Top game engines on steam

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • not sure why Ren'Py and not Construct made the list!

gamedeveloper.com/business/game-engines-on-steam-the-definitive-breakdown

• Looks like they can’t automatically detect what engine was used in a lot of cases. Look at the issues page of their GitHub page and see that construct and mmf have issues for them.

Edit:

steamdb.info/tech

• Unfortunately I don't think the steamdb.info numbers for Construct are meaningful - their detection may well be failing to identify most Construct games. In this issue I pointed out how they can reliably detect Construct games, but it seems for technical reasons they can't implement that.

• oh that is interesting that they cannot scan the packages/zips... I know Lars used to work at Steam so there must be some sort of data integrity standards of what they can and cannot scan.

• On a slightly related topic - Howcome it's rare to see Construct mentioned on reddit in /r/gamedev?

I always see godot mentioned, gamemaker occasionally, but construct is rarely mentioned. When it is mentioned, its usually someone asking "what engine should I use? Unity, gamemaker, godot, construct?" and noone ever offers an opinion about Construct.

I don't often see clickteam fusion mentioned nor gdevelop either.

I wonder about this, especially considering the recent blog post about performance between gamemaker vs construct 3, which made gamemaker look a lot more antiquated compared to the modern construct 3.

• Construct is still a pretty niche option among the big hitters in the game dev world, unfortunately.

I've wondered before why this could be the case given that Construct has been around for over a decade (I work in marketing, what can I say, I always wonder about why things are or are not popular!).

My theories are:

1. Construct has several limitations that may prevent it from being seen as a real contender or otherwise widely adopted by all and sundry. Eg. 2D only (well I know it has very crude 3D features but you know what I mean), no console publishing, JS-based game code that is open to anyone to look into (I know you can minify/obfuscate it, but still, how many devs want their source code/logic to be just publicly available by default?), etc. The result is that many professional devs will use Construct to prototype but then switch to a 'real engine' to make the game proper (eg. Ori and the Blind Forest was prototyped in Construct before they went on to build the full game in Unity). Why is that?

2. Lack of superstar projects made with Construct. I think this is partly bad luck on Scirra's part, although maybe a little bit partly not. I mean, look at Game Maker for example: Undertale, Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drifter, Spelunky - some of the most famous and lauded indie games of all time. People have made great things with Construct, but few 'household name' titles. How many can you name that the average gamer would be like, "Oh, I love that game"?

Now, it's largely out of Scirra's control what people happen to make with their software, and it's out of their hands what happens to it in the marketplace (they have no way of making anything go super-viral, or whatever). However, as a creator I have found repeatedly that Scirra's support for indie developers when it comes to helping publicise projects made in Construct has often been minimal and the vibe I've gotten from them has been general disinterest. I've reached out to them for help multiple times (literally only small, 5-minute favours) and been given excuses and basically no help at all. Well, maybe my projects suck and they don't deserve limelight (that might be true, I don't know). I would be curious to know if any other published devs have a perspective on Scirra's helpfulness or not re: helping to showcase their work.

I know Scirra have no obligation to help anybody with their marketing and they can do what they like. Fair enough. It's on me to do my own marketing (and I do). But I do wonder why they aren't doing more to push the really cool things people do with Construct, since they have a major lack of "star projects" that really put C3 on the map.

• However, as a creator I have found repeatedly that Scirra's support for indie developers when it comes to helping publicise projects made in Construct has often been minimal

We've tried more concerted efforts in the past at promoting people's games, but the truth is it's extremely time consuming and with minimal benefit to the game author as we just don't have much punching weight here. Engagement from our audience for this sort of content is generally minimal.

We do now have developer diaries which is far more engaging and go down really well for both parties - it engages our audience far more appropriately.

Bear in mind we do get lots of requests for 5 minute favours to post here and there on our social media channels, and it can be awkward sometimes to say no. Often, a 5 minute favour might actually be more substantial than you think.

I think developer diaries is the primary way forwards, as this shows the best results for our audience.

• I've wondered before why this could be the case given that Construct has been around for over a decade

I'd point out that a decade ago, it was literally just me coding on a laptop in my bedroom. We've come a long, long way, and I'm optimistic that as we keep growing, we'll keep going even further.

• Tom

We've tried more concerted efforts in the past at promoting people's games, but the truth is it's extremely time consuming and with minimal benefit to the game author as we just don't have much punching weight here. Engagement from our audience for this sort of content is generally minimal.

while I totally understand this, and it is good self-awareness to know that your engagement is minimal. However, I still get sad that I never get a "like" or "retweet" on any of my #construct3 or #c3 posts... even if I tag directly 'zpu@' ConstructTeam I never seem to get any acknowledgment! My game isn't that ugly is it!? ;-)

store.steampowered.com/app/1383520/Alpha_One

(shameless plug)

• Ashley you HAVE to do a "then and now" pic...

of course I'm picturing the "then" you, unkempt and working on a laptop on an unmade bed...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • We've tried more concerted efforts in the past at promoting people's games, but the truth is it's extremely time consuming and with minimal benefit to the game author as we just don't have much punching weight here. Engagement from our audience for this sort of content is generally minimal.

