another wave of Various Questions

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Human/Character Base Pixel Art Sprites in various poses (nearly 100 files)
  • i know how to break animation/movie into frames, but thank you anyway.

Yes, I'm certain you did, but perhaps not in the context of Construct as I explained since you are new to it, hence my suggestion.

my question is - are you aware how much space it takes? even with a "slideshowish" 1frame/second a 1 minutes long "movie" will need 60 frames. now get this: my intro is almost 5 minutes long and has been recorded and directed for 60FPS. now thats 300 seconds x 60 frames per one. thats 18 000 frames dude. 18k images. now add 48000freq 32 bit float audio and youll end up with blue ray-size video.

even if i would make then jpg and kick all the needless parts thats still a massive weight. the lone intro would propable weigh more then the actual game.

seriously, cut this for me http://www.viddler.com/explore/irbis/videos/1/

and tell me how it came out. thats my intro

As I stated before, space is project specific and so are the ways of cutting it and reducing space, so the only people who would be aware of how large something is going to be, are the people working on that specific project. There is no way I would've known how long your video is, so there was no way for me to make an estimate on space, only you would've known that.

It obviously goes without saying that something as long as 5 minutes is a different situation.

That said, looking at your video, it's long but it's not complicated at all. I was under the impression that it was a video with a ton of characters and action going on. But it's instead a lot of static shots that Construct can handle just fine, text over the top, some simple scrolling in some shots, and some light flashes with some music in the background. This can all be reproduced in Construct without the need for video, by using scrolling within each layout where scrolling applies, events to control text and movements, and the audio object.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • >

> i know how to break animation/movie into frames, but thank you anyway.

>

Yes, I'm certain you did, but perhaps not in the context of Construct as I explained since you are new to it, hence my suggestion.

>

> my question is - are you aware how much space it takes? even with a "slideshowish" 1frame/second a 1 minutes long "movie" will need 60 frames. now get this: my intro is almost 5 minutes long and has been recorded and directed for 60FPS. now thats 300 seconds x 60 frames per one. thats 18 000 frames dude. 18k images. now add 48000freq 32 bit float audio and youll end up with blue ray-size video.

> even if i would make then jpg and kick all the needless parts thats still a massive weight. the lone intro would propable weigh more then the actual game.

>

> seriously, cut this for me http://www.viddler.com/explore/irbis/videos/1/

> and tell me how it came out. thats my intro

>

As I stated before, space is project specific and so are the ways of cutting it and reducing space, so the only people who would be aware of how large something is going to be, are the people working on that specific project. There is no way I would've known how long your video is, so there was no way for me to make an estimate on space, only you would've known that.

It obviously goes without saying that something as long as 5 minutes is a different situation.

That said, looking at your video, it's long but it's not complicated at all. I was under the impression that it was a video with a ton of characters and action going on. But it's instead a lot of static shots that Construct can handle just fine, text over the top, some simple scrolling in some shots, and some light flashes with some music in the background. This can all be reproduced in Construct without the need for video, by using scrolling within each layout where scrolling applies, events to control text and movements, and the audio object.

first of all - sorry if i sound rude. thats not my goal or target.

about the bulding avi on engine... i done that before. actualy, the intro was buuild up on RPVX engine. but you see, it took me over a week to set everything in order. i know it can do the exact same thing in Construct from the very first moment ive seen its structure. but it doesnt change the fact - why build a house when you already have one? in game developing i always aim at efficiency. to not waste time for needless work, when it can be done just as good but in shorter time. thats how i roll.

for examples. i have literaly bazzilion of sprites and i can create any animated sprite of buldings, structures, any creatures, all kinds of vehicles(flying,swiming,driving, space) all of them being 3D renders converted into sprite sheets. and all that without a single "expirience point" in 3d modeling. ofcourse i can waste half a year learning .blender. but why would i when i can have everything i need without it?

