Making a qix type game.

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • Hi! I've been searching everywhere for a template or tutorial for a qix-type game. Old forum posts leaves only dead links. Does anyone have what I'm after? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• I'll gladly pay anyone who could make me a template of the main mechanics.

• You may ask the person in this topic: construct.net/en/forum/construct-2/how-do-i-18/qix-game-68202

• Here’s the file from that topic:

dropbox.com/s/lmd0vwck1dy9agq/qix_like.capx

I haven’t looked at it in a while.

• Thank you so much! I'll check it out as soon as I get home!

• Tested the capx now. Looks promising! Now I just need to figure out how to make the player move around the edges, and implement a percentage fill counter. Any ideas?

• Try keeping track of the total playing area in a variable, then each time a rectangular region is filled, you calculate that area and add it to another variable.

With those two values you can calculate the percentage of completion with a formula like this one

(value/total value) × 100

In that formula value is the variable where you add the rectangular areas that are completed as the game goes on and total value is the total area you calculate at the beginning of the game.

• So I opened that capx and the only thing I tried to solve in it was a way to slice away chunks of the play area. It was a bit of presumptuous to call it a qix like. I do recall an older capx I made but the forum and a search of my dropbox yielded no results.

The original qix probably did everything pixel based. Things moved a pixel at a time. It knew if the player was on the edge or inside the play area based on the color of the pixel it was on. The filling of areas was done with a pixel flood fill. And finally the filled percentage was done by counting pixels with a certain value.

C3 has the canvas plugin that can be used to set and read pixels so that could be leveraged to do that stuff. The problem is with modern resolutions you deal with more pixels so it may not be as performant.

All my previous attempts tried to do the game in a more modern way such as keeping track of the polygon around the unfilled areas and measuring the distance the player was from the closest edge to those polygons. All which are all slightly involved projects on their own. To top it off some creativity is necessary to utilize constructs available features to achieve that. I typically run out of steam after finding a way to erase chunks of the play area, so most of this is completely unsolved for me.

To make good clone I think the best starting point would be to make a complete list of all the game rules. Like what is happening, what can you do as a player and what happens. Even something complex should be able to be broken down into simpler parts.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, it's a mind bender this one. I contacted the guy who once had a template called "get your klix on route 66" but he don't share the template anymore. He somehow managed to figure it out. You can check his game is on itch.io

Thanks for great replies!

It would be great to get this to work for construct. It's on my wishlist for templates the construct team could add.

• Here's a link to the game I mentioned: gameswarp.itch.io/get-your-klix-on-route-66

• Anyone got the "polished version" from the linked post above? Seems like he got it working. Or if anyone got the "get your klix on route 66" template, and could give some pointers etc. I am desperate to get this working.

• Is there any way to do this game with a tilemap?

• I realize you just want a complete template to use, but I’m sure you could use any number or features to make parts of that game.

Tilemaps let you place tiles that both serve as collisions and as a visual, so I can see that useful to try to use to do the play area. You can loop over the tiles too. So that’s a plus. Performance would need to be seen though. The rest I’m too lazy to think about atm.

• Don't get me Wrong, I like a challenge, I just needed to know if it's even possible. A game that seems so simple has proven to be quite a challenge. I appreciate any help and advice.

• Is there a way to detect tile clusters that have no connection to other tiles?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)