Why no list of instances to pick from...?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Pick Up Items Sound effects for your game, Take them for a ride right now and you will worry no more.
  • For very good reasons other game engines allow you to select an instance on the layout via a list view.

This is very handy if the thing you're after is invisible. And its usually quicker in general anyway..

(think Hierarchy view in Unity, think "layer Property" window in Game Maker, Godot... blah blah - I think just about every game engine has one)

Anyway.

Don't know about you but I keep expecting the Layers window to be like a hierarchy view, little side arrows next to the layout name, you click on it and it expands a list of all the instances on that layout. Then you can click on it, drag it to another layer, copy it, edit its props... etc.

Am I missing something or does C3 not have a list of instances anywhere? (the debugger has a glorious one!)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • HA!!!!!!

Z Ordering Bar ! .. Where've you been all my live. I love you.***

So, incase anyone doesn't know apart from me -

Use the Z Order list

*** hmmmm I don't love it, its nice, but it does some strange context filter thing depending on what you have selected... and it does'nt list things on hidden layers.

I think it would be less confusing just to have it list every thing on the layout all the time...

• For very good reasons other game engines allow you to select an instance on the layout via a list view.

This is very handy if the thing you're after is invisible. And its usually quicker in general anyway..

(think Hierarchy view in Unity, think "layer Property" window in Game Maker, Godot... blah blah - I think just about every game engine has one)

Anyway.

Don't know about you but I keep expecting the Layers window to be like a hierarchy view, little side arrows next to the layout name, you click on it and it expands a list of all the instances on that layout. Then you can click on it, drag it to another layer, copy it, edit its props... etc.

Am I missing something or does C3 not have a list of instances anywhere? (the debugger has a glorious one!)

That sounds like a good idea. I haven't needed for my game as I am generating instances on the fly

But I can imagine that if you have a large layout with lots of instances of a thing with varying instance variables then this would be very handy.

The list of instances could exist under the object itself in the project view and under the layout in project view with instance properties in the properties view.

I suppose you could manage your instances directly in layout but still.

There is a suggestions forum, chuck it in there, https://construct3.ideas.aha.io

It is good to have input from users of other engines. There are not so many here.

• Actually, the z order list isnt very good at selecting instances its too contextual... basically if you cant SEE the instance you want to select on the layout, then you almost can't get at it!

Which in my humble opinion is UTTER RUBBISH.

Come on!... I've never come across an editor that doesn't present its instances (objects in the scene) in a list... pretty fundamental stuff...

• Demo version doesn't have z list.

Kinda need to figure out the incentives guys.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)