Licensing question

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • I recently purchased a template that I didn’t realize I had to run construct 2 to use. No problem I downloaded construct 2 and got to building and customizing. Now I’ve spent 10+ hours on this, and it won’t let me edit any further without a license. I only have a construct 3 license, does anyone know if my construct 2 license will work? I also tried just importing the project to construct 3 and it gives me an error message and says I need to use construct 2. Again, I don’t mind using 2 if I can get it to recognize my license.

For what it’s worth I feel like Construct shouldn’t be selling templates that don’t work with construct 3 and cannot be converted. It’s frustrating after I already purchased and spent this much time on a project. “Epic Platformer” is the name of the template.

• Go back to the asset store, navigate to the item you've purchased, and open your eyes. The compatibility is stated, and for your specific "Epic Platformer" purchase are even additional details about C3 in the description.

If you still have issues, there's a support section for any purchase within the asset store.

And no, your C3 license won't work for C2, and C2 licenses are no longer available.

• Ya somehow I must’ve missed that when browsing templates. But even after purchasing I got a message that said there was a process to get it to work in C3. I haven’t had any luck with support through the asset store either. I was told by construct to contact the developer, who I can’t seem to get in touch with. Was just curious if anyone had a work around, but you’re passive agrresive non-answer will certainly help, thanks!

And again, if C3 doesn’t work with the template, and c2 licenses aren’t available, then why is construct selling it?

• It won’t run in the older version of C3 as it clearly states it will. It requires 3rd party add-ons that I couldn’t get to work in any version of C3, but they immediately worked no problem once I tried C2.

• I wasn't trying to be passive-aggressive. Instead i was trying to tell you that it's recommended to read what you're buying into. Eitherway, as mentioned, you should be able to find the developer contact information by navigating to your purchase within the asset store.

For a while C3 supported both runtimes, but since the retirement of C2 in July 2021, it now only supports the new C3 runtime.

I recommend reading through this, so you might be able to identify the cause yourself, and rectify it within C2 before running it in C3. https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/the-c3-runtime

At least while you wait for support from the creator.

• Well I tried every bit of advice I could get from other forums, read and read all night and decided it probably just wasn’t worth it for a template designed for C2 and just decided to move on and get a new template and start over. So now I’m trying my hand with the “basic platformer” template, which required me to also get “Spriter pro” but after exhaustive efforts, I cannot find the C3addon file that was supposed to come with Spriter. There’s several YouTube videos made by the developer on how to install Spriter in C3 but when they use the addon manager the c3addon file is right there and I’ve looked through every file that came with Spriter and that file is not on my computer anywhere. I’m starting to think maybe this game building stuff just isn’t for me.

• I recently purchased a template that I didn’t realize I had to run construct 2 to use. No problem I downloaded construct 2 and got to building and customizing. Now I’ve spent 10+ hours on this, and it won’t let me edit any further without a license. I only have a construct 3 license, does anyone know if my construct 2 license will work? I also tried just importing the project to construct 3 and it gives me an error message and says I need to use construct 2. Again, I don’t mind using 2 if I can get it to recognize my license.

For what it’s worth I feel like Construct shouldn’t be selling templates that don’t work with construct 3 and cannot be converted. It’s frustrating after I already purchased and spent this much time on a project. “Epic Platformer” is the name of the template.

I've dealt with the same issue, but fortunately I have a C2 license from years past. I wish there was a policy, to keep items in the Asset Store up to date. Maybe, not up to date with the latest version of Construct 3. But, at least with some version of Construct 3. And, remove the templates from Construct 2.

But, then again, some folks still use C2 as their main development application. So, I don't know what the best answer would be. Maybe, Scirra could make it so a Construct 2 license available, for those who pay for the Construct 3 subscription? As long as they are still subscribed, it would remain active rather than being a license active for a lifetime.

The only thing you can really do, is try to find a Construct 2 license. Not sure where you could get one, as implied earlier, they are no longer sold direct from Scirra. But, then the license would under their name...

I've rebuilt certain templates using the latest version of Construct 3. It's time consuming, and definitely easier to do before building on top of what is already created inside the template's Event Sheet(s). It would be awesome if there was some way to convert C2 project file over to C3, at least a basic conversion and handle the rest by hand.

I've definitely been in the same situation, and had the same issues where there is no compatible Construct 3 Addons for the template I might be working with. I reached out to the developer, and they were unwilling to update to the latest Construct 3(which may have lead to more sales). In that case, I need to find a work around, to create the same functionality within Construct 3. Maybe a similar Addon, or use the built in plugins that will do the same thing, or similar to get everything working as intended. Sometimes it means switching around the game play, and modifying the result a bit.

