Spriter Pro - (Tools)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your craft game come to life with this sounds :D
  • Spriter Pro— Now for sale in the Scirra Store!

Spriter is the ultimate 2D animation and object creation tool. It's an intuitive animation tool that lets you animate with or without bones, or any combination thereof, along with frame by frame features. A host of other useful features like tweening curves, inverse kinematics, and onion skinning make creating amazing animations a breeze.Create silky smooth, state of the art 2D animated characters and effects that play back in your games exactly as they did in the editor. No more picking and choosing which frames of animation will make it into your game. Animations tween in real time to give your games that super smooth look that only modular animation can provide. The Spriter importer Scirra has built into Construct 2, and the scml plugin give you access to a family/group of sprite objects, so you can play your animations back, but still have access to each individual sprite you used to make up the body.Additional game related features like animated collision boxes and action points (think animated Image Points) make editing game data into an intuitive artistic visual process that integrates powerfully with Construct 2's event system. Character Maps allow you to create variations or 'skins' for your characters. Without any additional time or animation data, you can add accessories like weapons and clothing, or even swap out the entire character's art to make a completely different character that shares the animation data. These character maps can be swapped and combined on the fly using actions with the scml plugin.There are a host of other amazing features coming to both Spriter and the C2 plugin, and these will all be free updates to Spriter Pro owners.(Get the plugin and detailed import instructions here: )

Use this topic to leave comments, ask questions and talk about Spriter - Pro

• Hello!

I have some doubts. So let's ask:

• Buying Spriter do I gain access to any sprite?
    • Can I use it commercially without the need to mention any party other than myself?
    • Can I use it, with little or a lot of effort, to make animations not just for games but a whole animation, let's say.. 10 minute animation?
    • Is it available for all platforms by default or I need to choose between Windows/Linux/MAC?
    • What are the dependencies for Linux?
    • Is it a specific Linux distribution package or distribution independent? And what Linux distribution was used to develop it (just in case something odd happens)?
    • Works on Windows XP?
    • Has API to permit plug-ins?
    • Does it load images or can I just draw on it?
    • What is the maximum pixel dimensions?

Thanks for your help and time used for answering!

• Hello shuryon

- Buying Spriter do I gain access to any sprite?

'm not sure I understand this question. When you buy Spriter you get access to Essentials versions of all of our first party Art Packs. The Essentials editions don’t have as much content as the full commercial versions, but have a useful amount of content to make a useful and attractive game prototype quickly, and provide a very strong set of example files to learn from. This page has previews for both the Essentials and full versions of each Art Pack: http://www.brashmonkey.com/animated_art_packs.htm

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

- Can I use it commercially without the need to mention any party other than myself?

es

- Can I use it, with little or a lot of effort, to make animations not just for games but a whole animation, let's say.. 10 minute animation?

urrently, it does not have features made specifically for creating an entire cartoon, but there aren't any particular technical limitations to stop you from using it to do so. If this is your interest, it could also be used as part of your animation pipeline. This is a student film featuring Spriter animated characters assembled in other software:

Subscribe to Construct videos now

- Is it available for all platforms by default or I need to choose between Windows/Linux/MAC?

ne license grants you use across all platforms on multiple computers as long as only one person is using the license at a time.

- What are the dependencies for Linux?

he following command installs all dependencies not included in the package:

sudo apt-get install libqt4-webkit libqt4-help phonon[/code:akssl95j]

- Is it a specific Linux distribution package or distribution independent? And what Linux distribution was used to develop it (just in case something odd happens)?

t should be distribution independent. We can't test across all Linux platforms, but there have not been reports of Linux issues, aside from dependency issues we've already resolved in past versions. You can also download the free version from http://www.BrashMonkey.com to test it on your Linux distribution. I use the latest version of Ubuntu as my development machine.

- Works on Windows XP?

t should, as we do have XP users, however only they are only a very small percentage of our user-base, and we don't currently have an XP system we test on, so it's possible there are some issues that have gone unreported.