Thats not a show off, just describing how i see things. thats mostly because i had been working as a payed game designer in my past(just for less then 2 years but still) and my work-methods aims always for the best productivity.

i am not interested in "making games", i am interested in "finishing games".

my game, its story, skill tree, tech tree, upgrades, planets, systems, alien rases, ships, creatures, artifacts, skill system, expirience system, damage system, battle system, mining system, crafting tree - it is ALL already writen and solid. i have 60 pages long, writen with font size 12 huge Word file containing the whole game, described and planed from the base to the roof. i dont design the game "on road". i write the game on paper, then translate it on computer.

my project is much more organised then it seems at first.

and back to topic heh... i know how to make the movies INSIDE Construct. i can do that anytime. he thing i DONT know i how to make the Construct play movies. both will lead me to the same result - having working in game movies - but second will also reward me with new knowledge, when the first is just repeating what i know already.

[quote:1uq42f6a]Well the simplest way is to use the avi object.Examine my tutorial which i have uploaded.It shows a full video within the window and that's done without any python scripting.And learning Python is part of learning how Construct works as well.Most of my problems were solved by using python scripting.

sadly the avi tut doesnt work for me.

a new window is poping up with label

Aplication 1 (DX9 Runtime)
    and message: Video is not available, decompressor "vids:IV50" could not be found.[/code:1uq42f6a]

the sound is playing though. but badly (its being riped from time to time) and actualy - none of my video players play the file also (lol) which are Media Player Classic, AllPlayer, Bestplayer.

but anyway, my question is - do YOU know how to make an avi file be played within the game the way i described previous using Construct?(fullscreen, no timeline, buttons, end on "any key" pressed).
    because currently - thats all i need from Python IF he actualy is the solution. i value my brain space and i always try not to trash it with knowledge i will use just once and never after.
  • ok the video codec is intel video 5.10 pcm sound compression.Divx avi Does not seem to work with the avi object ,So i had to choose the standard windows codecs.

And just to be very clear Construct is still in it's beta form.Yes it is a wonderful program but it still lacks a few keypoints like creating proper video intro's etc...,And it's Free.Personally i don't like fmv intro's,Id much rather spend more time in creating more game content than worrying about fancy 3d fmv intro's.

I always skip the video intro's of games anyway.

• first of all - sorry if i sound rude. thats not my goal or target.

about the bulding avi on engine... i done that before. actualy, the intro was buuild up on RPVX engine. but you see, it took me over a week to set everything in order. i know it can do the exact same thing in Construct from the very first moment ive seen its structure. but it doesnt change the fact - why build a house when you already have one? in game developing i always aim at efficiency. to not waste time for needless work, when it can be done just as good but in shorter time. thats how i roll.

for examples. i have literaly bazzilion of sprites and i can create any animated sprite of buldings, structures, any creatures, all kinds of vehicles(flying,swiming,driving, space) all of them being 3D renders converted into sprite sheets. and all that without a single "expirience point" in 3d modeling. ofcourse i can waste half a year learning .blender. but why would i when i can have everything i need without it?

Thats not a show off, just describing how i see things. thats mostly because i had been working as a payed game designer in my past(just for less then 2 years but still) and my work-methods aims always for the best productivity.

i am not interested in "making games", i am interested in "finishing games".

my game, its story, skill tree, tech tree, upgrades, planets, systems, alien rases, ships, creatures, artifacts, skill system, expirience system, damage system, battle system, mining system, crafting tree - it is ALL already writen and solid. i have 60 pages long, writen with font size 12 huge Word file containing the whole game, described and planed from the base to the roof. i dont design the game "on road". i write the game on paper, then translate it on computer.

my project is much more organised then it seems at first.

and back to topic heh... i know how to make the movies INSIDE Construct. i can do that anytime. he thing i DONT know i how to make the Construct play movies. both will lead me to the same result - having working in game movies - but second will also reward me with new knowledge, when the first is just repeating what i know already.and message: Video is not available, decompressor "vids:IV50" could not be found.

Outside of the examples you've been given and Draven's examples and suggestion to use Python, there are no other options. If you hate language programming or just don't have the time to learn it, then your only other option is to rebuild the intro in Construct.