It's one of those things, where "It is, what it is". I believe the free trial allows 100 Events? It will take some time, but may be worth it to start rebuilding it in Construct 3. Depending on where you are going with it.

• Ya I like it’s irresponsible of Construct to sell templates that aren’t compatible with the only version they sell anymore. And ya the free version allows 100 events, but the template already has hundreds so you can’t add a single event without it asking you for a construct 2 license. Any way I’ve moved on, downloaded “basic platformer” for C3 and immediately after installing ran into a problem finding the c3addon file for Spriter that I bought because it’s required for this template. Been trying to find it and searching forums for an answer for 3 hours to no avail. I’m honestly about to just request a refund and give up on construct. I thought a template was the best way to introduce myself to the program but I’m now 0/2 getting templates to work. After many hours in front of my computer frustrated. Thanks for the response tho, I feel like I’m screaming into the void with these developers. I’ve tried reaching out to both and haven’t gotten a response. (Only been a few hours with the basic platformer developers, so maybe they will come through with a fix.)

• Ya I like it’s irresponsible of Construct to sell templates that aren’t compatible with the only version they sell anymore. And ya the free version allows 100 events, but the template already has hundreds so you can’t add a single event without it asking you for a construct 2 license. Any way I’ve moved on, downloaded “basic platformer” for C3 and immediately after installing ran into a problem finding the c3addon file for Spriter that I bought because it’s required for this template. Been trying to find it and searching forums for an answer for 3 hours to no avail. I’m honestly about to just request a refund and give up on construct. I thought a template was the best way to introduce myself to the program but I’m now 0/2 getting templates to work. After many hours in front of my computer frustrated. Thanks for the response tho, I feel like I’m screaming into the void with these developers. I’ve tried reaching out to both and haven’t gotten a response. (Only been a few hours with the basic platformer developers, so maybe they will come through with a fix.)

Yeah, all you can really do is learn from the mistake. It would be nice if C2 was available to those who subscribe to Construct 3 though. I had bought a license years ago, so I'm covered when this issue arises for me. Someone in your situation is stuck, unless you find a good deal on Fiverr, or somewhere else to outsource it. And, have someone else remake the template into Construct 3.

My only advice, is to begin by watching the tutorials on the Scirra website, YouTube, and other sources. There is a wealth of information online, as with anything these days. This is how I got started, and I'm working on my own platformer tutorial series at the moment. I started with creating a bunch of small games, through watching tutorials. Read through the Construct 3 documentation a couple of times. Walked through a State System tutorial on YouTube, for my platformer. Than, built on top of that, and have expanded it quite a lot at this point.

As with anything, the more time, effort, and studying you put into learning Construct 3 the better you will become. Try not to be too dependent on templates. They can give you a good head start with certain things, but it really comes down to you for the end result. Keep on learning from mistakes and you'll get there. As with anything in life, there will be lots of roadblocks, which will force you to learn even more. I've been pouring time into my Construct 3 projects for several months, every day. And, every day I learn a bunch of new things, which expands my overall database of knowledge. Now, I can create things inside of a week, which would have taken me a month or so when I first started working with C3.

Move at your own pace, and practice patience. You will get to where you would like to be. And, don't worry about buying Spriter. I have both versions of the application, and it's been a solid tool in my toolbox for a while now. And, I still have a ton to learn with that application alone. Never mind everything else in my toolbox haha.

Best of luck to you, while moving forward. I can point you in the direction of a few YouTube Channels that got me going at least.

https://www.youtube.com/c/XanderwoodGameDev - There are some excellent series of tutorials for beginners here. He's a great guy to chat with as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7MaVJy76Gw - The State Machine tutorial I mentioned earlier. He gets into a lot of advanced topics, so the channel is a great resource, once you've settled in a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7wehUTim_FmesOi3l2qMQA - I've gotten a lot of useful knowledge by watching some of the videos in this channel as well.

Anyways. The overall point I'm making, is never give up. Of course, it's your choice to switch up to another application, or not. I've tried dozens of game engines over the years. Personally, I've found C3 to be the fastest for myself. As far as picking up the logic, and how the Events, Plugins, and the application itself works. I still have a long way to go though XD

Some days, I feel dumb. But, this is good. It means I am still learning. And, learning is one of my favorite things to do. I still have times where I will be stuck on some aspect of a project for quite a long time. I put it on my To-Do List, as a "Time Consuming Bug". And, will return to it from time to time between working on other functionalities in the project. Until, at last I've figured out what was going wrong, and have fixed the issue. It's been this way the entire way.