- Has API to permit plug-ins?

he file format is meant to be human readable, and this should give a basic overview of how implementation works, but it is not up to date with the latest features: http://www.brashmonkey.com/ScmlDocs/ScmlReference.html

We will be creating much more thorough and completely up to date documentation after we couple of important post 1.0 features developers will want to take advantage of.

- Does it load images or can I just draw on it?

urrently, it only loads images created in (any) other software, whether it be a painting, photo-editing, or 3d program that generates the PNG images.

- What is the maximum pixel dimensions?

his is largely dependent on your hardware. The free version of Spriter will allow you to push the limits of your PC if need be to test, but there isn't a specific limit.

• Oh, I'm sorry! The first question wasn't needed. D:

I tested it here within Arch Linux and apparently there is problems while running it on Arch Linux. It opens but one Black-Gray screen appears and that's it. For a few seconds - let's say.. less than 5 seconds - it stays opened and after that, it closes. Error messages are shown here in my terminal.

Error messages:

QWidget::repaint: Recursive repaint detected
    Segmentation fault (core image recorded)[/code:1012vtvd]

The first message is outputted infinitely while the software is 'running'. After it closes, the second message appears.
    The last message I translated because my OS is in Portuguese. So I don't know if it is in terms with the original English message.

I will test it on XP but I can't right now. So.. apparently, it's best to use this software within Ubuntu or Debian (better Ubuntu as it is developed within it, apparently). And I will test it on Debian Squeeze and Wheezy as well.

I hope it helps!

For now, if it works OK within Debian, I guess I will buy it!
  • Hello Spriter devs

I have some questions:

• In your website, you said:

[quote:3fy04jzp]IMPORTANT: Spriter 1.0 is still in development. This Early Adopter Sale price is a discount for those who purchase Spriter Pro before version 1.0. Official launch date of the full version of Spriter Pro is November 11th 2014.You will receive your serial number shortly after your purchase, which will unlock the Pro features. Additional Pro features will appear over the course of many future updates.

I didn't buy Spriter Pro before, so can i still buy the early adopter sale version and use spriter? Can i update to the 1.0 version in the future when it is out for free too, or i have to buy the new version again?

• What is the difference if i buy Spriter when:

+ i did buy Construct 2 Personal license before, in short buy Spriter in this link scirra.com/store/game-makin ... er-sale-78

+ i didn't buy Construct 2, in short, i just want to buy straight from your website brashmonkey.com/buy_spriter.htm

Thank you.

Hope to hear news from you soon.

• will it be on steam at all? like construct 2

• shuryon - thanks for the tip

Hello Spriter devs

I have some questions:

- In your website, you said:

[quote:3dk2smjx]IMPORTANT: Spriter 1.0 is still in development. This Early Adopter Sale price is a discount for those who purchase Spriter Pro before version 1.0. Official launch date of the full version of Spriter Pro is November 11th 2014.You will receive your serial number shortly after your purchase, which will unlock the Pro features. Additional Pro features will appear over the course of many future updates.

I didn't buy Spriter Pro before, so can i still buy the early adopter sale version and use spriter? Can i update to the 1.0 version in the future when it is out for free too, or i have to buy the new version again?

• What is the difference if i buy Spriter when:

+ i did buy Construct 2 Personal license before, in short buy Spriter in this link https://www.scirra.com/store/game-makin ... er-sale-78

+ i didn't buy Construct 2, in short, i just want to buy straight from your website http://www.brashmonkey.com/buy_spriter.htm

Thank you.

Hope to hear news from you soon.

You will still get free updates to 1.0 for a long time to come. We have a ton of post 1.0 updates planned.

Buying it now just gets you the Early Adopter discount, but it's the same Spriter Pro you would get if you bought it after the sale.

The version on Scirra and our site are identical, and you will receive the same support. It's just a matter of convenience for the user which they purchase. Also, if you purchase on Scirra, your serial key will work with the download on our site as well.

will it be on steam at all? like construct 2

It's planned, but we can't give an ETA just yet.

• I haven't personally looked into the program with any great depth, but I did point it out to my artist and it sounds like he's planning on buying (or already bought) it. Importing his work into my Construct project has been seamless enough, though.

