@ashley about new forum theme

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create your game with this complete pack of images and animations!
  • yes we much prefer the old version / theme / colors

• Colors:

Having complementary colors on top of each other like on the stripe causes vibration due to your eyes adjusting back and forth to the colors. Normally complementary colors work good when your eyes adjust to one and then the visual composition makes your eye travel slowly to the other one. When text is laid on a complementary, it causes eyestrain.

Contrast:

Eyes require value contrast (light/dark) to focus. A very light theme with no darks also strains the eyes due to lack of change in value. This also happens with thin fonts. From even a small distance a thin font appears lighter (a thin variation of a font is also called "light") and can become blurry due to how hard it is to focus on it. Cameras have trouble focusing on low contrast areas too and instead pick up the focus where light meets dark.

Layout:

Eyes are better suited to reading/looking horizontally and currently the line-height causes a lot of unnecessary vertical movement when reading. Having voids in visual design is good for splash pages and such, but for reading it's always better to gravitate towards legibility.

Anyhow, I imagine the migration wasn't an easy task so good job and congratulations on getting this far already Tom

• The real problem is that search isn't working. I was searching constantly though forums to see solutions for some problems I had.. The forums shouldn't be migrated until search worked well. Also old links aren't working. Basically the whole knowledge base has been altered and is in a unusable state.

At least you could've let the old forums locked and searchable

• At least you could've let the old forums locked and searchable

My point exactly! The old forum should be made accessible, until all the issues with this one are resolved.

• > At least you could've let the old forums locked and searchable

My point exactly! The old forum should be made accessible, until all the issues with this one are resolved.

Not that easy I'm afraid from an SEO perspective, all links need to be 301'd to avoid duplicate content penalties.

Aware there are some missing features, but they are on the way.

Regarding search, until it's out you can search the forums using Google, EG:

google.co.uk/search

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Tom,

Searching is not a problem. The problem is that 90% of search results are worthless, because all links in old posts are missing.

There are no capx examples, no links to plugins, no screenshots, nothing!

The entire subforums ("Completed Addons", "Effects", "Tools and Resources") are now basically useless because links in posts are lost.

I know you wrote that formatting in old posts will be fixed, but could you please confirm that the missing links in posts will be restored as well?

If not, you need to find the way to somehow make the archive of the old scirra.com forum accessible.

• I've said multiple times in multiple places that yes, we're aware and it will be fixed. Bear with us.

• To me the new format is very jarring and hard to read at times. Hope it's just me being thin skinned because I find the aesthetic downright horrible to the point I don't really want to stop by and casually browse anymore, hope the feeling isn't mutual to any potential newcomers.

Is there a way to view your own posts? There used to be a function to see all the topics you've posted in.

• Is there a way to view your own posts? There used to be a function to see all the topics you've posted in.

Yes. Look under your avatar. Your postcount is now clickable. They must've just added that. It wasn't there yesterday.

• Lancifer I still see "0 comments" in my profile, and there is no "Posts" link anywhere..

• The comments in your profile do not include forum posts. They are for comments made in other parts of the site, like blog posts, releases, etc.

Under your avatar on this page, it says "31 topics • 2,550 posts". That's clickable.

• Oh, I see it now, thanks!

• > > At least you could've let the old forums locked and searchable

>

> My point exactly! The old forum should be made accessible, until all the issues with this one are resolved.

Not that easy I'm afraid from an SEO perspective, all links need to be 301'd to avoid duplicate content penalties.

Aware there are some missing features, but they are on the way.

Regarding search, until it's out you can search the forums using Google, EG:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB737GB737&ei=8D4aW9STOcTJgAazja3wBw&q=scirra+forum+how+do+I+add+sprites+to+arrays%3F&oq=scirra+forum+how+do+I+add+sprites+to+arrays%3F&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1700.3105.0.3277.11.11.0.0.0.0.141.827.10j1.11.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.321...33i160k1.0.gSRmqyxhyMQ

Tom At least can you let us browse old scirra.com forum via ip address or make a downloadable archive that we can host on local server.

The old forums are very important to us:

Look at how many effects are not downloadable right now:

https://www.construct.net/forum/extending-construct-2/effects-31/webgl-effects-list-51897

• Old forums are not coming back, but let me see if I can fix those 404's.

• Old forums are not coming back, but let me see if I can fix those 404's.

If making an automatic tool to keep links from old forums, I offer myself as a volunteer to go manually to old forums and post all relevant links into these new forums.

Probably many other users will follow me .

The forums cannot stay like this with:

I made a great tool/Effect/plugin/sample file:

Link to download: "link missing"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)