How do I put text on a 3D layer?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Animated Text
$3.99 USD
With AnimatedText behavior you can make an impression of the text being “typed live”.
  • C3 / Mobile game.

How do I put text on the 3D layer and make it 'sit up straight' - for lack of a better term.

I need the text to update as the scores (variables) update, so it can't be a static image on a box.

I have a 3D box and it's in the game, now I just need to get the text to stick to it - upright.

Thank you

Tagged:

• Create a 2D layer and put it on top of the 3D layer, then put the text on that 2D layer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • colonel Justice,

Thank you for your reply.

I think I'm missing something, how would that get the text on the 3D boxes that are around the screen?

The 3D boxes are around the outside of the layout. The text needs to be on the boxes to show the scores so the player sees the text on the box. When the player looks away from the box, the player will no longer see the text.

If it were an image, I could use it as a face. But this is text and it needs to change as the score variable changes.

• Do you want to display the score in the 3D environment or just have the score displayed on a HUD overlay?

For the latter, use the method I described earlier.

If you want to have text rendered in 3D, well, that's another story.

As you pointed out correctly, you can only use sprites, tiled backgrounds and 9-patches a source textures for 3d shapes.

You could, however, do the following:

1) Use a spritefont object for the scores

2) Add a hidden 2d layer to the project and place the spritefont on it.

3) Add a drawing canvas and sprite object to the same layer. Set the 3d object face to the sprite.

4) Add some events:

Every tick:

-Canvas: Paste spritefont on drawing canvas.

-System: Wait for previous actions to complete.

-Canvas: Save image(PNG quality).

-> On Canvas image saved:

-> Sprite: Set image from URL: Canvas Saved Image URL.

Voila.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)