How do I turn off snapping for tilemaps?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A well commented RPG game template to learn from or use as a base for your own game!
  • Hello,

My tilemaps are 32x32, but I am trying to position some of them only 16 pixels apart (think platforms) and not fully 32px. But when I try to draw them, they always snap in 32px increments. I've been trying to use the layout settings but it doesn't seems to affect it, I also cannot find any settings in the tilemap itself.

Is it possible to turn off snapping or change the snapping to 16px, while maintaining the 32x32px tilemap.

Been searching for hours and haven't found anything, so any help would be appreciated.

• Either the tile map is 32x32 or 16x16 not both

• Hello,

My tilemaps are 32x32, but I am trying to position some of them only 16 pixels apart (think platforms) and not fully 32px. But when I try to draw them, they always snap in 32px increments. I've been trying to use the layout settings but it doesn't seems to affect it, I also cannot find any settings in the tilemap itself.

Is it possible to turn off snapping or change the snapping to 16px, while maintaining the 32x32px tilemap.

Been searching for hours and haven't found anything, so any help would be appreciated.

What you want to do is highlight the layout you are working in under "Layouts" at the top of the Project details(upper right hand corner of Construct 3 by default).

That should bring up the Layout's properties on the left hand side. In those Properties on the left side, you can change the "Grid size" to "16, 16" which will set it to 16 x 16. Or just disable the "Snap to Grid" option, if you don't want it to snap to the grid size you have set.

• What you can also do, is put an extra layer above it, and use a tilemap there, with an offset of 16 pixels, or that uses 16x16 tiles.

• What you can also do, is put an extra layer above it, and use a tilemap there, with an offset of 16 pixels, or that uses 16x16 tiles.

That's a handy trick to know :)

• > Hello,

>

> My tilemaps are 32x32, but I am trying to position some of them only 16 pixels apart (think platforms) and not fully 32px. But when I try to draw them, they always snap in 32px increments. I've been trying to use the layout settings but it doesn't seems to affect it, I also cannot find any settings in the tilemap itself.

>

> Is it possible to turn off snapping or change the snapping to 16px, while maintaining the 32x32px tilemap.

>

> Been searching for hours and haven't found anything, so any help would be appreciated.

What you want to do is highlight the layout you are working in under "Layouts" at the top of the Project details(upper right hand corner of Construct 3 by default).

That should bring up the Layout's properties on the left hand side. In those Properties on the left side, you can change the "Grid size" to "16, 16" which will set it to 16 x 16. Or just disable the "Snap to Grid" option, if you don't want it to snap to the grid size you have set.

I did write that I tried the layout settings already, but maybe I wasn't clear enough. It only seems to work for sprites, but not tilemaps. Unless I am missing something.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Unfortunately the offset with extra layer still snaps in 32x32 for me. The only workaround I managed to find, was to chop up my 32x32 tilemaps into 16x16 in the tilemap properties. Then use 'select a patch' tool(every time I am choosing a new one), and then draw my tile, but this is a very tedious process.

Is this really the intended workflow for tilemaps or is it a bug in the layout settings, as it only seems to only work with sprites.

• OK, not sure what you're trying to achieve then, because if you click on the tilemap you can set tile width/height and offset X/Y.

Sprites are different from tilemaps. If you click outside the layout, you can select 'snap to grid', etc. on the left properties bar. Those are similar settings to tilemaps. Those settings are what makes sprites 'snap'. Tilemaps have their own settings.

Also keep in mind, sprites usually have the image point in the center of the image, if you put it top left for instance, you can neatly snap them in the layout grid.

Perhaps you could show your problem with a .c3p? An example project will suffice.

• I did some more research into other gaming engines, it seems like tilemaps has certain limitations and I misunderstood what can and cannot be done with it. So I just have to change my approach. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)