State of the Google Play Plugin

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • I have spent several hours....days trying to get the google play plugin to work for mobile android without success. When I run my game, there isn't even an attempt to sign-in. I followed these instructions:

"To get around this I've rewritten this plugin to use the native API instead when running in a webview. This should fix the problem, but when creating your app with Google you need to set up your app as a native one not a web one. I will need to update the tutorial for this as there's a number of frustrating pitfalls ( surprise surprise ).

On the plus side some new actions for using native leaderboard and achievement dialogs now exist! They only work in the Android build though.

The fix actually snuck out in the r87 release without a changelog, so it can be tried now.

Pitfalls

Create your game through the Google Play Console NOT the Google API Console.

Builds MUST be signed with a key or you will not be able to log in ( can be release or debug builds ).

Specify your app ID as the new "Game ID" property in C3, this is a 12 digit number and can be found in the Google Play Console > Game Services section. If you don't do this, your build will fail.

You need to specify the SHA1 signature of your signing key in the Google Play Console when setting up your game, this needs to be the same key that you will use to sign your game for release. If you don't do this, you will not be able to log in.

Adding new leaderboards and achievements to your game during testing can cause some synchronization issues. Google Play Games Services ( the app that runs on your device ) uses some pretty heavy caching and it can take a long time for new things to appear.

Make sure you list the Google account that you use on your testing device on the Apps testing user list, otherwise you will not be able to log in.

If you miss something on this list, your unlikely to get anything other than a failed log in. I'd like to show more, but google doesn't give you anything to go on really.

Common errors I saw when one of the above wasn't done correctly:

8 - INTERNAL_ERROR An internal error occurred. Retrying should resolve the problem. ( Retrying doesn't really help )

12501 - SIGN_IN_CANCELLED The sign in was cancelled by the user ( This one seems to happen without the sign in screen actually being shown to the user, so the description is also useless )

FATAL_DEVELOPER_ERROR ( Google Play Games Services was crashed by this, and nothing useful was sent to the game )"

Am I doing something wrong or is the mobile service for the google play plugin still faulty?

• bump

• Any updates on the matter?

Does anyone else export to mobile, do you know of a way to use google game services, do you use another service altogether?

• Have you exported your game and installed it as an app on the phone? The plugin is native (at last!) so it wont work in preview.

Also have you set up your game as an android app in the google dev console?

• Yes on both accounts.

• Any update on proper documentation now that it's been rewritten for native?

As it stands now Android development feels severely limited in terms of publishing the app to the play store without a working Google Play Games Service. Ashley

• bump

• I just tried implementing the Google Play services plugin in a game todayand can't seem to get it working.

I have these events on the starts screen:

+ GooglePlay: On loaded

----+ GooglePlay: Is loaded

-----> GooglePlay: Sign in

When it loads, the screen dims and the menu bar and the navigation buttons show (like when you swipe down from the top during full screen). It looks like something is going to happen, and then they disappear and the game plays like normal. no error or anything.

Is this an issue with how I am programming events? Or is there an issue with the plugin?

• It's not an issue with the order of events. The sign-in basically fails. As a test I placed an -> on auto-sign in failed-sign-in event on the title page of my game and it is a continuously repeating instance of how you describe it: a dimming of the screen and the notification bar coming visible but nothing happening. Thus, it has to do with the setup of the google play plugin not the order of events.

• It's not an issue with the order of events. The sign-in basically fails. As a test I placed an -> on auto-sign in failed-sign-in event on the title page of my game and it is a continuously repeating instance of how you describe it: a dimming of the screen and the notification bar coming visible but nothing happening. Thus, it has to do with the setup of the google play plugin not the order of events.

Well, I got the auto-sign in to work! It loads the sign in screen with my avatar and confirms sign in like other games.

I left my order of events as they are in my previous post above. I have App ID and Game ID and Client ID entered, so not sure if that makes a difference having all 3 entered. And I also signed the APK with both V1 and V2 this time, so not sure if that made the difference.

I now have two remaining issues...

1- Loading the player's best high score and saving as global variable to set in text field. It's always stuck at 0.

2- And Display Leaderboards. When you click the icon to show leaderboard, a screen loads but the load circle just goes around and around.

Still testing. So I'll report back if I get these to work.

• Awesome, keep me posted!

• No idea what's going on... Seems like it signs in on start screen, then on the gameplay the level, nothing i have programmed works. It wont submit score, show leaderboard, load score, etc...

• I've managed to get a working achievements and leaderboard but the actual values aren't correct, perhaps due to a lack of "trigger once while true" conditions.

Essentially I set it up as If (is boolean set)-> unlock achievement/submit score

Then I go into my game services and locate the corresponding ID for the intended achievement/score and insert that into the action.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I've managed to get a working achievements and leaderboard but the actual values aren't correct, perhaps due to a lack of "trigger once while true" conditions.

Essentially I set it up as If (is boolean set)-> unlock achievement/submit score

Then I go into my game services and locate the corresponding ID for the intended achievement/score and insert that into the action.

Wow, great job! I couldn't get any scores to submit or leaderboards to show yesterday. And one Google Play event/trigger is crashing my game.

Would you mind taking a screen capture of your events to submit score and display leaderboard? Or copy and paste as text? That would be helpful. Or PM me.

• Wow, great job! I couldn't get any scores to submit or leaderboards to show yesterday. And one Google Play event/trigger is crashing my game.

Would you mind taking a screen capture of your events to submit score and display leaderboard? Or copy and paste as text? That would be helpful. Or PM me.

Still need help?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)