How do I make individual Colors on my character have effects that do not affect the rest of the char

1 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Ninja char for your game! Make your own Shinobi game with this art.
  • The title may be misleading, but basically: I have a color on my character. I want to have a visual effect ONLY apply to that color. How can I do this?

(Char for reference)

Tagged:

• I think maybe try using animations instead of effects maybe

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have, for the most part, but some visual effects cannot be simulated by just manipulating pixels in the animator- at least not on the scale i'm working on. I'm thinking this is possible with JavaScript, but I'm unsure how to do that specifically.

• You are likely going to need to split the colored parts of the sprite into their own sprite(s) and pin them to the player object.

You can change the color of the specific colored parts using "Replace Color" but I am not aware of any way you can apply specific effects to specific colors.

• You can color/effect certain portions of the sprites in the following ways:

1. (expert), create an effect shader yourself that either uses a mask to target the effect (could be its own texture), or a use colorLUT based on index and generate the mask from there. Afaik, this method wonʻt be very scaleable, as it combines multiple shaders in one and isnʻt ideal on the programming side.

However, it will result in the easiest editor side work. I donʻt think you can reference other shaders in a shader in construct, that would be ideal if you could. You need to obviously know your way around shaders to go this route.

2. Create your base sprite (as you have) then Create an additional sprite out of the areas you want to specifically effect with the shader and apply the effect to those that object. It should have the same number of frames, etc, as the parent sprite. You can then either pin, or manually move the effect sprite to always match position with the parent. Or you can use object Hierarchies, whichever is easier for your project. You can split up an object like this into many different parts with many different effects.

• I decided to Go with creating an additional sprite and pinning it, I mainly wanted to know so i can have a sort of modular system (instead of having to create duplicates of everything that i want to glow.)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)