I think it time for Scirra to reconsider the whole structure of Construct engine regarding the picking instances mechanism. Construct is a game engine and the most important part in game development is accessing different objects and acting on them. In Construct you have to work 1 hour to create a full layout and 8 more hours trying to figure out what is going on and accessign objects doesnt work.
Of course it is a depricaded issue that is still alive in this engine. Its not a bug... its the way Construct engine works.
In my following example I have some buttons that I want to alter. They are all created on a different function (to keep my code clean). Guess what? I cannot do it...
What is going to happen:
- Of course Scirra team will reply telling me that this might be a bug on my code and I need to file the issue...
- I will have to go there and fill a huge form based on some awkward template.
- I will also need to upload my whole project file because Construct engine doesn't allow you to break your project in different files that you can export. Even if you could export parts of your event sheets... variables are hard-coded and they could not work on a template... So... there is no "uploading part of the project". Of course I cannot upload my project because it is not mine but it belong to the company that I work.
- I will consume 4-5 hours to bypass this issue making my code more complex (breaking down into multiple events, actions, groups, functions)
Dear Scirra... change the way object picking works... It doesn't! The worst part is not that it doesn't work all the time... the worst part is that it will stop working on a big project where there is complex event sheets... and no one will be there to fix it or help you.
Here is the part of my code that doesn't work. And of course if you try to reproduce it just like this it will work. The issue is that it doesnt work on my code.
PS 1. Before trying to convince me that there is something on my code that prevent this lines to work just keep in mind that I have checked my code over 100 times and there is nothing that could effect this. I am sure that the only thing that effects this is something under the hood of Construct engine.
PS 2. I have tried to reset picking, picking all, picking family, changed what I change (not visibility but opacity or even pining to other object), put it outside function, inside other function, put wait 0 seconds and a couple of other things that made my frustration even bigger.
PS 3. This is not the first time I face such an issue. My whole work on this game project goes like this: 1 hour of work + 8 hours trying to figure out whats going on with my object picking and something on my project doesnt work.