Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • SparklingAir well i think the thing that people forget is that we make these complex games that do lots and lots of stuff.. and we do it using a company's product to write our code.. then we take this huge mess of code packed into a single runtime.js file and try to run it through another service that is taking ANY code thrown at it and expected to produce a high performing product..

so the more complex it gets.. the more likely this just isn't the case.. often we test on pc's with many times the memory and cpu/gpu power and everything runs great.. then we are shocked when all of this game we make won't run at 30 fps on a tiny device.. in many cases it can but the more demanding a game is either in complexity or number of objects moving around the more likely something will not be as efficient as we thought it was when testing on PC.

• part12studios what about the obtrusive permissions cocoon needs from players? like identity/contacts? xdk i believe you can turn them off. is xdk on android now up to the same performance as cocoon is?

Namely I don't want

Identity

find accounts on the device

Contacts

find accounts on the device

Wi-Fi connection information

view Wi-Fi connections

• Zebbi I've never had a problem or complaint about the permissions.. also my main focus is iOS which has no permissions at all. Android is a secondary market to me. It's consistently brought in less revenue than it's iOS counterpart. no matter how much or how little.. always the same.

What did the Cocoon IO guys tell you when you requested they change this?

• Zebbi I've never had a problem or complaint about the permissions.. also my main focus is iOS which has no permissions at all. Android is a secondary market to me. It's consistently brought in less revenue than it's iOS counterpart. no matter how much or how little.. always the same.

What did the Cocoon IO guys tell you when you requested they change this?

The cocoon guys say very little to me at all, not paid support I guess

• but you did contact them to ask? Also posting this in the forum could also be a good way to get an answer and if you don't hear from them in a day or two, bump it up.. someone will answer. I haven't dug into it because i don't care but i know it's important to you so go find an answer.

• Zebbi,

I believe that depends on the plugins you are using. I have built my game this week using Cocoon, and there are just standard permission requirements (internet + write/read storage). I would also recommend looking around for articles about permission removals, like this one: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1071/r ... mpiled-apk

Haven't tried myself, but could be of help.

About the topic, Cocoon delivered great performance compared to XDK and their UX is just brilliant - it is faster and quite convenient to use, and plus, your apps dont get 20mb+ in size. Though, one should be aware of limitations like Letterbox-scale and Web fonts issues before going for it.

• that's what I'm saying.. it's not perfect but i've found it a better experience than xdk. that's all.

• that's what I'm saying.. it's not perfect but i've found it a better experience than xdk. that's all.

As of right now, with the latest XDK?

• Zebbi,

I believe that depends on the plugins you are using. I have built my game this week using Cocoon, and there are just standard permission requirements (internet + write/read storage). I would also recommend looking around for articles about permission removals, like this one: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1071/r ... mpiled-apk

Haven't tried myself, but could be of help.

About the topic, Cocoon delivered great performance compared to XDK and their UX is just brilliant - it is faster and quite convenient to use, and plus, your apps dont get 20mb+ in size. Though, one should be aware of limitations like Letterbox-scale and Web fonts issues before going for it.

Tools looks good!! I get this:

[quote:33ht74u7]Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: Could not decode ars

c file

at brut.androlib.res.decoder.ARSCDecoder.decode(ARSCDecoder.java:55)

at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.getResPackagesFromApk(AndrolibRes

ources.java:315)

at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.loadMainPkg(AndrolibResources.jav

a:50)

at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.getResTable(AndrolibResources.jav

a:43)

at brut.androlib.Androlib.getResTable(Androlib.java:44)

at brut.androlib.ApkDecoder.getResTable(ApkDecoder.java:148)

at brut.androlib.ApkDecoder.decode(ApkDecoder.java:98)

at brut.apktool.Main.cmdDecode(Main.java:128)

at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:65)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Expected: 0x001c0001, got: 0x00000000

at brut.util.ExtDataInput.skipCheckInt(ExtDataInput.java:48)

at brut.androlib.res.decoder.StringBlock.read(StringBlock.java:45)

at brut.androlib.res.decoder.ARSCDecoder.readPackage(ARSCDecoder.java:97

)

at brut.androlib.res.decoder.ARSCDecoder.readTable(ARSCDecoder.java:82)

at brut.androlib.res.decoder.ARSCDecoder.decode(ARSCDecoder.java:48)

... 8 more

Maybe new version doesn't work with the tool? Would you say the very latest XDK is still beaten by C.io's performance?

• Zebbi ,

Yes, i can confirm the performance. I have spent a week or two of testing and Cocoon beats latest XDK. Btw, my game was completely unplayable on Android 4.2.2 (which still holds like 25% of market share) via XDK + Crosswalk, but with Cocoon performance is quite good. I also experienced some bugs regarding music and advertisement in XDK, but Cocoon had nothing like that. I also tried building by Adobe's Phonegapp - the performance was the worst there. Just FYI.

About your error - the post was in 2014, and a lot could change in this process. I recommend double checking the plug-ins you are using and maybe remove some of them which are not necessary which are not required. As of 09 June 2016, Cocoon is your best shot. It is not perfect, but it is edible.

• Zebbi ,

Yes, i can confirm the performance. I have spent a week or two of testing and Cocoon beats latest XDK. Btw, my game was completely unplayable on Android 4.2.2 (which still holds like 25% of market share) via XDK + Crosswalk, but with Cocoon performance is quite good. I also experienced some bugs regarding music and advertisement in XDK, but Cocoon had nothing like that. I also tried building by Adobe's Phonegapp - the performance was the worst there. Just FYI.

About your error - the post was in 2014, and a lot could change in this process. I recommend double checking the plug-ins you are using and maybe remove some of them which are not necessary which are not required. As of 09 June 2016, Cocoon is your best shot. It is not perfect, but it is edible.

Thank you, I agree it has the smallest footprint and best performance, just shame it looks a bit like a spy when I'm just using admob and google play games!

• Is there any documentation for getting cocoon.io to work on iOS?

• Since Intel XDK is giving me problems at the moment ("could not establish server connection" error), I may as well find an alternative. Are there any *UPDATED* tutorials or documentation on how to start doing this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is there any documentation for getting cocoon.io to work on iOS?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a new documentation for CocoonIO and iOS.

You'll find the guides here

https://shatter-box.com/article-categories/ios/

If you miss any specific part, let me know.

Moreover you'll find some guides about CocoonIO and Construct 2 here.

https://shatter-box.com/article-categories/cocoonio/

Free code examples can be downloaded here

https://shatter-box.com/download/

(Licensed under Personal Use only)

The wiki isn't complete yet, so if you miss anything, let me know here or use the feedback button on shatter-box.com

Thank you!

• Just a bump to see if cocoon was still the fastest or if intel has improved since last year?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)