As someone on the Construct programming side who won't be touching the Spriter files much at all (unless I need to resave them in the right format or rename something...small tweaks), is there any advantage to purchasing a copy for myself? The free version has been fine for those tweaks I've mentioned thus far, but I'm not sure if there's like, any limitations with the free version (similar to Construct 2 Free files having 100 event limits which would keep a Free user from opening a file with more than 100 events made in the paid version) or if there's a more advanced Construct 2 plugin available with the Pro version.

• I mostly make Isometric games. Can anyone tell if this will help me animate Isometric characters?

Any Examples would be great.. This close to buy it!!!

• I haven't personally looked into the program with any great depth, but I did point it out to my artist and it sounds like he's planning on buying (or already bought) it. Importing his work into my Construct project has been seamless enough, though.

As someone on the Construct programming side who won't be touching the Spriter files much at all (unless I need to resave them in the right format or rename something...small tweaks), is there any advantage to purchasing a copy for myself? The free version has been fine for those tweaks I've mentioned thus far, but I'm not sure if there's like, any limitations with the free version (similar to Construct 2 Free files having 100 event limits which would keep a Free user from opening a file with more than 100 events made in the paid version) or if there's a more advanced Construct 2 plugin available with the Pro version.

There are no specific limitations on the Essentials version, just less features. You won't be able to tweak many game-specific features like actions points, collision boxes, tags, variables, and events.

I mostly make Isometric games. Can anyone tell if this will help me animate Isometric characters?

Any Examples would be great.. This close to buy it!!!

It depends on the art style. For instance, Spriter is used as the animation component in Don't Starve's mod kit:

Don't Starve on Steam

Highgrounds uses Spriter animations.

Subscribe to Construct videos now

. Play here.

Referring to a more accurate and less stylized isometric style, Mike, a professional game artist, had this to say:

Even pro game studios with big budgets to burn would never consider animating an Isometric game with purely hand drawn animation, The time and therefore budget required is unreasonable to say the least. I can say when we finally get around to making any kind of isometric art pack, we'll be first creating and animating the characters in 3d, then re-rendering, breaking them into parts, and then reassembling the frames in Spriter...reusing body parts, heads, shields (images) etc etc as much as possible.

There's no getting around it...its a massive undertaking... 3d makes it much more attainable.

• Thank you lucid!

And yes the quote you provided is true. Its tough to animate isometric characters with pre-set of sprite.

I am using Blender 3D to animate my characters from different direction! Unfortunately they take too much image memory!

• [quote:386j6fj9]It's planned, but we can't give an ETA just yet.

found it on steam

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I love Spriter, but the audio of the YouTube clip (btw not on the front page, so at first I had no clue where it came from

Can I change those YouTube settings myself or is it just the way it is?

In any way, congrats with the big launch!

• I love Spriter, but the audio of the YouTube clip (btw not on the front page, so at first I had no clue where it came from

Can I change those YouTube settings myself or is it just the way it is?

In any way, congrats with the big launch!

Thanks. Do you mean the Scirra Store? The youtube clip starts muted for me when I go that page, so I guess it's a flash player setting, and I'm not sure exactly where it gets saved. My youtube audio wasn't muted when I'd first get to a page until recently, and I'm not sure how I changed the setting (just tried unmuting and going back to the page, but it still starts off muted). But no, there's no video settings on my end that I know of to prevent that.

• > I love Spriter, but the audio of the YouTube clip (btw not on the front page, so at first I had no clue where it came from

> Can I change those YouTube settings myself or is it just the way it is?

>

> In any way, congrats with the big launch!

>

Thanks. Do you mean the Scirra Store? The youtube clip starts muted for me when I go that page, so I guess it's a flash player setting, and I'm not sure exactly where it gets saved. My youtube audio wasn't muted when I'd first get to a page until recently, and I'm not sure how I changed the setting (just tried unmuting and going back to the page, but it still starts off muted). But no, there's no video settings on my end that I know of to prevent that.

Yeah in the Scirra Store Hmm ok I'll check it out, it only happens here. Thanks for your time!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)