C3 Yule Log is Live!

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • I created a C3 Yule Log, always burning - up until Christmas at least. Turn the sound up for nice satisfying fireplace audio. Happy Holidays to all. Nice little 'chill' app, whether you celebrate Christmas or just like a nice fire. Click the middle mouse button to play with the flames. I am also interested if anyone wants to submit animations for the little 'stirring creatures', we already have a couple devs contributing. Reply here or on the Construct Community Discord.

Try it: kindeyegames.itch.io/yule-log

[Update, 3 days left!]

Thanks to all the contributors of sprites so far, more are very welcome!

Thanks to:

AldenwarGameDev: Wizard

rilemtwit: Mighty Goose

__sleepingpanda: Baby Dino

alce_x: Dreams&Reality

WackyToaster: Eggu

Newt: Bowler

Rory: Ghost

sizcoz: Miner Mole

• So far, I’ve added three characters from awesome Construct devs:

rilemtwit’s Mighty Goose

AldenwarGamedev’s Wizard

__SleepingPanda’s Baby Dino

Check them out:

kindeyegames.itch.io/yule-log

Looking to add some more characters - let me know if you have something you would like to add!

• Not certain what the exact purpose of this is but I have this thing I made a while ago and never used so feel free to add it if you want.

wackytoaster.at/parachute/eggu0000.zip

• Was thinking of maybe doing something like Cuphead...

Probably wont.

media.giphy.com/media/iD6V6f1lQ5zhEru9k1/giphy.gif

Kinda tired of trying to figure out how to attach images here.

• Thank you both! I will add them tomorrow with the next update.

In terms of the Yule Log tradition here is a quote:

whychristmas.com/customs/yulelog.shtml

The custom of burning the Yule Log goes back to, and before, medieval times. It was originally a Nordic tradition. Yule is the name of the old Winter Solstice festivals in Scandinavia and other parts of northern Europe, such as Germany.

The Yule Log was originally an entire tree, that was carefully chosen and brought into the house with great ceremony. The largest end of the log would be placed into the fire hearth while the rest of the tree stuck out into the room! The log would be lit from the remains of the previous year's log which had been carefully stored away and slowly fed into the fire through the Twelve Days of Christmas. It was considered important that the re-lighting process was carried out by someone with clean hands. Nowadays, of course, most people have central heating so it is very difficult to burn a tree!

So, what I have seen for a while is this tradition continuing to TV (e.g. a station broadcasting a log burning for 24 hours, etc.) Of course, now there are YouTube versions of this and there was a Hearthstone version also (now available on YouTube also.)

So continuing in this tradition, this is a C3 version that is always online, but for fun, I've added little creatures that scurry around while the fire is burning and it's just nice to collaborate with other C3 devs and artists on a little project. In addition I'm updating it by updating the itch website (and also am using Playfab for at least a message of the day, so I can update a countdown and perhaps adjust some of the fire parameters via LiveOps...)

• Added the cute little egg from WackyToaster, I had to downscale a lot (most of my sprites are 40-60 pixels square, which I forgot to mention.) I will also add newt's after I get my gif slicer to create frames from the gif.

kindeyegames.itch.io/yule-log

Anyone else wants to add a character? I would be very happy to do it! Only a few days left until the log burns out :)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks newt! Added your nice character, now live at kindeyegames.itch.io/yule-log

Still looking for more characters from other devs :)

• Thanks sizcoz! Miner Mole has been added to the Stirring Creatures and is now live at kindeyegames.itch.io/yule-log Don't forget to turn up the audio for the nice crackling sounds of the fire.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)