The Big NW.js Roundup - News & Tips

7 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • Updated the Roundup with the following change(s):

• How To: Test Your Game On Higher Frame Rates Than 60FPS

Thanks for your suggestions, keep'em coming!

• Yes, this means that "--in-process-gpu" is off the table and not needed anymore?

Alright, I tested this today. In order to see Achievement Unlocked pop up it is enough to use the --disable-direct-composition option but --in-process-gpu is still needed to be able to see the Steam Overlay (Shift + TAB).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for testing this. Since reviewers punish you when Steam Overlay isn't working.. we need it.

• Thanks to you both, I think I will add this one to the roundup as well.

If there are more quirks like these please keep PM'ing/posting them, I would like to update (+push) this topic once for a bunch of changes instead of doing it multiple times and annoy people that don't have anything to do with NWjs.

• Thanks to you both, I think I will add this one to the roundup as well.

If there are more quirks like these please keep PM'ing/posting them, I would like to update (+push) this topic once for a bunch of changes instead of doing it multiple times and annoy people that don't have anything to do with NWjs.

I think that those who don't have anything to do with NWjs are not following this thread and those who do would appreciate to be up to date ASAP, so I would vote for updating it whenever there is a new info.

• Maybe the lessons / workarounds listed here could be put into a tutorial and linked from the front page...?

Anyone with >5000 rep could then edit the tutorial as the info evolves over time - thus making it a good summary of the advice contained here (and doing that would save newcomers from having to read the whole thread for occasional gems of info, like the Steamworks thread). I could write one but it won't be until the weekend at the earliest (and it was TheRealDannyyy 's excellent idea to begin with....).

• Maybe the lessons / workarounds listed here could be put into a tutorial and linked from the front page...?

That's kinda missing out on the point of this, I wanted to sum things up with this and make it easy and understandable while doing so.

Thanks for your kind feedback.

I think that those who don't have anything to do with NWjs are not following this thread and those who do would appreciate to be up to date ASAP, so I would vote for updating it whenever there is a new info.

Noted.

• How To: Workaround Steam Overlay Not Appearing
    • How To: Use The Built-in NW.js FPS Counter
    • Some minor changes to make it look less like giant wall of text

• I too am in favor of keeping this whole thing as a thread with an updated first posting instead of a tutorial. For some reason, it feels a lot more accessible to me, and organic.

• The part about custom builds is a bit iffy, for the same reasons they don't want to promote Electron.

• The part about custom builds is a bit iffy, for the same reasons they don't want to promote Electron.

I mean it's not really my/our problem to deal with to be honest. It's always been possible to export and create desktop games as a free user.

Either way for cases like that there is the law, specifically the licensing agreement that we all have to agree with.

• Well it's not like someone's going to get a game up on Steam using the free version.

There's the 100 event limit, and the $100 fee from Valve.

Then again it's possible to export to Uap, as well as Phonegap, and even apk using alternative methods as well.

Im just saying it would behove us not to make a billboard with a tutorial on how to do it.

• How To: Only Have 1 Process While Running NW.js (NW.js V0.18.6+)
    • Added some minor info about the "package.json" files
    • The images used inside the post are now heavily compressed and should load faster

• There's some great info on the front page.

I have one correction to offer - if you download the "Normal" version of NWjs then you don't need to add --disable-direct-composition to the "chromium-args" properties (the SDK simply does not exist and cannot be summoned in the Normal build by right-clicking or pressing F12 - ref (build flavours)).

...and I have a question. When disabling vsync (by adding --disable-gpu-vsync to the "chromium-args" properties) how can I then change the fps that the game is being run at to, say, 144 when my monitor refreshes at 60 Hz? I don't observe any difference to fps with the argument set (solidly 60) and that happens with or without a system minimum framerate being set.

Thanks.

• There's some great info on the front page.

I have one correction to offer - if you download the "Normal" version of NWjs then you don't need to add --disable-direct-composition to the "chromium-args" properties (the SDK simply does not exist and cannot be summoned in the Normal build by right-clicking or pressing F12 - ref (build flavours)).

I assume you meant "--disable-devtools" and yes, you're right about the normal builds not having devtools at all.

However I would like to keep NW.js starters away from custom builds and let them install the "safe" NW.js builds by Scirra, usually adding the arg "--disable-devtools" should be enough to turn off all those ways to access the devtools (right-click menu's and F12).

On top of that you're still able to open the devtools if you like to, by eventing your own type of behavior like pressing a secret combination of keys.

...and I have a question. When disabling vsync (by adding --disable-gpu-vsync to the "chromium-args" properties) how can I then change the fps that the game is being run at to, say, 144 when my monitor refreshes at 60 Hz? I don't observe any difference to fps with the argument set (solidly 60) and that happens with or without a system minimum framerate being set.

I'm not sure if that is possible, I will look into that and see if there is a way to do that.

I predict that it's not possible because then there wouldn't be a need for THIS feature request. (Please consider leaving a Star.)

Technically we would drop down the frame rate from ~300fps to 144fps, so I guess It's like the thing they want to achieve.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)