Why my project takes so long to save?

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • I have a pretty medium project

I use project folder format, because most of the game logic is written in TypeScript and compiled into one ~2 mb js file included in the project, so I don't have much script files or events in the project. Total size of the project is literally 10 mb!!!

And the saving can take from 5 second, to full 2 minutes, and also my PC can fully freeze for 10-20 seconds in the process. I just can't imagine what can you do for 2 minutes with the 10 mb project, and especially to make PC freeze as hell. And also it doesn't matter what changes I make. I can make like 30 changes to the scene, and saving will take 10 seconds. And the same time, I can edit one action in event sheet, and the saving will take 1 full minute.

I use latest stable C3 version, and latest stable chrome versions. Chrome extensions doesn't affect that at all, I checked multiple times. Also, i have a pretty big layout. Probably this is the problem?

• Check the number of files in Images and other folders.

Each animation frame is saved as a separate file. And if there are many thousands of them, the project will take a long time to load and save.

• Check the number of files in Images and other folders.

Each animation frame is saved as a separate file. And if there are many thousands of them, the project will take a long time to load and save.

Well, yeah, I have 1200 images in the folder, but they all have a total size of 700 kb. I mean, it's just nothing. It should take a less than a second to process them all, computers are fast enough nowdays. And, anyway, what can I do about that? C3 doesn't allow me to handle sprites in any other way

And yeah, I think saving each animation frame to a separate file is a bad idea, just because of how Windows works, as I know, and again, can't do anything about that.

• 1200 is not a lot, the project should not take more than a several seconds to save. (Unless you have a slow HDD drive in your PC)

If it takes 2 minutes, the problem may be with something else..

I would try a different computer, to see if the issue is hardware or OS related. Also try removing that large JS file from the project, just to test.

• Are you saving to a c3p file or a folder?

I noticed that oddly enough saving to a single c3p file is much faster than saving to a folder.

That was about a couple of years ago, I didn't try using folders again since then though.

• Are you saving to a c3p file or a folder?

I noticed that oddly enough saving to a single c3p file is much faster than saving to a folder.

That was about a couple of years ago, I didn't try using folders again since then though.

Yeah, I'm saving to a folder, because editing scripts outside of C3 won't work otherwise

• I have similar issues around long saving times. It only happens when I'm working with tilemaps. Switching to project folder 'kind of' works, in that not every save is slow after editing a tilemap, though sometimes it will just do a complete slow save for no reason that I can fathom (i.e., I'm not working with tilemaps at all).

I bought an NVMe drive thinking it might be hard drive related, but that had no impact on save times.

I would report this as an issue, but I can't recreate the problem in a standalone project, making me think that this is something that is isolated to larger projects.

Here's a gif of the save time in action. First save is a normal save time, second save shows how long it can take after editing the tilemap.

As you can imagine, this is a pretty big pain in the butt as I'm either having to choose to interrupt my workflow for up to 5 minutes at a time, or go without saving.

imgur.com/a/d1sYnJP

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's definitely an issue with large projects. I sometimes have to work on a game that contains a lot of graphics and videos. The project folder size is about 900 MB. If I make changes to events only, saving usually takes a couple seconds. But after I edit any images, saving the project may take 1-2 minutes.

• Is it every time for you though Dop?

For me, project folder saves can be near instant, except sometimes they'll take upwards of 5 minutes or more.

However, I need to triple check this, but I think the project folder is only doing a slow save after autosaving.

Also by comparison, my project folder is only 160mb.

• Is it every time for you though Dop?

No, you are right, it doesn't happen every time. I don't really know what causes the slow saving, but it seems to happen more often after I make changes to sprites or other graphics.

• I have same issue with project folder. Sometimes it saves instantly, sometimes it takes about 15 seconds, on high end computer saving to an SSD.

15 seconds adds up when you save often. My hand is constantly over CTRL+S, even after small changes, I save.

I changed over to saving as a c3p file, and it seems to always take about 5 seconds to save, which I currently prefer as it is consistent.

I'll get some project stats later such as image count and sizes, and will edit my post.

• After a bit more testing and observation today, I'm almost certain that it's tied to autosave.

As soon as my project autosaves, I can expect a long manual save straight after, no matter what (while using project folders). Meanwhile, disabling autosave results in no longer getting a long save time intermittently.

• I would try a different computer, to see if the issue is hardware or OS related. Also try removing that large JS file from the project, just to test.

• Auto-save feature saves the project as a single c3p file. Maybe Construct needs to rebuild the file structure or something to save as a folder after that. You can test this by manually saving as c3p and then as a folder.

Although I'm not sure if auto-save causes this issue in my case. Because the project size is almost 1GB, I don't want to autosave it. So when the autosave prompt pops up, I always cancel it. Next time I work on that project I'll try to manually save it immediately after that prompt.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)