[Plugin] Windows Phone Updated - New Tutorial!

From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • thehen Certainly, I have read the entire article tens of times over again, but as I have stated, 22hHz and mono channel is not an option.

On the other hand, I also don't think it applies to "Any mobile game". My identical Android version clocks at less than 20MB at decent quality, even when maintaining multiple formats for the same files. I have also seen countless (music-based) games with high-quality at a respectable size.

This issue seems very specific to exporting to Visual Studios from Construct 2. It is unfortunate that audio happens to be important to me this time.

PS: Looks like 22kHz will do. I also cut the gameplay music shorter since the player is not likely to listen to the entire song. Still a compromise, but perhaps it's the best it can get.

PSS: Scirra forum's session expiry is driving me nuts.

• WPGamer, thehen SkyDrive on Windows 8.1 is online only by default so a local copy of the files is not stored. You have to go to skydrive via windows explorer (WinKey + E) and right click the directories with your projects and choose make available offline to use them locally.

• thehen Certainly, I have read the entire article tens of times over again, but as I have stated, 22hHz and mono channel is not an option.

On the other hand, I also don't think it applies to "Any mobile game". My identical Android version clocks at less than 20MB at decent quality, even when maintaining multiple formats for the same files. I have also seen countless (music-based) games with high-quality at a respectable size.

This issue seems very specific to exporting to Visual Studios from Construct 2. It is unfortunate that audio happens to be important to me this time.

PS: Looks like 22kHz will do. I also cut the gameplay music shorter since the player is not likely to listen to the entire song. Still a compromise, but perhaps it's the best it can get.

The Android version is less than 20mb, because Construct 2 compresses the audio for you. I'm assuming you're using uncompressed wavs in Visual Studio. 22kHz worked for me, but if the quality is too low, then experiment with different audio settings. From the tutorial:his will reduce audible quality, so play with these values to determine what works best for your game.

• thehen <strike>Is there anyway I can test the trial mode before uploading for certification? This part of documentation mentions it, but I can't get it to work.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh286402(v=vs.105).aspx

Did you embed any code in the project template that might have helped in anyway?</strike>

Running in debug mode should simulate the trial version of the game. I shouldn't have tampered with the project template.

• Are the ads coming some time soon? If not then what should I use to add ads to my WP8 games? Im tryin to use AdDuplex but its not not coming alond that well..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Um, actually they'll probably be coming in the month or so. We're just focusing on our iOS release at the moment but will be transitioning soon.

• Well nevermind ads (I think Ive got them working with PubCenter, they dont show up on my phone when debugging but Im just hoping theyll show up after publishing) now Im trying to figure out how to change the name of the project. Ive read the instructions on page 2 and did everything like that (I think) and now when I try to start debugging it just forcecloses it right away. Any advise?

• Hello thehen, I had a few questions... How would I go about cleaning up the extra stuff in the project before submitting my app to the store. There are some extra files regarding the IAP as well as license info, etc... that I don't need as I will put my own in.

Any chance you can cover the cleanup as well as the equivalent of adding the store association and other required info for the appmanifest? I want to make sure I am not missing any of your references, or info that needs to be removed before I upload my own app that uses your project template.

I also tried doing the base64 encode and that shot my filesize on my .js up to 20MB from 3.8MB. Needless to say this causes the app to fail when testing on devices (Lumia 928). I am now trying to do some png compression tools, but am not sure it will work. any guidelines for tools to convert all my images over to png8?

• thehen so now I have exported all graphics as PNG8, ran the base 64 encoder tool and added the extended memory call. Everything seems to be going well.

Now I just need to make sure everything is cleaned up. In terms of the license and developer info, as well as updating the name of the projects and solution. Any word on what all we need to remove in order to clear out any leftovers from the example in the project?

• BluePhaze the only thing you need to really worry about is the WMAppManifest.xml and filling in your details. There are dependencies for IAP support etc. and removing them could break any future updates.

Also after base64 encoding your images, you can remove the image files from the project to reduce your project size.

• Thanks thehen, after encoding if the original images are still in the images folder, do they still get loaded into memory with the game?

• BluePhaze, not loaded into memory, but they will bloat the XAP file.

• thehen Ok great thanks! Turns out I am still getting some out of memory errors once the game has been played for awhile... I am currently going back through my game and turning off any unnecessary collision detection and disabling solid behavior on objects that the player cannot touch. Not sure if that will help... the c2runtim.js is currently about 9-10MB after the base64 encoding. Not sure how to limit the memory usage any more than it is. ANy thoughts on other ways to save on memory?

All images are png8 now and base 64 encoded. According to C2 (though I don't know how accurate it is due to the png8 and base64) the app is currently estimated at: 20MB Download and 69MB of Memory...

I did the base 64 encode due to the game having horrible framerates on certain areas on WP8. On iPhone and Android devices it seems to run great (WebGL and/or CocoonJS) but since WP8 does not do layout by layout loading, I am assuming this is my issue.

• thehen Thank you for awesome plugin and tutorial! It worked flawlessly on our first mobile game (Anipair).

• BluePhaze oops not sure how I missed your post.

I'd recommend looking into PNG-8 compression using Fireworks with alpha transparency. First export from C2 as 32-bit, then go through image-by-image in Fireworks, rexporting as PNG-8, with a focus on limiting the palette as much as possible. 16-128 colours are usually fine. Finally run a tool called PNGauntlet to further shrink the PNGs.

After you've done this to reduce image size as much as possible, then run the base64 encoding tool.

Your c2runtime file is currently teetering on the edge of being too large, which causes the crashes. These image optimisations should bring it back down to a workable size.

esap no worries, congrats on the game!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 4 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 4 guests)