Best way to make levels?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Hi yall, I'm currently making a metroidvania game, and i'm wondering about the best way to create 'rooms' for the game to be played in.

I have some ideas at the moment, which are:

1. have entire areas in one layout

benefits: i don't need to constantly switch between layouts, layout management is easier, and I don't have to create a door system to get the player to different layouts

downsides: The entire level is loaded at once (yeouch computer), enemies may not easily reset if you leave a room.

2. Have each room be a separate layout

benefits: each room is self contained and will be easier to focus on one section at a time, enemies will refresh as they are naturally loaded and unloaded

downsides: door system to send the player to the right area, layout management hell

If anyone can help me out either choosing one of these or coming up with a better idea, please let me know.

Tagged:

• The first one just because the second way will drive you crazy

• I'd also go with the first approach. Managing the second option seems like more of a headache. I don't think modern computers will struggle much with big layouts, and resetting enemies doesn't seem like it's that daunting of a task. You can also implement the classic elevators like in super metroid, to still split up the game into maybe 4-5 big layouts instead of hundrets of small layouts. You will have to take care about making sure that enemies/elements that are not in the current room are disabled, otherwise you'll have some random enemy on the other side of the map waste CPU power.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • exactly my concern- i was trying to get the Metroid style rooms working, but even taking them directly from the one in the example browser wasn't working, so at the moment the camera is just a scroll to on the player mask.

Thanks yall for your input :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)