Dark Asteroids

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Asteroids Game Pack contains environment elements, vehicles and a background to create an arcade asteroid space game
  • WIP, please tell me what you think of it so far.

It's a simple asteroids clone with a tweak here and there, such as light: Asteroids are dark unless you illuminate them with your noselight. Move with arrows, shoot with space, activate slow-motion with ctrl.

You get 3 lives and 3 slow motions per life. No HUD, background art or title screen yet.

The ship is supposed to look like it has lights on it... it still looks weird to me, is it okay?

http://octavoarte.cl/darkasteroids.exe

Edit: should I change the name to Dark Space Rocks?

• Looking good! Liking the nose light effect

• Server not found. Are you hiding something from me?

• I'm like the youtubes, not avaiable from certain countries

No, seriously, for some reason the server is unreachable from some countries... happened to me on a trip, couldn't get to my own site from there.

it's really really cheap so I can't complain.

Weird. Please try again later.

• I played dark asteroids And I must say I hate all asteroids games, all of them.

Only because I am so bad at them.

Nice game though.

• Holy bump mapping! Does Construct have a function for that? That's pretty impressive. I'm pretty impressed.

Looks cool, but it feels more like a tech demo. The ship is far too big to be able to maneuver around comfortably. The game feels really cramped.

• The game feels really cramped.

Hmm that could be why I really don't have much space for big asteroids. I'll see how shrinking the ship and its weapons goes.

How far did you guys get? I usually get killed at 11 by the tiny tiny asteroids, which are Evil and I might "fix"

The "tech demo" feel might be because of the lack of UI and title screen =)

bumpmapping is my very own Heightfield plus effect, you can use it too! (it's in the finished addons thread)

• What a great start to a game I can't wait to see the end. Can I see your .cap file to lean from you?

Here is my input on your game.

* I am not sure if I love or hate the movement when you shoot. But keep it a nice twist.

Needs score display, and high score of course, (sound, music etc)

\My biggest problem is the screen size. No one plays with small screens now and that window is micro.

I can not wait to see the final on this, and keep the name as is. "Dark Space Rocks" doesn't cut it

• Enlarging the layout at this point would be problematic I think... but It'll have fullscreen anyway.

I feel the same about the shooting movement, it was suggested by a friend and changes the game enough to make it interesting.

The game has no ending, it just gets harder and harder and harder. Is that a bad thing?

• The rocks look really nice, but the ship by comparison needs some work. And I know there's no dust in space but you might thing about a "beam" indicating where the light is coming from? Just a hint of one would do nicely and add to the light effect.

Perhaps when the jets are firing you could have a faint flickery red light light up the asteroids behind you? Just a thought. I mean, if your main gimmick in the asteroids clone is playing with light then you might as well go balls out and think up some other cool tricks you can do with light.

Oh, and there should be definite waves or levels. Even the original Asteroids had level progression, and an occasional spaceship to fly by and shoot at you.

• Nice start Madster.

The only problem I have with it at the moment is the ship size in relation to the screen, which has been mentioned in earlier comments.

I like the shooting effect, being pushed back adds a bit of strategy, because if you shoot when close to an asteroid thats behind you could fly back into it.

Insterested to see where this is going.

• The rocks look really nice, but the ship by comparison needs some work.

Yea I'm definitely not as good as you guys. Anyone willing to contribute a ship? I've been recycling this same design for about 7 years, back then I used it in SDL. Now I just put lights on it and darkened the rest.

[quote:s1jmqkoa]And I know there's no dust in space but you might thing about a "beam" indicating where the light is coming from?

I could add a tiny beam from the nose, just a hint. I don't like the idea of a full blown beam.

[quote:s1jmqkoa]Perhaps when the jets are firing you could have a faint flickery red light light up the asteroids behind you?

Mmm heightfield plus can only take one light source. It would look wrong. I do light up the back of the ship, faintly.

[quote:s1jmqkoa]Oh, and there should be definite waves or levels. Even the original Asteroids had level progression, and an occasional spaceship to fly by and shoot at you.

There are levels already? :s

Enemy spaceship: unlikely. It's a really small game, plus I'd have issues with the enemy's light.

It'll just get worse and worse until you die. Scoring will just be the level you made it to. I'll make it a bit easier (no tiny tiny asteroids).

I will add a powerup that comes out of some asteroids when shot, and that replenishes slow-motion or adds a new life. It will be unlit. Mwahaha.

BTW I enlarged the layout to 1024x768 and found it rather easy to fix everything. Now the ship is proportionally smaller and the resolution is bigger =D (and the background tiling is more obvious :s )

• There are levels already? :s

Oh, hehe... so there are . I just assumed from your post where you said "it just gets harder and harder" that there weren't levels and you were just spawning new asteroids... my bad.

• Game uplated, now with score and sound.

Arrows to move, space to fire, Control for Special.

Golden asteroids must be touched, these add to the score depending on their size.

Every asteroid you shoot splits in two, each of these has a 20% chance of being golden. You won't know until you light it, though =)

This has a bucketload of effects, please report your speed running it =)

I want to add registry-based high score, but I couldn't figure out how to use the registry plugin. :s any pointers on that?

oh, link: http://octavoarte.cl/darkasteroids.exe

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The golden asteroids are a nice touch. Spammers get punished now. I know I destroyed 3 golden ones in a row because of my trigger happy attitude.

I played it here on an older single core AMD 3000+ with 1GB of RAM and a Geforce 6600GT graphics card and I got about 40+ fps with some other windows open at the same time. It felt still pretty smooth and was very playable. Have yet to try it on my other newer PC, but it's unlikely it'll have any problems to keep this at vsync fps rate.

Also this gets really hard as soon as the asteroid debris become smaller. Is it me or are you just stuck in there after you've used up all of your lives?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)