C2 Slow Down Over Time

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Time rewind like in "Braid". Choose objects that will be affected by time rewind
  • The reason we have bug report guidelines is because we need all that information to actually be able to help. In threads like these, all I can say is, I don't know either. The best thing to do is to figure out one specific action that you can repeat over and over and reproduce the issue as quickly as possible, and then file a bug based on that.

In the past we've had vague threads like these popping up occasionally over years, and as soon as someone made a .capx that reproduced the issue directly, it was fixed in the next build. That's how big a difference it makes.

Due to the nature of the incident, I have not been able to create a CAPX for you to try. It simply happens overtime with use. If I can come up with something, I will send it off. This is why I went the root of making this thread, to get others experiences on it. A handful of people reached out to me with similar experiences.

I'm still on release 246 and don't have these issues.

, have you tried installing an older version of C2?

You will still be able to open your projects saved in later version if you edit this line in .caproj file:

<saved-with-version>24600</saved-with-version>

That is a great idea, thanks! This issue only started recently, ill go back a version and try again.

• Diving in further, Construct 2 does not like staying open on my computer. Another new issue arose today where exports were corrupted. They would take 10 seconds instead of 30, and although the project loaded images were all kinds of messed up. This was fixed by simply restarting construct and re-exporting. But, there was no indication of a failure during the initial export.

My project is wrapping up here so I can try in-depth look at what is going on. But, Ashley does Construct provide a debug mode and logging to determine why I am getting this disturbing behavior?

• Ashley does Construct provide a debug mode and logging to determine why I am getting this disturbing behavior?

No, only we have the developer tools necessary to investigate issues, and in order for us to use them we need a way to reproduce the issue ourselves.

• Diving in further, Construct 2 does not like staying open on my computer. Another new issue arose today where exports were corrupted. They would take 10 seconds instead of 30, and although the project loaded images were all kinds of messed up. This was fixed by simply restarting construct and re-exporting. But, there was no indication of a failure during the initial export.

My project is wrapping up here so I can try in-depth look at what is going on. But, Ashley does Construct provide a debug mode and logging to determine why I am getting this disturbing behavior?

but, have you tried to do all this thing on another computer? because at this point i think the problem could be something on your PC.

• I noticed that too - it takes way longer then a while back, but I don't remember when I started noticing this. I thought it was my pc.

• but, have you tried to do all this thing on another computer? because at this point i think the problem could be something on your PC.

Once I have more time I can do more test. Unfortunately, Scirra does not provide users with any tools to do any real debugging. Even *if* I determine it is just my computer, the *why* it is my computer is very important.

I noticed that too - it takes way longer then a while back, but I don't remember when I started noticing this. I thought it was my pc.

How about opening dialogs, do you have any issue there?

• Once I have more time I can do more test. Unfortunately, Scirra does not provide users with any tools to do any real debugging. Even *if* I determine it is just my computer, the *why* it is my computer is very important.

Well, the *why* is your computer, in case, it's your problem, not Scirra problem!

with all these problems, in your place, the first thing I would try to do would be a quick test of the project on another PC. Just to take the doubt off that it did not depend on me, or on my PC. Only then, eventually, I would open a thread to look for possible solutions..

Ashley spoke well, if you can not locate and isolate the problem, there is not much to do, and all this becomes just smoke and bad advertising for Scirra's tool.

So careful with this until you're not sure that not depend on you. So first of all I suggest you try C2 with your project on other PCs (maybe even on C3), and even more than one PC if possible, then if you find the same mistakes you can talk about it, but otherwise it does not make much sense to continue to discuss.

• >

> Once I have more time I can do more test. Unfortunately, Scirra does not provide users with any tools to do any real debugging. Even *if* I determine it is just my computer, the *why* it is my computer is very important.

>

Well, the *why* is your computer, in case, it's your problem, not Scirra problem!

with all these problems, in your place, the first thing I would try to do would be a quick test of the project on another PC. Just to take the doubt off that it did not depend on me, or on my PC. Only then, eventually, I would open a thread to look for possible solutions..

Ashley spoke well, if you can not locate and isolate the problem, there is not much to do, and all this becomes just smoke and bad advertising for Scirra's tool.

So careful with this until you're not sure that not depend on you. So first of all I suggest you try C2 with your project on other PCs (maybe even on C3), and even more than one PC if possible, then if you find the same mistakes you can talk about it, but otherwise it does not make much sense to continue to discuss.

To be fair, it is part of Scirra's problem. I have their software running and it is not performing as expected. I am using widely run OS and hardware. Most software companies are more than willing to help analyze the problem, including memory collecting tools and extra debugging capturing tools you can run. These types of problems happen, that is inevitable with software in todays age.

I am sorry if you feel this post is negative, but that is not its intention. I am running into an issue, and am reaching out to the community. I have gotten very positive responses, except for yours. I have had many people reach out to me both here publically and privately with similar and a few of the same issue. This is what being a community is about, being able to reach out to others with problems, suggestions, and solutions. So I am sorry if you cannot see that. I have noted your suggestion for me to try in the future when time allows for more in-depth analyzation on my own time.

• have you tried with a perfect clean install of C2, without third part plugin, and working on a new project?

• If you dont want to do a reformat or fresh install

Then install C2 on a USB stick and then run it on the same computer

that should at least give you some further indicators

• If you dont want to do a reformat or fresh install

Then install C2 on a USB stick and then run it on the same computer

that should at least give you some further indicators

Reformat is not an option at this point in time (not really an option at all in reality. That should never be a solution for someone. Imagine telling someone to reformat production to solve a software issue, that won't fly). I tried a fresh install of C2, same issue.

Using C2 on a USB Stick is a great idea. This won't disrupt my current projects, and should isolate possible drive issues. Great idea, I will give this a go.

• Although too soon to tell, everything is fine on r239 coming from r244. I shall report back after testing this weekend.

• Update: issue has occurred again under r239.

The only thing that I Can find so far to reproduce it is to leave Construct 2 running and open for extended periods of time. When I shut it down after I am done for the day, it works fine the next day. But, if I leave it running for a few days straight it runs into this issue.

During this issue, (just tried, it took 5 seconds to pop an action dialog), CPU usage is <10%, ram has over 20gb free, disc usage is basically 0.

No other programs running are suffering performance losses.

Windows event log shows no issues.

Can someone do me a huge favor, and open up a project, and leave it running for a few days and see if they run into the same issue? it would be great if someone else could reproduce this and maybe we can determine a fix.

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • have you tried C2 and your project on another computer?

have you tried to format your PC and do a perfect clean reinstall of windows and C2?

• have you tried C2 and your project on another computer?

have you tried to format your PC and do a perfect clean reinstall of windows and C2?

I have it running on another computer right now. This is a numbers game though. If people can report back if having their project open for extended periods of time affects performance or not it helps. One account is not enough data to go on. Nor is two, but a handful is.

As mentioned previously formatting the PC is not an option because it is not a proper solution (it is complete overkill, like telling someone to get a brand new car because they complain their muffler rattles), nor would it provide an explanation to the issue.

If you would like to help, you can keep construct running with a project open for a few days and report back your results. That would be highly appreciated.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)