That's a fair point, and I do appreciate that a lot of the time the things that people think will help their marketing don't do anything (retweets =/= sales, and all that). I understand where you're coming from.

I'd only add the following two thoughts:

1. "Punching weight" is relative. To a nobody dev with 12 Twitter follows, a signal boost from you guys could be a big encouragement and vote of confidence. It's not the same as getting written up in IGN or whatever, I agree, but it doesn't hurt to encourage creators who may be just starting out on their journey.

2. Iirc the main thing I've approached your team about in the past is adding my games to your website, as part of the "look at the cool things you can do with Construct" type galleries. My games have pretty unique art styles (and universally positive Steam reviews, cough cough just saying), so I thought it might be nice for you to showcase the diversity of Construct products on your site (while also providing a nice bit of encouragement for me, if not actual marketing "results"). I understand that retweeting and social-boosting every random Joe who bombards you with requests doesn't really do you any favours, but I must admit to being a little disappointed to be given a (polite) "go away we're not really interested" when trying to contribute something that might actually benefit you in a small way. Fair enough if you don't want new examples for your site, I guess.

Anyway, I got over it 😛 But it seems to me that a big part of making Construct a bigger part of the game dev consciousness is having a broad stable of awesome, creative, unique games to showcase. Surely?

With absolutely no disrespect intended to Aurelien Regard (I think his game looks amazing, actually) - your website's front page is covered in shots of The Next Penelope. That came out in 2015, haven't we got anything newer to show as the poster child of Construct?? He even made it with the previous generation of the software (C2). I would submit to you that your community of users have been extremely busy producing weird and wacky things over the past six years - why not feature somebody new?

They say that games sell consoles, and I think the same must be true of game creation software. People want to know: what can I make with this? What have people been able to do with Construct? The proof is always in the pudding, and all that.

Anyway, I'll stop waffling. I really do love Construct and I wish more people used it. I just can't help wondering why they don't.

• jobel no your game isn't ugly, and looks good to me! I'm about to go on holiday, but new processes for asking for game promotion are in the works - this will be in a blog post soon I think. Use the tags #madeinconstruct and #construct3 and it's easier for us to RT (I'll do you a RT if you do this soon)

mikehive RE showcase, I know it seems like an easy thing to add to the showcase, but it does take a couple of hours and a bunch of back and forth emails. It's a tricky position because I can tell you to send me in some images and a video to see if I can add it, but then I know I'm going to have to deal with a dozen more emails saying I saw you added this game because they asked, can't you quickly add mine as well? People get really passionate and dejected when we reject this sort of stuff.

The aim of the showcase is to prove Construct 3 is used in industry, is a useful tool to raise/make money, and to show successful games. I think it does a pretty good job of doing this for the time being. In all honesty, I don't think it needs any other content right now but this might of course change in the future.

• 1. "Punching weight" is relative. To a nobody dev with 12 Twitter follows, a signal boost from you guys could be a big encouragement and vote of confidence. It's not the same as getting written up in IGN or whatever, I agree, but it doesn't hurt to encourage creators who may be just starting out on their journey.

This is a good point, but we do RT people's games pretty regularly. We spot this stuff when people use the #construct3 or #madewithconstruct hashtag. Bear in mind, we're all about Construct 3 now from a business point of view so asking us to RT/promote C2 content is something we're less keen to do.

• The aim of the showcase is to prove Construct 3 is used in industry, is a useful tool to raise/make money, and to show successful games. I think it does a pretty good job of doing this for the time being. In all honesty, I don't think it needs any other content right now but this might of course change in the future.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Like I said, I understand. And I realise that a lot of games that look pretty good by themselves may not necessarily add anything worthwhile to a showcase (eg. you may find you have all the platformer examples you need, no matter how shiny...). I understand that game devs shouldn't take it personally if you don't feel inclined to add stuff to your showcase.

I guess more broadly I'm just generally curious about Scirra's plans in the long term. Construct could totally be the next Game Maker in terms of public recognition - imo it's a fantastic piece of software, and I'd love to see it get there. But it'd need a bit of a kick with marketing and brand awareness and whatnot because, as this thread and the linked article have highlighted, a lot of game devs still aren't aware of it. (Certainly from my experience of chatting with other game developers, when they ask me what I use, I always end up explaining what Construct is as they aren't familiar with it).

It seems like marketing in general isn't something you guys are strongly focused on right now - at least in terms of new strategies and such. Is that fair to say?

Sorry... just being a nosy marketing guy 😛 You can tell me to go away or just ignore me if I'm being a nuisance.

• mikehive put your info in your profile so I can check out your Steam games!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)