How do I automatically create billboards for a family of objects?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
A collection of various zombie characters sprites for creating a 2D platformer or sidescroller game
  • So, I'm making a 2.5d game and I have all sprites that should have billboards (3d objects with their bottom face being the image of the sprite) in a family, and I was wondering if there was a way, thru events, to set up a system where I only have one billboard object that is automatically created for all objects in the family and set to their sprite animation, but can't seem to find a way to myself. It seems like all instances of a 3d object need to have the same sprite linked to the image of their faces. Could anyone help, please?

Tagged:

• You can use "Family on created" event to create a billboard and attach it to the family instance with hierarchy.

• yeah that's not the problem, the problem is making all of them independently show their sprites correctly

• Are they showing their billboards incorrectly? What do you mean by that?

Also consider posting a screehshot of the event sheet.

• Don't you need to put a sprite in a container with the object, then set the sprites animation or frame to show a different texture?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If there are multiple objects in the family and only one billboard object, then containers won't work.

• Honestly I have no idea how to handle this properly so that's why I posted no example. I'm just telling you issues I encountered before in hope that someone shows me the proper way of doing it all from the beginning.

• Well, assuming you have multiple objects in the family and a single billboard sprite (perhaps with several frames and animations), you can try this:

Family On Created
     Family spawn Billboard
     Billboard set animation ....
     Family add child Billboard

If each family object has its own billboard object, then you can simply add each pair to a container. For example, Zombie+ZombieBillboard, Vampire+VampireBillboard.

Objects from the same container will be created automatically.

• Yeah but you aren't addressing the main issue which is setting the billboard's bottom face to the object it is tied to. That's the thing.

• You didn't mention that was the main issue. You need to post a demo project, it's difficult to understand what the problem is without it.

• I'll make one that demonstrates all the issues, my bad, but I may not be able to do it right now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)