Crosswalk Intel XDK experiences

• I see tutorials explaining how to export to Android, and how to use Admob. But I also see that Crosswalk allows exporting to IOS and Windows 8:

1) Can I export a Construct 2 Project to IOS with Crosswalk? Does the Admob plugin work this way?

2) Can I export a Construct 2 Project to Windows Phone with Crosswalk? Does the Admob plugin work this way?

• Hi,

I just finished reading the 59 pages of this thread to be able to resolve my problems. The first one seems to be a known XDK bug, but I will still explain it here.

My bug seems to be similar to this one : https_://crosswalk-project.org/jira/browse/XWALK-2655 (delete "_" as I'm not able to post links)

My game runs perfectly while previewing over wifi on Chrome for Android, on my two devices : Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S6310N and Samsung Galaxy Tab3.

In the emulator of XDK, it works fine.

When exporting with Crosswalk for Android, then playing the APK on the devices :

1) On the tablet, I can see the title screen, then it crashes most of the time. I'm back on the menu screen of the tablet, then if I check the running apps, I can still see my app running there. When I click on it, I'm back to the C2's loading screen, which sometimes freezes, or it either crashes the game again, or succeed to launch the game.

2) On the mobile phone it's the same, except that I'm not sure the game started even once. It crashes nearly always.

I tried XDK beta and stable, it behave the same way.

I send the exact same build to a friend which tried it on a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, and up to now, he has no problem playing the game. Everything runs perfectly.

The project is quite big (around 9000 event for now)

I read some people saying that they have problems with the sounds. I didn't test to delete the sounds yet, but I have a music (placed in the "sound" folder, not "music", because I want it to preload) during the title screen, and the sound plays on both devices, so it's probably not related to sounds.

I also read that there was problems with the blacklist of webGL on some devices, including some devices from Samsung. I did the following test : created a new project that just displays the name of the renderer, and it returns "webgl". Don't know if it helps.

I'm also facing another bug, which seem to be related to webStorage : When I activate the loading of webStorage (loading of about 60 number global variables on my title screen) and runs the game on my tablet, it's behaving correctly on preview over wifi running in Chrome for Android (IIRC, need to retest, but at least in Construct preview it works fine), but here, even in Intel XDK's emulator, I'm experiencing another problem. The title screen works ok, but when the game launches, some object simply doesn't appear. On one level I had all my characters diappearing, on another I had the background disappearing. When I turned off all loading of webstorage, this bug was resolved... But I will need webstorage to publish my game...

One last note : I'm not a programmer at all, and I don't know how to display the error message in XDK, or when trying on the device. Could someone explain, so I can eventually give additional informations?

Thanks !

• Hi,

I just finished reading the 59 pages of this thread to be able to resolve my problems. The first one seems to be a known XDK bug, but I will still explain it here.

My bug seems to be similar to this one : https_://crosswalk-project.org/jira/browse/XWALK-2655 (delete "_" as I'm not able to post links)

My game runs perfectly while previewing over wifi on Chrome for Android, on my two devices : Samsung Galaxy Young GT-S6310N and Samsung Galaxy Tab3.

In the emulator of XDK, it works fine.

When exporting with Crosswalk for Android, then playing the APK on the devices :

1) On the tablet, I can see the title screen, then it crashes most of the time. I'm back on the menu screen of the tablet, then if I check the running apps, I can still see my app running there. When I click on it, I'm back to the C2's loading screen, which sometimes freezes, or it either crashes the game again, or succeed to launch the game.

2) On the mobile phone it's the same, except that I'm not sure the game started even once. It crashes nearly always.

Hi Rable, I definetely think you have encountered the X-Walk bug 2655 while testing on your tablet. However I think the crashes on your Galaxy Young are most likely caused by the weekness of your device.

Today Xingnan Wang from X-Walk project has updated the issue with this statement:

[quote:3a24rauw]The bug is a regression of chromium after M37, that could be reproduced on both Content Shell and Crosswalk.

It only happens when loading large mount of images(300+ images in the case) via file scheme. The allocation of shared memory for caching the url request(file://) will be randomly failed and then result the error of image loading in blink. Continue to root cause.

I'm trying a workaround encoding all the images in Base64 and embedding them directly in c2runtime.js using the great beufreecasse tool that you can find here: https://www.scirra.com/forum/random-freezes-on-windows-phone-8-device_t80070?start=20

This will avoid the flood of url requests and hopefully solve the problem until chromium team will fix this bug.

I'll keep you informed if this is a viable solution.

• Thanks a lot, Knifegrinder !

At least I know that this is a know bug and that there could be solutions in the future. Indeed, my project has lots of images. And as 99% of the game happens on only one layout (exept title screen and maybe one other), most images are present on that "game" layout. I'll give a look to beufreecasse tool that you're speaking about, but maybe a simple solution would be to create a "container" layout that contains all the images and is never played? The "game" layout just need a handful of images to play each level, so I'll just create the needed object at the beginning of each level.

Could this work? Or do the bug occur because there are lots of images in the whole project, regardless of the fact that they are all placed on a layout that is never played? I guess I'll try it anyway.

Thanks again !

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Could this work? Or do the bug occur because there are lots of images in the whole project, regardless of the fact that they are all placed on a layout that is never played? I guess I'll try it anyway.

Thanks again !

The second one. The problem occurs when the images are "downloaded" by the chromium engine and isn't related with the number of images in a single layout. Basically there's a problem on how chromium (the browser engine behind crosswalk and google chrome) deals with a large number of local file:// requests.

