What is causing this Shadow Caster "flickering" effect?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: click, coin, damage, fail, jump, level up,message, shot
  • I'm making a 3D top-down shooter, and I've run into a weird visual glitch that comes and goes with my shadow caster objects:

In-game it is much more annoying, as it constantly flickers and creates loads of visual noise.

I have my Shadow Light on its own layer. The effect only occurs sometimes, when the camera is at the "right" position and the "right" angle, but there's no pattern I can see causing it.

This did happen a while back, and then it went away, but something I've changed must have messed it up. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

• looks a bit like z fighting, maybe set the shadow layer z elevation to 0.01 or so

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • looks a bit like z fighting, maybe set the shadow layer z elevation to 0.01 or so

That did help! I didn't realize you could change the Z elevation of layers, thanks for that. The effect is mostly gone at 0.01, but I still get literal edge cases on the shadow edges when it's being cast from an object that is already behind shadow:

I don't think it's z-fighting this time, I pushed the Z elevation to 3 units and still got the same effect.

EDIT: Figured it out, my shadow light was on a separate layer from the shadow casters, once I matched the Z elevations of both layers it started working again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)