Top game engines on steam

From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • mikehive put your info in your profile so I can check out your Steam games!

Ah, thanks for asking - I've added my website to my profile, both of my games are linked from there ๐Ÿ™‚

• I guess more broadly I'm just generally curious about Scirra's plans in the long term. Construct could totally be the next Game Maker in terms of public recognition - imo it's a fantastic piece of software, and I'd love to see it get there. But it'd need a bit of a kick with marketing and brand awareness and whatnot because, as this thread and the linked article have highlighted, a lot of game devs still aren't aware of it. (Certainly from my experience of chatting with other game developers, when they ask me what I use, I always end up explaining what Construct is as they aren't familiar with it).

It seems like marketing in general isn't something you guys are strongly focused on right now - at least in terms of new strategies and such. Is that fair to say?

Sorry... just being a nosy marketing guy ๐Ÿ˜› You can tell me to go away or just ignore me if I'm being a nuisance.

Thanks for understanding :) We are working on a revamp of some of our more front facing pages coming soon which I think should help a lot.

Marketing is a pretty broad spectrum and our product spans such a wide range of use cases it's impossible for us to address them all. We're doing a lot in education right now which will be pretty invisible for the B2C market but we're making great progress there.

For B2C B2B markets we're not doing a whole lot of active marketing, we find it quite tricky. We experiment from time to time but nothing has really stuck. Regardless, we're growing slowly and steadily in both product usage and revenue so we're in a good place and are happy with how things are going.

Some number we're pretty proud of to illustrate:

• ~920k users tried C3 in 2020
    • Avg 3.8 sessions per user
    • 25 min avg session time
    • 200k new projects created in C3 monthly
    • 60k games exported monthly

We're pretty excited with this progress, likely only a matter of time before you bring Construct 3 up and someone knows exactly what you're talking about :)

• My game trailer was featured on a Twitch stream (to which I saw a replay of) and the host paused at the last frame where I had logos: steam, my studio and construct. They spent a very long time trying to figure out what the construct logo was... no one in chat apparently had ever seen it. And to my surprise no one ever figured it out!

• I'd also point out I suspect GameMaker has something like at least 5x more staff working on it, and the backing of a billion-dollar company. I'm sure we could do an awful lot more if we had the same level of resources - but even though we're a small operation by comparison, I think is a big achievement on our part that people even feel it is fair to compare the two, and that there are even some big advantages to Construct that we can highlight.

3.8 sessions - does this mean a user has multiple projects open?

60k exports a month is...wow!

• It means 920k users used Construct 3, and each one of them on average used Construct 3 3.8 times in a month (3,496,000 sessions of Construct 3).

• not totally unrelated but I wonder how the new Steam Deck may impact more Construct games getting on to Steam since it almost feels like a mobile platform crossover (with it's touch screen).

btw sign up here to get a dev kit if interested: store.steampowered.com/news/group/4145017/view/2984186184800023529

• I think a lot of us will open another tab to do some quick testing. Its one great feature of using the browser, then opening a new project in an existing session is pretty convoluted.

• Marketing is a pretty broad spectrum and our product spans such a wide range of use cases it's impossible for us to address them all. We're doing a lot in education right now which will be pretty invisible for the B2C market but we're making great progress there.

For B2C B2B markets we're not doing a whole lot of active marketing, we find it quite tricky. We experiment from time to time but nothing has really stuck. Regardless, we're growing slowly and steadily in both product usage and revenue so we're in a good place and are happy with how things are going.

Oh, yes - I have heard a lot of teachers and schools using Construct, that's true. I'm pleased to hear you guys are doing really well with that :D

As far as B2C goes, yeah, that is a tricky one...

I would think this sort of thing would be mostly a pull rather than push type of marketing project. If people have already decided they want to learn Unity or something then they'll go and do that. Perhaps it's the people who aren't sure which platform they want to use could be good targets.

For example, I was looking at SEO. Right now, results for queries like "easy game creation software" are horrible (top result is a blog that says you should learn Unreal or Unity, or something?? Not helpful at all).

Maybe there could be some opportunities to put Construct more strongly in front of people who are actively searching for non-scary game development platforms to try out. Whether search optimisation, social campaigns, paid ads or whatever - I guess you'd need to think about it. ๐Ÿค”

Some number we're pretty proud of to illustrate:

Those are impressive numbers indeed! 920k users??? As in nearly a million? That's incredible. Makes it all the more mysterious that C3 isn't more of a household name.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Lol 6+ years ago I joined a college (in Epsom, UK) for game design, and it had Construct 2 as its main software to use. It was great, I was already an avid user of c2 and had projects to show off already ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Then I dropped out of college opps

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)