This is not a C2 bug and is not resolvable directly through C2.

I'm testing right now the Base64 encoding solution and seems to work.

IntelRobert, I think you and the X-Walk team should put some pressure on the chromium team because this is quite a nasty bug.

• Thanks a lot for the infos. Then I just have to wait and pray for them to fix the bug... or your solution to to work. Actually I have at the moment only about 2/3 of the total images loaded in my project, so it will feature still more images when the game will be finished... (not even speaking about the music)

It would be a pity to discard drawings I already drawn because they are too heavy to export...

• I see tutorials explaining how to export to Android, and how to use Admob. But I also see that Crosswalk allows exporting to IOS and Windows 8:

1) Can I export a Construct 2 Project to IOS with Crosswalk? Does the Admob plugin work this way?

2) Can I export a Construct 2 Project to Windows Phone with Crosswalk? Does the Admob plugin work this way?

Hi clockworkmonster

I can tell you that you can export your games with Admob to Android and iOS (I don't know if work in Windows8) using Intel XDK / crosswalk. I don't know too how to export your game to iOS in the Construct2.

I asked a question about this, but no one answered me (yet?). Let's see if a good soul appears and informs this procedure, which should be very simple by the way.

Cheers,

• We are doing testing & documentation now for ios. You should be able to use phonegap exporter and build in the XDK for ios, android, windows, android/crosswalk. Just like the crosswalk target, you need to specify launch icons, splash screens, cordova plugins, orientation, etc in the XDK. It would be helpful if there is a separate 'IoS Intel XDK experiences' and 'Windows Intel XDK experience' forum post.

I see tutorials explaining how to export to Android, and how to use Admob. But I also see that Crosswalk allows exporting to IOS and Windows 8:

• Showing my ignorance about C2: Is there a way to combine multiple images into a sprite sheet so you don't need to load so many?

Thanks a lot for the infos. Then I just have to wait and pray for them to fix the bug... or your solution to to work. Actually I have at the moment only about 2/3 of the total images loaded in my project, so it will feature still more images when the game will be finished... (not even speaking about the music)

It would be a pity to discard drawings I already drawn because they are too heavy to export...

• Is the filename just letters and numbers? a-z0-9. I don't know if this is the problem.

If you put your icons in dropbox and send me a PM, I can try it.

I am having a issue getting up and running using the new offical IAP plugin where does my in-app billing license key go?

also for some reason my hdpi Icons arnt being included in my built game even though ive added them on the projects screen. And before anyone says i might not of added them ive added all my icons back into the project for about 10-20 builds and no matter what its never included

this is what the build page says about the hdpi

Installed hdpi launch icon

Warning: hdpi launch icon not found.

Installed xhdpi launch icon

Installed hdpi launch icon

• We are doing testing & documentation now for ios. You should be able to use phonegap exporter and build in the XDK for ios, android, windows, android/crosswalk. Just like the crosswalk target, you need to specify launch icons, splash screens, cordova plugins, orientation, etc in the XDK. It would be helpful if there is a separate 'IoS Intel XDK experiences' and 'Windows Intel XDK experience' forum post.

> I see tutorials explaining how to export to Android, and how to use Admob. But I also see that Crosswalk allows exporting to IOS and Windows 8:

>

> 1) Can I export a Construct 2 Project to IOS with Crosswalk? Does the Admob plugin work this way?

>

> 2) Can I export a Construct 2 Project to Windows Phone with Crosswalk? Does the Admob plugin work this way?

>

Thank you I was waiting for this information too.

You mentioned "testing" and now I didn't know if the iOS app will have the same quality that is generated through the android / crosswalk, which for me is the best currently.

I agree with you about to create a specific posts to sharing experiences about iOS and Windows Intel XDK.

• Hi IntelRobert,

I'm not a C2 gourou either, but I can tell you that C2 *somewhat* creates sprite sheets automatically when exporting for crosswalk. By somewhat I mean that many sprites are gathered together on sprite sheets automatically, but there are most of the time only 4 sprites per sheet. Sometimes up to 10 or even a little bit more but it's rare. FYI most of the sprites in my game have a 384x384 pixel canvas, so they are not small. But even much smaller sprites (like impacts) are often not placed at all on spritesheets, just 1 per file... So I'll investigate to see if I could create these spritesheets myself in a more radical way.

Thanks !

Showing my ignorance about C2: Is there a way to combine multiple images into a sprite sheet so you don't need to load so many?

> Thanks a lot for the infos. Then I just have to wait and pray for them to fix the bug... or your solution to to work. Actually I have at the moment only about 2/3 of the total images loaded in my project, so it will feature still more images when the game will be finished... (not even speaking about the music)

> It would be a pity to discard drawings I already drawn because they are too heavy to export...

>

• It's based on the object. Each object gets it's own spritesheet, or more than one if needed.

So if you have a sprite with 4 frames of animation, it will get put on a sprite sheet. If you have a sprite with 1 frame, it will get it's own sprite sheet.

Pretty sure that's how it works in a nutshell.

• IntelRobert

I would like to use IAP with Android and iOS apps. I found this tutorial: https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/ ... -intel-xdk

Could I use with both or only works with android apps?

Thanks

• Yesterday I built a project fine in CW today I'm getting "An error occurred while building the application. Verify your build assets are correct and try again." while trying to build the same project. I have no special characters in the game name, package, or assets, not sure what is causing this, is this possibly server side?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)