How do I make random dungeon generator?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template for top-down view games)
  • I am making a top-down shooter game.I want to player see different dungeons when player died or another playthrough.Because of that I want to make random dungeon generator. I thought i can prepere preset tilemap rooms and connect together somehow. I dont know to how to do that. I just want to example or clue to do that.

This is my idea for rooms:

ps: I am not naitive speaker. Sorry for my writing mistakes.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Gonna start off by saying this is decidedly not a beginners topic, and that there are so many different ways to do it you're not going be finding a tutorial or template that will walk you through exactly the way you want it.

Also, as far as game design goes, hand crafted levels are going to be superior to randomly generated ones 99% of the time, for much less work. I highly recommend building the rest of the game first, using a sample /example handcrafted level first, as the "fun-ness" of your game should not be dependent on procedural generation. When your core game is ready, you can add procedural generation of levels afterwards. By doing this, you'll also have a much clearer scope of what exactly you need your procedural generation to do.

Here are a few resources:

The closest thing I can think of from your description would be levels similar to Dungeon of the Endless: youtube.com/watch

gamasutra.com/blogs/AAdonaac/20150903/252889/Procedural_Dungeon_Generation_Algorithm.php

squidi.net/three/c_procedural.php

• Also, as far as game design goes, hand crafted levels are going to be superior to randomly generated ones 99% of the time, for much less work. I highly recommend building the rest of the game first, using a sample /example handcrafted level first, as the "fun-ness" of your game should not be dependent on procedural generation. When your core game is ready, you can add procedural generation of levels afterwards. By doing this, you'll also have a much clearer scope of what exactly you need your procedural generation to do.

Thanks for the advise. I will make my game half handcrafted , half random generated. For generetor part , i bought dop2000's random level generator from store. And for "fun-ness" part , I wrote fun and absurt little story which fun with my countries politics in a parody way.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)