Tutorial: Platform School

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Dynamic, heavy and powerful rock themes. 11 music tracks.
  • I definitely thought the dropping through platforms with down was a bit strange, so a toggle there will be added. Jumping through sides should be fixed for 0.98.2 also.

• Hey deadeye, thanks for these, they were really helpful. :) I totally look forward to the rest.

• I definitely thought the dropping through platforms with down was a bit strange, so a toggle there will be added. Jumping through sides should be fixed for 0.98.2 also.

You are my hero

Hey deadeye, thanks for these, they were really helpful. I totally look forward to the rest.

Thanks man. Welcome to the forum, it's good to see you... and congrats on making the top ten with The Lake!

• Something else which may change to be aware of; 0.98 introduced tagged animations, so in 0.98.3 hopefully there platform behavior will automatically change the character's animations (if you tag them).

May be worth changing to that and explaining it briefly in the first tutorial .

• I really like your pixel artwork. Will you ever do a tutorial on that?

• Something else which may change to be aware of; 0.98 introduced tagged animations, so in 0.98.3 hopefully there platform behavior will automatically change the character's animations (if you tag them).

May be worth changing to that and explaining it briefly in the first tutorial .

I know, I have a lot of work ahead of me

I really like your pixel artwork. Will you ever do a tutorial on that?

Hehe, thank you but I suck... just as any real pixel artist. (Well, okay maybe not "suck" but I'm definitely nowhere as good as all that.) Anyway I'm not the guy who should be writing pixel art tutorials, that much I know. Luckily there are a whole slew of them here for you:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation ... pic=3467.0

• I've played through the tutorials, and they are really grand! Spot on. I commend ye, deadeye.

The moving platforms do not work correctly for me; perhaps this is a bug introduced with *.2.

• I've played through the tutorials, and they are really grand! Spot on. I commend ye, deadeye.

The moving platforms do not work correctly for me; perhaps this is a bug introduced with *.2.

delete the events that make them "work", and it should work fine. the new platform movement automatically moves your character with the platforms.

• Yes, as I noted on the previous page, and in the first post, there's a lot of info in the tutorials that is obsolete. They need to be rewritten.

Honestly, I'm thinking of waiting until the next build to do the re-write. I've been informed that there are features coming up that that I could write about, and waiting will keep me from having to re-write them a third time .

Anyway, your patience is appreciated. Sorry for the delay.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, I finally decided to sit down and rewrite my tutorials and immediately ran into a problem with the animation tags. Well, more like I've forseen a problem as I'm guessing the tags for platform behavior aren't done yet (they don't seem to work at any rate).

Since my character is using a sprite positioned at a separate sprite with platform behavior applied to it, the player sprite won't get input from the platform behavior to use the correct tag. Unless there's a workaround for this?

Or maybe I should just skip that part and leave my animation section untouched? It's still good info, it just doesn't use the tag system.

• Eh, it's a good idea to the tag system out of the way, since it doesn't seem to work the seperate collision box system right now. Oh, and you're re-writing them? Yay!

• Hm... I guess if you use a separate detector sprite with platform, tags aren't useful at all. I'm not sure of a good way to fix this...

• Okay, no problem, I just won't write about tags. There's nothing saying I have to, I guess

I'll keep the current info I've got regarding animation. That pretty much just leaves the jump-through platforms and the moving platforms I think. Easy enough to change.

• Tags should work fine, but as you said they won't if you use a separate object.

Is there a particular reason why you do use a detector? We're thinking of adding a 'test collision at X/Y in advance' to remove the need for them..

• It's much more robust to use a separate collider sprite. You don't get silly results like platform characters hanging off ledges by their nose, and you won't ever get a changing animation frame resulting in an object partially inside a solid, which usually sets the platform behavior off in get-me-out-of-here mode, and then you end up standing on top of a big wall or something.

I think you're on the right track, Deadeye - maybe mention animation tags in passing, but go for an event based animation system anyway.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)