Delivering levels on demand?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Unlock Levels, Worlds & skin plus add coins by watching ads
  • The Google Play Store has a maximum app size limit of 150MB. I wonder how you ship apps made with C3 which is larger than 150MB? I wonder if there's a way to bypass this limitation by delivering levels on demand. Essentially, I'd like to learn how to ship the game with only some levels included initially, and later allow users to download additional levels from the web when they click the "downloads" button.

I've seen people doing it, but I'm not sure how they accomplish it. I know that one feature in Construct 3 is the ability to load images from URLs, but I'm uncertain about how to use this tool or any other methods to deliver levels later when the app is downloaded.

I know that implementing this feature into a project requires planning from the start. Therefore, I'm interested in learning what considerations and best practices I should keep in mind from the beginning when starting a project that will likely exceed the 150MB limit.

Tagged:

• Hi.

I am an experienced developer under Google Play Store and I will tell you honestly that 150mb for games created on C3 is a lot.

For example on Unity it is very easy to take this space, it is more bulky.

Maybe your game is a visual novel with lots of high graphics and quality songs. In this case you can load each sprite separately from your site and create a system of levels that will be generated from the array. The array can also be uploaded from the site. But it will require so much effort from you that it will be easier to change the engine.

And most importantly players will not play your game if its size will be more than 30-50mb.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • you can load each sprite separately from your site and create a system of levels that will be generated from the array. The array can also be uploaded from the site. But it will require so much effort from you that it will be easier to change the engine.

Thanks for your response. Yes, it does sound really tedious. One potential solution would be to incorporate it into the C3 engine itself. I remember Ashley once said that C3 would integrate PAD (Play Asset Delivery) if Cordova supports it, but I'm not sure if the support for PAD is available on Cordova yet.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)