Construct 3 desktop build beta (currently win64 only)

• We're pleased to be able to launch a first beta of the desktop build of Construct 3! This is an early release and should be considered beta quality. Please back up any projects before using the desktop build - it's possible new features like the folder-based saves could corrupt projects if they're buggy. Please keep regular backups as well if you use it. At first we are only releasing a 64-bit Windows desktop download, but we do plan to extend this to 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Mac, and 32-bit and 64-bit Linux later down the line.

If you have Windows 10 you can also try out the Construct 3 Store app which also supports 32-bit Windows and even ARM Windows 10 devices.

How to use it

Simply download the zip below, extract it to a folder, and run Construct3.exe. The first time you run it, you may need to approve a security prompt, or wait for an antivirus scan.

As with loading editor.construct.net in the browser, you must be online the first time you load Construct 3. From then on, it will work offline. You can use your account offline for up to 7 days, but you must go online at least once every 7 days to renew the account. This is all identical to how offline support and accounts work in the Chrome browser.

Features specific to the desktop build

The desktop build has virtually identical features to accessing editor.construct.net in the browser. The list of features only available in the desktop build is only the following:

• You can save and load folder-based projects. This allows faster saves for large projects, and works better with source control.
    • Single-file projects (.c3p files) can be saved anywhere on disk.
    • You can copy and paste images in the Animations Editor.
    • The Animations Editor can launch external editing software to edit the image.
    • You can export a project directly to a folder on disk, rather than as a zip file.

If you don't need any of these features, you may as well keep using Construct 3 from the web. You can still create a desktop icon and run without the address bar from Chrome using the "Add to desktop" feature. There's more information in the manual.

Note there are some other minor tweaks in the desktop build: "local browser" saves have been removed (since it's assumed you will use file and folder saves instead), the "use in-app clipboard" setting is removed since it's irrelevant in the desktop build, and the main menu has an "Exit" option.

FAQ

Where do I download the desktop build?

The link is at the bottom of this post. We will be updating the website with download links later down the line.

How do I update Construct 3?

Currently the desktop build serves the same version of C3 that appears at editor.construct.net. It updates the same way as in the browser: you'll see a notification there's a new version available, and reloading C3 will use it.

As of February 23rd 2018, there's also a separate download if you want to use the latest beta release of C3 instead.

Where do I report issues?

The same place as any other C3 issues, on the GitHub tracker: https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues

There is a new 'desktop' tag we'll apply to issues relating to the desktop builds.

How does feature X work in the desktop build?

If it's not mentioned above, the answer is "identically to how it does in Chrome".

Here are the links to download. The stable channel version loads the latest stable release of C3, and the beta channel loads the latest beta release of C3. Last update: December 11th 2018

Stable channel: Download the Construct 3 Win64 desktop build Chromium 71 (stable channel)

Beta channel: Download the Construct 3 Win64 desktop build Chromium 71 (beta channel)

Updates:

Jan 15 2018: fixed issues with preview window positioning and previewing with AJAX plugin

Feb 12 2018: updated to Chrome 64; now includes dev tools

Feb 23 2018: added new download that loads beta channel of C3

Apr 20 2018: updated to Chrome 66

Jun 19 2018: updated to Chrome 67

Sept 07 2018: updated to Chrome 69

Sept 17 2018: updated to work around issue with Cloud Save not working

Sept 19 2018: updated to NW.js 0.33.3 to fix issue with gamepad input not working

Dec 5th 2018: updated to NW.js 0.35.0

Dec 11th 2018: updated to NW.js 0.35.1 to fix issue with saving local files and Cloud Save

• EXCITING!

• Let's see...current memory usage...

Running C3 in Chrome (with no other tabs open).......667 mb

Running C3 desktop build beta......................................157 mb

Yeah, I know what I'm using from now on.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Lancifer - if I try comparing the memory usage and leave them idle for a minute (so they garbage collect/compact memory etc), then the difference is only about 50mb (~190mb vs ~240mb). I mean, they use the same browser engine, so it's expected their memory usage would be similar.

If you have a browser addon that wastes tons of memory, that could explain the difference, but that's the addon, not Chrome. (I've seen some ad blockers can waste hundreds of megabytes of RAM!)

• Chromes not known for being light on its feet.

Of course that does beg the question of why use it as the default.

• Ashley

Right, I understand that. But, I shouldn't be expected to have to disable my addons every time I use C3. I do appreciate the effort in giving us an alternative, though. Thanks.

• Thank you! I was waiting for this

• Thanks! Looking forward to using this for source control (I use bitbucket / git). Just last week I lost a day of work due to a user (i.e. me) cloud save / local *.c3p mixup that source control could have saved for me.

I do still like the browser option of working anywhere I have chrome, so will still use that sometimes too.

• Nice job guys, looking good. Will get in and do some testing in the near future.

• Yes! Project saves. Now every time I save, it doesn't resave the ~1GB of video I'm currently using. Thanks!

Edit: FYI I spent 30 mins making some changes, saved it as a project, tried to open it again and the app crashes. No error code or message.

• Great upgrade to Construct 3 !

The next step should be a permanent purchase option for those who can't stand subscription model.

I hope to see this coming, for now... I'll have to use other options.

Anyway, keep up the good job! it's looking great so far.

• Oh wow, finally a desktop build.

Thanks a lot Ashley, I've been waiting for this.

Also, I agreed with Alon. Please also include a one-time license model, subscription models aren't really good for some companies/developers.

• Great, thank you! ๐ŸŽˆ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ๐ŸŽˆ

• Well done! thanks

• Wow! Nice Work!

Now i get 1/2GB RAM free....

I know its use the same engine.... but i have addons and other things on my Chrome Browser making alot of RAM used for anything, now with this version of C3 i using only 100- MB

Keep the Awesome work!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)