[Solved] Edge Grab Mechanic

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
On the Edge is a puzzle game where you have 40 levels to have fun with.
  • A very long story made short.... Below is what I ended up coming up with earlier today, oosyrag lionz.

Feel free to critique this Edge Grab section of my Event Sheet, only if you've got a spare moment at some point, of course. It's probably a mess compared to what you folks can do. I'm just eight months back into using Construct 3 after years of no game design/development. And took most of the Winter off, while dealing with other things. It's more like 3-4 broken up months really focusing in on it. The Ludum Dare(LD50) a few weeks back really sparked a fire.

I'm still learning, and a work in progress. As is anyone. But, I always appreciate the help here at this community, and enjoy a laugh or two. Mostly just laugh at myself. Good thing learning is my favorite activity.

Until the next rambling spree... I leave you with this thing of beauty XD

• What a lovely story :)

• What a lovely story :)

Haha XD. Why, Thank You XD

I'm thinking about becoming a professional writer ;)

• I'm lost before finishing the title. What exactly are you using pin here for? Try just disabling platform behavior/default controls when you enter a ledge grabbing situation and move the sprite accordingly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm lost before finishing the title. What exactly are you using pin here for? Try just disabling platform behavior/default controls when you enter a ledge grabbing situation and move the sprite accordingly.

That's what I ended up doing this morning. Disabling Platform Behavior in EdgeGrab State, and then setup a Set Position on PlayerBox using "lerp" to a position relative to the EdgeGrab Object so it looks smooth.

Thanks for your response :). I thought I had edited the title of the thread to "Solved". My bad

• Upon triggering ledge grab state, moveto might be a better alternative, basically lerp with more options and precision.

And then once in the hanging position, you would enable context specific controls/animations/movement until you're standing or falling again and re-enable platform behavior.

• Upon triggering ledge grab state, moveto might be a better alternative, basically lerp with more options and precision.

And then once in the hanging position, you would enable context specific controls/animations/movement until you're standing or falling again and re-enable platform behavior.

Excellent. Thank you so much for the advice :)

And, apologies. I can be overly verbose while trying to explain things in detail. Which can over complicate things XD

I'll give that a go, after Wall Jump and Combat States

• Verbosity is fine, lack of detail is usually worse. In this case though it was an xy problem, where you were asking questions about your attempted solution (pin), but pin wasn't really the relevant tool to use in the first place for your situation. So unfortunately the effort you put in to describe your issue was mostly wasted.

• Verbosity is fine, lack of detail is usually worse. In this case though it was an xy problem, where you were asking questions about your attempted solution (pin), but pin wasn't really the relevant tool to use in the first place for your situation. So unfortunately the effort you put in to describe your issue was mostly wasted.

Duly noted

✌️

Thanks again. I've got it working with MoveTo

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)