Build a Level out of Room Presets? (Roguelike)

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Add calm and a lounge vibe to your games with these 8 tracks
  • Hi all. I've been wondering how you would go about building a level out of multiple chunk/room presets, like a roguelite game like Binding of Isaac?

I'd like to be able to build a preset "room" in a layout, then essentially copy + paste the room into a main level layout at runtime (where it can then be randomized). I thought "global layouts" would be a way of accomplishing this, but I've been having difficulty getting global layouts to work after runtime (they seem to work fine in editor, but not when the game is running).

I've looked at other roguelike solutions, but most of them are for digger type games, or for creating rooms within mazes but not authored room presets.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have a paid template, check it out (click Demo C):

construct.net/en/free-online-games/random-level-generator-25484/play

Please be aware that the dungeon layout is fixed (the number of rooms, their locations and entrances). Only the rooms are randomized.

• I created a binding of Isaac template some time ago: dominosxpizza.itch.io/roguelike-template-construct.

It doesn't allow making custom rooms for now, but if I remember correctly, it should be doable.

• I have a paid template, check it out (click Demo C):

https://www.construct.net/en/free-online-games/random-level-generator-25484/play

Please be aware that the dungeon layout is fixed (the number of rooms, their locations and entrances). Only the rooms are randomized.

I have few ideas. I just want to know if my thoughts align with what you did. Did you stored JSON's of each objects on Layout in Dictionary and recreate in runtime?

• Did you stored JSON's of each objects on Layout in Dictionary and recreate in runtime?

No, it's easier to create room templates on an unused layout. Each room is a hierarchy consisting of multiple objects. One of the objects is a "parent" (say, a tilemap) and is set up as a template.

Then you can create the entire room from that template.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)