How do I solve these Top down character movement issues...?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • I am trying the 8 direction sample as per:

gyazo.com/dc9c8f6454200b6f9069565960a127bf

but I am having issues with movement, when I push the right key it will work, then stop then work, its really unresponsive, I never had this issue in construct 2, is there extra settings I need to set etc...?

I think this might actually be a bug so any input would be much appreciated:

Subscribe to Construct videos now

I made this video to show my issues with the 8 movement, I have also tried the example given in construct 3 with a similar outcome.

I am currently using stable version: r131

In construct 2 I recall just doing this and it worked. The hitbox was not even relevant, however just for reference in this it is set as so: https://i.gyazo.com/07a34bf7fad9c828a0a4cfa9f8c2edf5.png

I also tried to simulate movement but it gave same results as the video

https://i.gyazo.com/abc45dffcae3e8de366d5903796626ab.png

• Hello. There is nothing to worry about. I think you just misunderstood and this is most likely not a bug, just want to clear that up.

But you are free to report here : github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues

No one will stop you.

Explanation

Let me explain, in your case, it looks like the Preview Window is unfocused because of your Virtual Keyboard is interfering. This is not a bug. Instead, it is how your applications interact with your Virtual Keyboard.

Virtual Keyboards

About Virtual Keyboards, they work in different ways on various devices. In my current tests, just to make sure, I found out that my Virtual Keyboard doesn't unfocus the Preview but it doesn't allow controlling the 8-Direction behavior using the W,A,S,D but allows the arrow keys (which I only have a "left" and "right"), this is because, my Virtual Keyboard on my Gaming Laptop is a texting-purpose keyboard.

Testing Range

The test was done on both Construct 2 and Construct 3 with both C2Runtime and C3Runtime.

Conclusion

As I said, this is a misunderstanding on how Applications interact with Virtual Keyboards. And this is most likely not a bug.

I hope that explains that. Have a nice day and happy game development!

And Merry Christmas too.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I do not usually have the virtual keyboard / on screen keyboard I just had it open to show which keys I was trying in the video, hardware wise I have tried 4 different keyboards across 3 machines on two different os’s and it’s still the same result.

I agree a virtual / on screen keyboard could cause issues to this effect but an actual hardware keyboard seems a bit odd.

• but I am having issues with movement, when I push the right key it will work, then stop then work, its really unresponsive, I never had this issue in construct 2, is there extra settings I need to set etc...?

There are no other configurations.

There are tons of games already made on Construct 3 using the 8-Direction behavior and I also can't reproduce your problem. It's as smooth as silk on my end.

You can report to Construct Team as I've said, you might get closure there.

• Many thanks, I will report it and go from there

• So it turns out it was not a bug. Upon further investigation what was causing this issue was:

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/evernote-web-clipper/pioclpoplcdbaefihamjohnefbikjilc

Evernote web clipper for the latest version of Chrome at time of writing (Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit))

When disabling this extension the movements work fine.

Three potential solutions to this:

- I have informed Evernote of the issue: discussion.evernote.com/topic/118215-interference-with-another-app

- Download desktop build (Best solution!): construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/construct-3-desktop-build-beta-131317

- Add an argument to the chrome app of construct 3 so it does not auto enable the evernote web clipper extension upon launching the chrome 3 app, as you can't edit the extension settings when launching the chrome app of construct 3. UPDATE: For chrome do the following and the app should work as normal then no need for complex arguments: i.gyazo.com/8d250b064aeac2a2672497f87323f3fe.mp4

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)