.com allows you to make the tiles much quicker and test tiles against each other faster etc. So it saves you time in the long run. Then you just export it as one big tilemap as you were thinking and import it into construct as a tilemap, and physically draw the map layout using the tilemap in construct.

• Smileh - using a tool like Pyxeedit.com allows you to make the tiles much quicker and test tiles against each other faster etc. So it saves you time in the long run. Then you just export it as one big tilemap as you were thinking and import it into construct as a tilemap, and physically draw the map layout using the tilemap in construct.

I do that expect I make every tile individually on PS or whatever software you fancy.

Regarding the vector graphics? You would need to apply my method, right?

• I would say no, you don't need any special tilemap programs.

Personally, I find tilemap software to be too limiting and just use Photoshop, which is something I'm more comfortable with. You could achieve very similar results with other programs, such as GIMP or Paint.NET, both of which are free.

It might be easier to make one base tile (say 32x32px) which you would duplicate and use as starting point for the rest of your tiles. It's also best to draw all your tiles in the same sheet, instead of as separate images so you can compare as you go, but if they all use the same base tile this shouldn't be a problem.

Most paint programs I know can set grids so you don't have to worry about misalignment, which is pretty much what tilemap programs do anyway.

I hope that helps.

• I use aseprite which is similar although only seems to have a simple tile preview.

When it comes to tiles though I think the most important decision is how you'll handle transitions between different types because it can get unwieldy if you don't make some decisions early on about how complex you want things. I like to use the same sort of technique as in the default tilemap and have another tilemap on top for rocks, walls, trees, etc. Although if you have single large items made of lots of tiles, like big trees standing by themselves, it's easier (and more efficient) to use sprites.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I use Paint.Net for everything except tilemaps, for that I use the forementioned pyxeledit. If I am to do tiles with normal software I'd need to draw the tile and whenever I need to check if its good I need to copy it at least two times to see how it blends at the sides and the bottom/top. With pyxeledit I can see the results right away as I draw which makes the workflow much more efficient.

• If you spend the couple of dollars to get Pyxel edit before you get more accustomed to other software itll make you a better pixel artist in the long run, not to mention it'll save you a ton of time.

I am trying to make the transition it's a very good program, but if you want a good simple freeware alternative I use GreenFish Icon Editor Pro http://greenfishsoftware.blogspot.com/2012/07/greenfish-icon-editor-pro.html

It's quicker and easier to figure out than most programs, but it lacks a lot of features that you would want. I use it for everything, even when I have a legitimate copy of Photoshop CC.

• If you're serious about becoming a Game Developer don't skimp out on the software, those are the tools that will enable you to create what you want. When I had $200 in the bank I still dropped the $169 or w/e for the C2 Liscense and it was the best call I ever made.

• Regarding the way to handle vector art in tiles, I still need some help in here!

If you spend the couple of dollars to get Pyxel edit before you get more accustomed to other software itll make you a better pixel artist in the long run, not to mention it'll save you a ton of time.

I am trying to make the transition it's a very good program, but if you want a good simple freeware alternative I use GreenFish Icon Editor Pro greenfishsoftware.blogspot.com/2 ... r-pro.html

It's quicker and easier to figure out than most programs, but it lacks a lot of features that you would want. I use it for everything, even when I have a legitimate copy of Photoshop CC.

Alright I will give it a try thanks!

I would say no, you don't need any special tilemap programs.

Personally, I find tilemap software to be too limiting and just use Photoshop, which is something I'm more comfortable with. You could achieve very similar results with other programs, such as GIMP or Paint.NET, both of which are free.

It might be easier to make one base tile (say 32x32px) which you would duplicate and use as starting point for the rest of your tiles. It's also best to draw all your tiles in the same sheet, instead of as separate images so you can compare as you go, but if they all use the same base tile this shouldn't be a problem.

Most paint programs I know can set grids so you don't have to worry about misalignment, which is pretty much what tilemap programs do anyway.

I hope that helps.

That is exacly what I am doing right now. Thanks!

If you're serious about becoming a Game Developer don't skimp out on the software, those are the tools that will enable you to create what you want. When I had $200 in the bank I still dropped the $169 or w/e for the C2 Liscense and it was the best call I ever made.

Thanks. For sure I want to grab some licenses. Also checked out your game, looks great! You using spriter for the animations?

• Regarding the way to handle vector art in tiles, I still need some help in here!

> If you're serious about becoming a Game Developer don't skimp out on the software, those are the tools that will enable you to create what you want. When I had $200 in the bank I still dropped the $169 or w/e for the C2 Liscense and it was the best call I ever made.

>

Thanks. For sure I want to grab some licenses. Also checked out your game, looks great! You using spriter for the animations?

Nope I'm hand drawing them in Greenfish, and using a little bit of Pyxel Edit. All the screenshots out right now are actually dated, this is what it's looking like now...

http://i.imgur.com/0XSbSnt.png

• Mind telling me how that exactly works? Don't understand the hand drawing part when you are doing your work in pyxeledit.

Btw I grabed a copy of pyxeledit myself

PS: Was talking about axes and arrows (the spriter question)

• Mind telling me how that exactly works? Don't understand the hand drawing part when you are doing your work in pyxeledit.

Btw I grabed a copy of pyxeledit myself

PS: Was talking about axes and arrows (the spriter question)

That is Axes and Arrows, I completely changed the aesthetics for the game. I'm waiting till I've got all my assets done to go and update everything on the web for it too.

As in, I use the Circle tool, square tool, pencil tool, line tool, over and over and over until I get something that looks like what I want. For how to use the programs, there are dudes on YouTube that explain it way better than I could teach.

My only advice would be to always maximize, and work, turn off the grids if you're in Greenfish, you'd be surprised at how much easier painting a picture is when your canvas is the whole screen.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)