Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • The plugin is much more accessible now, anyone should be easily capable of getting something 3D up and running

• QuaziGNRLnose

So I decided to check out the plugin. Pretty awesome!

I'm having a problem with lights though...where do you set the position of a directional light? To test it out, I'm just editing values from your 2D physics example. Changing the target x,y and z of the "directional light creation" action doesn't seem to do anything, but the second action to set its position seems to set the direction of the light. Turning on the debug for the light seems to confirm this. I'm guessing that idLast refers to the target node of the light and not the actual light itself?

• directional lights have a target that you can move around and a position. the position moves around the "light" but it always casts towards the target.

the .idlast stuff is the old picking system thats currently still used for lights. Im in the process of deprecating that system with subsequent updates but you shouldn't be creating many lights often (its slow) so its not too much of an annoyance for now. you use idLast to pick the last created object, be it a light usually, and then the plugin finds that object living in the scene by the unique id and allows you to effect it with actions in Q3DMaster. It's a low level system but it was simple to implement so its what i rolled out first to get Q3D up and running. Eventually there'll be a plugin similar to the stuff for model and point but for lights.

EDIT: looks like you found a bug that was hiding when i changed three.js version, fixed in next build im gonna release, target needed an update which i didn't realize.

• Q3D v2 is looking seriously awesome. Love the trippy new fps demo.

Anyway, I have to go to bed.

And not dream about disembodied floating heads in space.

Oh well.

At least I can fling magic balls at them and make them flash.

• Great to see it updated! Can't wait to test it out!

• QuaziGNRLnose

I am beginning to dissect your fps controller example and start from scratch to understand the concept. I have my camera looking around with the mouse, and I am moving the camera in the 3d space with the WASD keys, however everything is working as planned, I still cannot grasp one concept, and that is the fps controller example acts like a spectator, how do you go about not letting the camera move up and down in height whenever you look up in 3d space and move forward the cameras height location changes?

I think it has something to do with setting the players position on the Y axis, but not quite sure.

Thank you!

• in that case you need to do some trig with the yaw angle to move only in the plane of choice, you could also make something top down in the editor, and use a behavior to move around in the x-y plane, but you'd need to change the way the camera controls/rotates from the example posted since it assumes that the y axis is the cameras up/down instead of the z axis which you'd use for a player in the x-y plane.

• QuaziGNRLnose

Do you have some top/down example?

Like RTS?

tnx!

• not yet, however the physics example is very similar in that its a side scrolling example, where a top down would just have the camera oriented differently.

• QuaziGNRLnose, I tried to include a pause button, which when clicked sets the timescale to 0. But there seems to be no effect on the Q3D system everytick events...

I tried getting around this by adding one more condition - System Everytick + Not paused state --> Then only animate...

But when resumed, the animation seems to continue from a different position and not from the position where it paused...Is there anyway to link up the system time scale with Q3D events?

• QuaziGNRLnose, One more noob question - Is there a way to position a Q3D object always relatively fixed to another Q3D object? should I use q3d.objX or something? If you could please let me know how to achieve this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • kmsravindra

1) no actions with any object ever work with timescale and everytick / tickcount, it's not meant to, you need to use delta time values in your expressions.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/67/del ... dependence

2) theres multiple ways depending on what you're trying to achieve. See the (parenting actions example) you can place objects so that they rotate/scale/position/destroy with other objects ( they wont pick with it however, you need containers for that), you could also simply set position to another objects world coordinates.

• Thanks ! I was able to accomplish what I wanted.

A question about shadows - Lets say the light falls on a "Phong" material object1. Now if another "Phong" material object2 comes in between the light source and object1, then does the shadow of Object2 fall on Object1 and vice-versa? When I created this scenario in a static mode that had all the 3 objects in line, then I don't see this happening... Do I need to do anything extra to make this happen? I am trying to create a Lunar/Solar eclipse scenario. Thanks for your help!

Edit - I have tried all the Q3D plugin system - shadows/auto update shadows; I even tried Light [Shadows] conditions as well...But nothing seems to be working.

Probable bug - When I set the Camera to Orthogonal for Q3D in C2 properties panel, then changing the the x-position and z-position of the camera seems to have the same effect. Not sure if this is a bug or intended functionality....

• kmsravindra

you need to set the recieve shadow property on them, and adjust the shadow map frustrum, turn on the debug for an idea. theres always caveats because the shadow mapping immitates real world behaviour to be fast but isnt raytracing anything.

the ortho stuff isn't a bug, you're not understanding that an orthographic camera by definition wont have any observed effect if moved along the axis of "depth". its not only intended, its the only way an orthographic camera can work, or else it'd be perspective.

• QuaziGNRLnose, Thanks for the response. I will try those.

Reg Ortho stuff, .When I translate the camera's position on either the x - axis slider or z-axis slider - both are doing the same thing...I thought changing z should work like a zoom in...My experience on 3D comes mainly from Blender 3D tool and thats how the ortho and perspective cameras work there...If threejs works this way then sorry my understanding was not correct in threejs world.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)