Suggestions for Top Down Racer Car Physics

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Create an awesome 3D F-Zero style racing game with this quick n' easy template!
  • Hi Constructors,

I started making a top down racing game, and managed to surprise myself and got quite far, learning about arrays, particles effects AI opponents and all that good stuff.

What I am stuck on is how create good collision physics.

Right now, the player car is using the car movement plugin, the other cars are using MoveTo. if I have 8 cars on track, the cars colliding with each other is clunky and somewhat unplayable.

I tried making a physics objects and either pinning or setting position to points but physics object seem to pass through each other.

Can someone point me in the right direction of creating a semi decent car collision?

Many thanks in advance!

Tagged:

• Semi decent, you can use solids ( if you are not using them already ). just add solid behavior to cars then play with settings ( density, etc )

to get the right bounce on collisions. It will not always look right, but it will be semi decent as you say and definitely playable.

For really nice car collisions I am afraid you will need a lot more work and is not recommended.

• Thank you, I had solids in the first place and it wasn't really playable especially with 7 AI cars all using MoveTo to get to the next checkpoint, if you go caught up in a mix you couldn't move and wasn't fun. Wasn't so bad with 4 cars.

I didn't play around with the density setting, I'll have to investigate that some more. I will give it another go and see what I can come up with. Appreciate your response!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • lower density will make it harder for all cars to stick to each other, but I think I mixed up some things. I was thinking of friction setting in car behavior. Setting it low enough so cars bounce off each other, but not so low that they look like light bumper cars.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)