[Plugin] SpriteFont+

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Forget about default textbox restrictions, you can create sprites atop of the textbox
  • digitalsoapbox,

To answer your questions:

1. This plugin allows the sprite font to be displayed correctly in the editor, as described in the first post. That is the only real benefit to using this over the native one that I can see and was the reason why I started to use it. I know that the array/JSON technique works just fine - as per the tutorials etc - I don't really understand why you asked the question and think you maybe missed the point of the plugin...?

2. It's not the end of the world for me, but it would have been if I had spent the last 3 months using this plugin throughout my project.... My point about 3rd party plugin support is about my concern that a critical plugin might get broken by a C2 update. If you've spent months on a project and then it's trashed by scirra's lack of support of these plugins - well, that's not a good thing! I am not saying that spritefont+ is necessarily one of these plugins, but this is just an example of the risk anyone takes by using a 3rd party plugin with C2. Of course multiplayer is going to be great...

• digitalsoapbox,

To answer your questions:

1. This plugin allows the sprite font to be displayed correctly in the editor, as described in the first post. That is the only real benefit to using this over the native one that I can see and was the reason why I started to use it. I know that the array/JSON technique works just fine - as per the tutorials etc - I don't really understand why you asked the question and think you maybe missed the point of the plugin...?

2. It's not the end of the world for me, but it would have been if I had spent the last 3 months using this plugin throughout my project.... My point about 3rd party plugin support is about my concern that a critical plugin might get broken by a C2 update. If you've spent months on a project and then it's trashed by scirra's lack of support of these plugins - well, that's not a good thing! I am not saying that spritefont+ is necessarily one of these plugins, but this is just an example of the risk anyone takes by using a 3rd party plugin with C2. Of course multiplayer is going to be great...

1. I handle all text dynamically so I never see it in the editor anyway; that difference doesn't really affect in-game functionality so it's not something I'd considered - and that's why I asked the question .

2. I get what you're saying, and understand your frustration, but it's not really Scirra's job to make sure all 3rd-party plugins don't break. The same as it's not Unity/Epic/Adobe/Autodesk/etc.'s job to do the same w/ third-party plugins for their software. Again, I'd rather see them improve/support their own software than worry too much about those improvements breaking plugins created & supported by other developers.

It's just part of software development, regardless of the tools involved. And as you said, it's always a risk when using 3rd party plugins. I'm not especially thrilled when Adobe does an update that breaks my (paid, very expensive) After Effects plugins for my day job - and that happens a whole lot more than it does with C2 - but the companies who make them typically come out with an update shortly after. Luckily, there's nothing stopping me from continuing to use the old version of the Adobe software - or any of us from using a slightly older version of C2, considering 164 is a beta release anyway - until those updates are made.

TL;DR: It's better to be thrilled that such flexible, low-cost software exists and can be easily extended to make our lives easier. The occasional cost of using 3rd-party tools for increased functionality and productivity isn't limited to C2 and the benefits outweigh the downsides considerably.

• digitalsoapbox - I totally agree with how great C2 is and I know I'm being a bit picky by mentioning these little things... And your point about this sort of thing happening with other software is very valid. It's just that C2 is so nearly perfect....

• Can this plugin be fixed, please? It's a lot better than the official plugin, purely because you can see how things look in the editor, and you don't have to worry about arrays/JSON.

It's frustrating for me that Games Factory back in 1999 managed to get an easy to use Sprite Font, and here we are in 2014 and Construct 2 requires that you jump though hoops to get it to work. I very much doubt anyone could easily get to grips with the sprite font tool without a tutorial.

Best yet, make this the official plugin!!! I don't see why that's so hard. The author seems more than pleased for that to happen.

• Ashley - I notice that you haven't been tagged into this post at all, so I don't know if you're even aware of it. Might this be easy to introduce into an upcoming C2 release? I'm working on a text heavy game for the Wii U at the moment, and it'd be nice to see what my text would look like in the editor rather than only runtime.

• Please do not adjust official plugins or behaviors. We'd rather officially incorporate minor/moderate changes officially than have a third party addon published at all.

• Ashley - Makes sense. Still, this was originally created 5 months ago. Did the developer really not let you know about it? It's such a small thing, but it improves the plugin massively.

"If the change is very small, please just suggest it as an official feature. It can probably be added quickly in to the next beta release. This removes the need for a third party plugin at all."

If it is indeed small, please can this be added as an official feature? I've never really gotten on with the official SpriteFont, but this one was great!

Thanks for your hard work, Ashley!

• Ashley

This would be of tremendous benefit in all of my projects as well...So I heartily second the motion-- I would love to see this get official integration into Construct 2.

And hopefully soon... ---

• Not sure why this isn't default from the start to be honest. The official plugin appears to be overly complicated, and this plugin was a massive help. It's probably a massive job to change it though, sadly.

• This definitely should be standard within the official program as I think many people will struggle with sprite fonts when it should be straight forward, and it's essential in game design to help the game look as it should all the time for all users!

As this is 3rd party I'm assuming one of the main downsides is that it won't work on the Scirra Arcade....?

• This definitely should be standard within the official program as I think many people will struggle with sprite fonts when it should be straight forward, and it's essential in game design to help the game look as it should all the time for all users!

As this is 3rd party I'm assuming one of the main downsides is that it won't work on the Scirra Arcade....?

+one thousand

one of the best fix ever

• Ashley, is there any chance of this update coming to the official plugin any time soon? I've been working on other aspects of my game recently with the belief that this may be happening. Creating Sprite Fonts seems to be a bit of a chore for me at the moment, and people seem to be enthusiastic about this change.

If the plugin is already there, and the editor has already said he'd be happy with a change, would it be a quick change, or a massive, time-consuming one?

• Yeah i always use SpriteFont+ instead of the offical one, hope this update can be added to Construct 2 soon.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It relies on third party tools that we can't help support, and pasting blocks of JSON data in to properties seems like something of a hack, I'd prefer to come up with something a bit more elegant for an official feature. But it's already supported by a third party plugin, so there's no urgency right?

• Ashley - This plugin broke a few versions ago

Plus, it's just an edited version of the official Sprite font plugin, and you asked for people not to edit official plugins. I've kind of been waiting around about 5 months for this, so I guess it depends on a person's patience as to how urgent it is. For me, I'm working on a very very text heavy game, so with SpriteFont as it currently stands, I'm constantly having to make a change, preview the layout, get to the point where the text is visible, find something wrong with it, go back to the project to make another change, and repeat. The beauty of this one is the fact that we could preview it in the editor, and make changes in real-time without the need of using messy arrays, etc... but like I said, it's currently broken, and it seems the original poster hasn't been around in a looooong time.

If you need to make it more elegant, that's fine by me, but I really would appreciate it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)