How do I save to a cloud service to back up player data?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • Howdy yall. So, I've got a mobile app I building for android. I have added In-app-purchases before, but they were always non-consumables. I've never tried to add in-app purchases for consumable in-app currency. But I kinda need to for this game I'm working on. This is all fine and dandy, but now, I need a place to store the amount of in-app currency any player has, that won't be destroyed as easily as local storage. I need to save this number to the cloud somewhere, and associate it with their google play ID or somthing. I don't know any JS, but I'd learn a little if I had to. What I really need is almost like a cloud dictionary, where I can store In-app currency values for any given google play player ID.

What services do you guys use to store cloud data? Can you host a little database with like google drive or something? IDK, I've heard of people doing that before. How do I go about saving player data to the cloud for as cheap as possible?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

• you can use rex_firebase plugins to save player's data on cloud. Firebase provides a large storage and database, about tutorial try to check rex's weebly, he puts the example also there.

• Sounds good. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks. If anyone else uses a different method, let me know, I'd like to check em out.

• Alright ! :D

• I did a little looking into firebase tonight. I'm a little confused. Every man and his dog seem to have their own method of connecting to firebase. Some use other applications, some use plugins, and some use the scripting feature, and there seem to be a lot of hoops to jump through.

What is the best way you think to impliment firebase? aminhanifm

And if anyone else has input on how to impliment cloud data storage, let me know.

• Hi, not sure if we have the same needs, but just in case we have. I have made a Cloud Save + Multiplayer Network system for different platforms, most especially mobile and web, using the PlayFab service.

It includes the Real Currencies addon that validates the Mobile IAP for both Android and iOS. It then claims the product id of a virtual product item from your PlayFab server Store. It has server validation so it has anti-cheating features.

It also has the Virtual Currencies addon, where you can manage virtual items for your online game.

These addons automatically profiles players and their analytic data of purchases on the PlayFab Console, so you can see the players and their data in a user friendly interface in realtime. (You can also add your own analytics using the Analytics addon.) Including rewarding items to users, on the admin console.

If you want to know more, here's the website, documentation and tutorial.

• I did a little looking into firebase tonight. I'm a little confused. Every man and his dog seem to have their own method of connecting to firebase. Some use other applications, some use plugins, and some use the scripting feature, and there seem to be a lot of hoops to jump through.

What is the best way you think to impliment firebase? aminhanifm

And if anyone else has input on how to impliment cloud data storage, let me know.

Maybe you can try for the first time by checking this page agittm.itch.io/construct-2-facebook-firebase , he gives a free example for connecting to facebook and firebase with comments.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ah yes... The ever infamous play fab and master collections. Dont get me wrong , thanks for the info, but I just can't spend any more money in this hobby rn.

• And, aminhanifm, is that link only for construct 2?

• And, aminhanifm, is that link only for construct 2?

Yes but isn't construct 3 able to open capx ?

• Idk... Is it?

• Yes it is, just open your construct 3 then open the capx file just make sure all plugins that on capx are installed on your C3.

• Well, I took a look at this all today. Here's the thing: There are so many different ways people claim are the best to connect to firebase. I'm not convinced I really like any. A lot of the tutorials are messy, and a lot of them seem janky or use old plugins. Scirra referenced saving user data to the cloud in their manual chapter on In-app purchases. There must be a cleaner, simpler way. If no-one has a better way than I will proceed with trying to figure this firebase thing out. Thanks, aminhanifm. I will probably end up using that if no-one has a better solution.

If you have another solution to saving player data to the cloud, let me know! Thanks yall.

• Ok, I've hit a bit of a wall. I know that it is possible (although a bit complex and janky) to set this up using firebase and some iffy tutorials. I really want a better solution to this. Is there no other way to store player data in the cloud? I mean, I only need to store a few numbers per player.

How hard is it to host your own database, and read and write to it securely from construct 3?

I did a little googling, and it looks as though you can host some 'SQL' databases for pretty cheap. I'd rather not do that, but if anyone has any experience, please respond.

Also, has anyone ever used the scripting features to connect to google play 'saved game' services? That sounds like the best solution to this problem. From my research, It looks like the tools offered to me by google play are all I need if I have some way to access them. I don't really know javascript, and the fact that there are a few quirky limitations to the scripting features in construct 3 doesn't help. Is doing that possible? Maybe one of you could take a look and tell me if this is possible with construct 3's runtime: developers.google.com/games/services/common/concepts/savedgames

It doesn't actually look that hard. I just need to know if it is possible before wasting my time trying to get it to work.

Outside of that, I am really just curious about what the scirra team members would recommend doing to save player currency online somewhere. They usually know what the best way to go about things is. Let me know if one of you guys read this. I'd be curious if you had an opinion.

• I was reading an older thread on the topic of firebase, and RozekEnhance linked to a service that can add firebase to construct. I am currently trying to find a way to store player data in a database somewhere to keep track of the amount of in-app currency a player owns at any time.

Depending on how you want to use Firebase, you can integrate it quickly and easily with Enhance.

For more info, just follow the link: goo.gl/LUc3iD

Is it possible to use this service to use firebase's database features RozekEnhance?

So right now, I have 3 possible options:

• Enhance - (from what I can tell, they may not use firebase database features, we'll have to see what Rozek says)
    • Implementing firebase myself with one of the many different tutorials
    • Paying extra to use play fab

Surely there are better options than those. Anyone else?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)