How do I quick switch between tilemaps w/ collision sprites?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Design for game, asset for game, game kit, UI design, completed design for game, mobile game, Dashify Switch
  • Hi all,

In the past, I made a game that used a tilemap as the background and used invisible sprites as walls (let's call them sprite-blocks).

This worked pretty well.

I am about to embark on a similar journey, but I want to see if there is a better way to go about the sprite-block thing. The way I have it set up now, is I use a sprite with the solid behavior, so when the player walks into it, it prevents them from walking any further. Like I said, this works well, except the number of invisible sprite-blocks can get very large very quickly.

Is there a better way to create this sprite-block system? I would really like to have the blockers be collected into one object, like the tilemap is, so that I can easily switch out the tilemap and the blockmap at the same time.

I hope I explained that well enough. Please let me know if I didnt.

• Here is an example of my old game, to show what I want to avoid this time. In the picture, all of the transparent red areas are sprites that prevent the player from walking into those areas. The transparent green and purple are other types of 'on overlap' event triggers. The tilemap is under this.

The tile map system is awesome because I can move it all as one large chunk, but the sprites are all broken up into pieces, which makes it tricky to edit/move/change quickly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can use another tilemap with a single tile and set it as solid and invisible. No tile = passable, tile = obstacle.

You can either pre-tile the obstacle tilemap or tile it at runtime based on the other tilemap.

• Wow, I had no idea a tilemap could work as a solid like that. I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)