Mixamo.com provides Animated 3D characters. Starts from
1) creating your 3D model (either creating your own using the FREE adobe Fuse or choosing from a variety of wonderful, royalty free 3D models) ,
2) Rigging your model FREE, and
3) animating the model (there are +4000 free animations clips). No 3D knowledge required, simple clicks and you character is ready!
3D is awesome, but many developers still love 2D because of its simplicity. You need neither a heavy 3D models nor a heavy 3D engine to deal with. There are many amazing 2D games in the market, and some are created with a professional 3D looking that you cannot believe it is 2D, but there are limitations!
The question is: there are huge 3D resources on the web so why we cannot utilize and use them for our 2D games. Is there any tool that can be used to fill that gap?!
Finally, there is a tool! SpritMator (from spritmator.com) is a powerful tool that helps you to extract the spritesheet for the animated 3D model. You can create a professional 3D looking game and import it into your 2D environment.
In this article, I will not talk about SpritMator and its unique features. Please visit the site to know more. Instead, I want to show a real example of how you can use Mixamo.com 3D model and animation and extract the spritesheet for it.
Demo and Source Code FREE:
In this project I used the following:
License: (Royalty free)
- Idle (from Mixamo.com - Creature Pack - Idle_1)
- Punch (from Mixamo.com - Creature Pack - Punch)
- Swip (from Mixamo.com - Creature Pack - Swiping)
- Jump (from Mixamo.com - Creature Pack - Jump)
- Die (from Mixamo.com - Creature Pack - Dying)
#3D Custom Control#
Since we are introducing a new concept, we did not find a predefined Movement system, so, we create a simple custom movement system. Feel free to modify. If you need any help please contact us.
As you can see in the demo, we were able to use Mr. Maw (from Mixamo.com) in our game; and so you can do for any other model you like! We sure this piece of software is going to change the way you are developing your 2D games.
The Software still in its beta version and it is FREE! Go to spritmator.com, get your copy and surprise me with your next amazing (3D looking) game.
If you find bugs, or need any feature please contact the support at : support spritmator.com OR open a ticket within your member dashboard.