This is very helpful and I has really hoping both of you would respond! I've started working with the profiler to make sense of the memory usage, and will look to see what can be done to reduce image size and even keep in the power-of-two size.
Here are some preliminary findings running the profiler (shift+f5) with x number of player_combat sprites on an otherwise blank layout:
- x=1: profiler shows "Est. image memory = 3700mb", mem usage increase of 0.8 gb (compressed) per Windows task manager
- x=2: profiler shows "Est. image memory = 3700mb", mem usage increase of 1.2 gb (compressed) per Windows task manager
- x=3: profiler shows "Est. image memory = 3700mb", mem usage increase of 1.5 gb (compressed) per Windows task manager
Questions:
- Why does the profiler show 3700mb image memory if Task Manager is only showing .8gb usage?
- The images directory of my project is 1.1gb. Why does the profiler show 3700mb for images?
I'm guessing the answer's the same -- 3700mb image memory is for uncompressed images. But any clarity would be helpful.
Thanks!