• theres also a 3rd, which almost all of you are missing, and i am not sure why:

someone will help me.

i know i would.

after all this is how "community" is supposed to be.

on diffrent GameDev forums it works perfectly. why most of you here work alone?

like a bounch of hermits living on secluded islands.

dont feel offended by my words, its just a view from outsider perspective.

you may be used to how it is and you are not aware of it, but for me it literaly hits the eyes.

[sorry for this off-topic btw. but then again - i am de-railing my own thread so i am the one who suffers the most ]

• Ok we tried to help.And were not like a bunch of hermits either,Be patient is the keyword here.Your still new here.And by going on about "Different forums" it's pretty much the same on all the forums.

Ive been here a few months and although i was an complete ass sometimes ,The good people of Scirra still helped me out with my problems.

• i didnt say you havent. chill. thanks to you now i know ground.

i was just pointing out the missing 3rd option. no hidden meanings anywhere.

the options now for me are:

1.learn Python

2. re-create my intro on Construct mechanics

3. wait/look around for a person with skills and knowledge in python who would be willing to do the "python" job for me.

so... any volunteers?

i can repay with perhaps various game assets.

• number 3 would be : Rojohound ,Personally i think he is a genius when it comes to python scripting.

• number 3 would be : Rojohound ,Personally i think he is a genius when it comes to python scripting.

Rojohound. ill write that down. is he active around here?

how high are the % chances of rejection lol?

and thank you very much Draven

sidenote: i dont know who is your music artist but you owe him BIG time. i cant remember when ive heard such a great music in game last time. and what about jumping animation? did you figured out what was cousing to just 2 frames being played?

• Rojohound always helps out where he can.And jes he is very active within the forums.Thanks,Yes ive managed to get the jump and fall animations to have more than one frame ,It has 30 frames for jumping and 30 frames for falling now.I will post another video as soon as everything runs the way i want it to.My music comes from a local Dj here , which mixes various dance,beat and traditional songs together,We have been friends for 18 years now.

Keep on devving

Dravenx

• why most of you here work alone?

like a bounch of hermits living on secluded islands.

dont feel offended by my words, its just a view from outsider perspective.

you may be used to how it is and you are not aware of it, but for me it literaly hits the eyes.

What is this I don't even.

• Forget about video unless someone writes a proper plugin. Importing the video frames as textures is just ridiculous, don't do it. Try to make your Cutscene with events, it's the most efficient way.

• I'm sorry your saddened and confused about why we haven't formed an emergency "help irbris get FMV's in his game" research and development group, but i can assure you the punctual members of this forum are working on that as i speak. Aquiring property rights on our island and setting up a proper "NOT FOR PROFIT" organisation is proving slightly more difficult than previously thought. We don't know why yet but our experts can't seem to find any funding. If you could please help us in our charitable cause by making a donation of 5,000,000$ and passing it through an escrow service to our anonymous Cayman Islands account that would be great! I'm sorry for the inconvenience, these things don't normally happen but its difficult to set up proper communication channels and relay messages when your only access to the outside world is once every week by seaplane, and you're getting an internet signal from a jerry rigged coconut satellite dish.

honestly jokes aside, theres no way to do this yet, and it's not all that wanted compared to other more important features.

• and you're getting an internet signal from a jerry rigged coconut satellite dish.

hahaha greatest rant on this forum ever.

• Forget about video unless someone writes a proper plugin. Importing the video frames as textures is just ridiculous, don't do it. Try to make your Cutscene with events, it's the most efficient way.

"Ridiculous" is a totally inaccurate assessment without respect to context. The suggestion was made before I knew his video was a whopping 5 minutes long. Had I known that, I obviously wouldn't have suggested it. Context is key. After finding out that his video was 5 minutes long, I suggested re-creating his video with events...

If you're dealing with something that's only seconds long, it works perfectly and is not much different in operation from the standard way larger sprites with a good number of frames are dealt with in Construct. I know, because I've done both, never had a problem, and it always ran smoothly.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)