The struggle, the education, the progress seen over time. These are the things that keep me going. But, it is your path to choose :). There are many options for solid game engines, both 2D and 3D. Some really good ones which are free and/or Open Source. Others with a similar subscription model Scirra uses.

Personally, when I got back into Game Development going on a year ago next month. I followed tutorials for multiple applications. Then, prototyped and developed the same game play styles in a few of the engines that had made it that far on my list. After all the experimentation of trial and error, and making the same core gameplay in each one. I figured out that Construct 3 would likely be best for me long term.

Scirra's support has been top notch as well :). I've submitted multiple bug reports over the past several months, some of which were more like feature requests. For example: Not moving the Origin/Image Point when holding down Control & pressing the Directional keys when in the Image Editor, when the first/last frame or animation in the list has been reached while cycling through either. Along with some Image Editor bugs, and issues within the Timeline Editor. And, they've all been cleared up really quickly. Within a couple of weeks, there is a new release which fixes the issue. Most of the time, the very next release the following week has fixed it.

Take Care! Stay positive :) ✌️

EDIT: Grammar, and spelling corrections.

• You need to understand that the asset store consists of individual sellers. 99% of all offered assets are NOT the work of Scirra/Construct but from people like you and I. Scirra gets a 30% cut on all sales within the asset store.

Keep in mind that there are still thousands of Construct 2 users, taking these items off the store would mean that people who stuck with Construct 2 will no longer be able to purchase assets. That's not the idea.

There's a refund policy for assets. So take use of it.

You can reach out to Scirra via supporthjn@construct.net

Spriter Addon can be found here.

• You need to understand that the asset store consists of individual sellers. 99% of all offered assets are NOT the work of Scirra/Construct but from people like you and I. Scirra gets a 30% cut on all sales within the asset store.

Keep in mind that there are still thousands of Construct 2 users, taking these items off the store would mean that people who stuck with Construct 2 will no longer be able to purchase assets. That's not the idea.

You can reach out to Scirra via supporthjn@construct.net

I meant to mention this as well. At the very least, could get a refund on the Asset

• Here's how you can run the version of construct that "epic platformer" says it needs to run.

editor.construct.net/r251-2

From the description of that template it uses a lot of third party plugins. Some of those plugins were ported to c3, but there was change after r251.2 that requires more involved updates to get those plugins working, and the original authors of the plugins aren't working on them anymore.

Some folks avoid third party plugins completely and just stick with plugins included in Construct. I post examples on the forum all the time and even though i primarily use C2 most all of the examples can be opened and work in C3, except for some cases.

Anyways, if you decide to try to keep learning construct I'd recommend first trying the free templates and examples bundled with Construct. They are maintained so you don't have to worry about getting them working. The forum is also a good resource for finding examples of solutions to various things. Personally I haven't used the asset store at all, but quality and support can vary from the looks of it.

You can reach out to Scirra via supportqcs@construct.net

Thank you so much, but i gotta know how you found this! at first i assumed it was a file that was included in the download of spriter (because why wouldnt it be?) but when i realized it wasnt i searched and searched for it. i went to contruct asset store, and searched for it, even after you sent the link and couldnt find it. Seems to be working now, using the link you sent. thanks again! now to rebuild what i had in the other template. oh well, i learned alot from mistakes in the first template, hopefully i can avoid them here.

• Learning by mistakes is usually the best way to learn. As the saying goes, "The only failure, is the one not learned from". Or, something along those lines.

I should have taken a bit of time and checked the actual asset to see it's compatibility to Construct. Anyhow, you've got plenty of resources at your disposal.

As R0J0hound pointed out, there are a ton of Examples included along with Construct 3, and more are added as new versions of Construct are released. You can find many through tutorials online as well.

Reverse engineering various Event Sheets has been a massive learning tool as well. Even if it has some complex formulas(at least for myself at the moment). It will just take some time, along with a search engine online to sort out what is actually happening within the Action Conditions, and Events using math that may be beyond understanding at the moment.

Life is a learning process. Keep on learning, and you will keep on progressing :)

Best of luck, with your planned Platforming game!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • but i gotta know how you found this!

construct.net

Navigate to Construct 3 -> Addons & Extensions -> Use search function

And as R0J0hound stated, you can run older Construct 3 versions. Access them individualy via the release page.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)