How do you create custom behaviors?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • I'm trying to teach my daughter, and I want to abstract away some complexity and provide a set of events and actions for her to use without needing to know the details behind them.

How do you make custom behaviors in Construct 3? I've tried scouring the documentation, but I don't see anything other than the SDK. Is that the way, javascript only?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can do everything with events mechanically speaking, but some things won't be as fast as with the sdk, or script.

The existing behaviors are fairly robust, and most everything can be done with them.

It just takes a bit of knowledge and experience. Same as using events, or the sdk, and scripting, but much less memorization.

• I understand, but I'm trying to teach a young child the absolute fundamentals. And I'm trying to teach her by slowly introducing more concepts. She doesn't even understand what a variable is yet (not in computer programming terms anyway).

We're just starting to go over what conditions are. So I'd like to be able to build an "animal" behavior. She can call the actions to "go to food bowl" etc, and behind the scenes, I can set a target destination and control the movement, etc)

How do I create custom behaviors so that they show up in the UI with their own events and actions?

• For a behavior you'll have to use the SDK. Unless you know javascript it's not gonna be easy.

I think the best option would be to create functions. Like your example "go to food bowl" could just be put into a function that then pathfinds to said food bowl. Then your daughter just has to tie conditions and functions together.

• That makes sense!

I was hoping for the behavior, to avoid any confusion over why certain actions were done one way vs the other, but that's pretty minor, and will be far faster to implement.

Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)