How do I grow a sprite?

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • C3/Mobile app.

When a finger is on the player needs to move and the grapple needs to stay down (I got that worked out)

When the finger comes off the player, the arm needs to reach up automatically and move the grapple up until it hits an object, grabs the object and come back down - there will always something to grab. (I only got about half of that worked out.)

How do I get the arm to grow up?

First, I animated the player. 10 images of the player with the arm going up, but that was hard to grab and hold the different items.

Then I tried stacking the arm sprite one by one, but that gets a little crazy with the pinning and unpinning and the grabbing and holding on.

What's the best way to grow the arm? Any good demos for growing things?

Anyone know what it's called? I keep googling and searching, but all I'm getting is how not to stretch an object.

Thanks.

• You can use TiledBackground for this kind of effect.

• blackhornet,

Thank you for your reply - actually that's what's getting me in to trouble (:

I'm trying to learn the whole grid movement / tile background thing - my player is now moving up and down - it's hilarious. The player is only supposed to move right and left.

Want a good belly laugh? Here's where I am: youtu.be/yBLAyXO-ewQ

I can't stop laughing. Where did I go wrong?

drive.google.com/file/d/15K2aOkcPutqi1mmGooQc5Kgx0BdVIAhg/view

• blackhornet,

Thank you for your reply - actually that's what's getting me in to trouble (:

I'm trying to learn the whole grid movement / tile background thing - my player is now moving up and down - it's hilarious. The player is only supposed to move right and left.

Want a good belly laugh? Here's where I am: youtu.be/yBLAyXO-ewQ

I can't stop laughing. Where did I go wrong?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15K2aOkcPutqi1mmGooQc5Kgx0BdVIAhg/view?usp=sharing

That's not what he meant by Tiled Background. He meant you should create the arm using a Tiled Background

• You need to adjust the image points on all the sprite images so they are consistent and it should work how you made it.

I would have the player and the grabber separated. The grabber could be a 9patch object so you can just change the height smoothly to make it expand up.

• Yes, I meant just the accordion part of the arm. I'm working on an example. Give me a bit.

• Needs some refinement, but this should give you the basics.

http://www.blackhornettechnologies.com/Construct3Stuff/Samples/monsters_dazedangels.zip

• dazedangels You can convert .ZIP files to .C3P by renaming them and changing the extension

• 1. OH tile background the arm - that makes so much more sense.

You know, I'm not sure how to do that either, but I'll check it out. I know there is a growing tile background demo around here somewhere.

2. The image point thing is driving me crazy. Is it the image point on the player? Or the image point on the arm sprite?

How do I tell C3 that I want to us image point 1 on the arm sprite and image point 2 on the player?

C3 seems to assume the image point for one of the sprite and allows you to choose the image point for the other sprite, but it doesn't indicate which sprite you get to choose. I'm assuming since I'm saying to pin it to the player sprite that I'm choosing for the player sprite, but I have no idea.

But regardless of which image point I'm choosing - the player should never come off the ground for any reason. I want to freaking nail the players feet to the floor.

Any idea, using the method I have now, what image points I need to pin to so the players feet stay on the ground?

• blackhornet,

Ooops cross posted. Thank you.

• blackhornet,

THANK YOU! That is so awesome!

I have been trying to learn the Move To behavior also. I've taken a lot of Udemy courses, but they all cover about 5 basic behaviors.

I wish there was a Udemy course that incorporated every behavior on some level (or several levels). A complete step by step walk through. Not those already made explaining videos. Those are good, but not as good as the follow along and lets do it together so you see and feel how it works.

Thanks again.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • WackyToaster,

What do you mean by changing the image points and 9 patch? I've never heard of 9 patch before.

I'm still playing around with it and I really want to know how to do it with image points as well as move to. (I need to learn everything)

I messed around with the image point some more, but the thing still goes up in there air.

I changed a bit of it and reuploaded it if you'd like to see what I've done since (messed up since)

drive.google.com/file/d/15K2aOkcPutqi1mmGooQc5Kgx0BdVIAhg/view

Thanks.

• Hi,

I think I made it work the way you want.

dropbox.com/s/28xyd2vbsic9ex8/monsters.c3p

• WackyToaster,

What do you mean by changing the image points and 9 patch? I've never heard of 9 patch before.

I'm still playing around with it and I really want to know how to do it with image points as well as move to. (I need to learn everything)

I messed around with the image point some more, but the thing still goes up in there air.

I changed a bit of it and reuploaded it if you'd like to see what I've done since (messed up since)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15K2aOkcPutqi1mmGooQc5Kgx0BdVIAhg/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

The player sprite goes up because you haven't set the image point to the same point in the middle of the player "body" in all animation frames.

You really should not use that method though. It's clunky and uses a lot of unneeded animation.

I didn't notice blackhornet's example. That tiled background method seems better than my method, thou.

• von Perkele,

Thank you!

I will use blackhornet's method, it is smoother than animating.

I wanted to know why the animated version was so funky before I moved on - one of those 'you learn more from failing' things.

Thank you so much for explaining it and making me a demo so I can see it in action - that helped so much.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)