Speechrecognition broken on Android in chrome and cordova export. SpeechSynthesis broken in Cordova

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Hey Folks,

over the last few days i was developing an app which utilizes speech recognition. Everything was good, as i tested in chrome on windows. However now i exportet the project for the first time and tryed remote preview only to realize that speech recognition is TOTALLY BROKEN on Android and that for 7 years it seems. I got the same effect as mentioned in this thread:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/speech-recognition-c3-example-159983

It neither works in the preview nor in the debug APK... Fore the app i am doing this is essential and i am somewhat devestated that this is such an old bug.

Worst part is it seems the issue was closed without a fix: bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail

Has anyone any idea what to do now? This could have been my FIRST PAYED PROJECT finally after all those years learning construct and i am rly devistated right now...

So i am thankfull for every tip you guys have for me.

Update: A little bit of hope: When i switch from continuous to single phrase it seems to work... Which indicates there is something wrong with only one mode.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Update:

I have 2 test devices, Samsung Galaxy A52S & Lenovo Tap 11

Local Preview

• Speechsynthesis: Working
    • Speechrecognition Single Phrase: Working
    • Speechrecognition Continuous: Working

Samsung Galaxy Cordova (Android)

• Speechsynthesis: BROKEN
    • Speechrecognition Continuous: BROKEN

Lenovo Tap 11 Cordova (Android)

• Speechsynthesis: BROKEN
    • Speechrecognition Single Phrase: BROKEN (Even if it says its supported)
    • Speechrecognition Continuous: BROKEN

Samsung Galaxy Remote Preview (Chrome)

• Speechrecognition Continuous: Broken

Lenovo Tap 11 Remote Preview (Chrome)

• Speechrecognition Continuous: Broken

Is there anything i can potentially do about it? am i doing something wrong? (I tested this with the default Constrcut 3 demos also)

Ashley are those issues known? Shouldn't the plugins be marked as experimental or Web only if they work this unrelyably on pretty well knows devices? Maybe there is some flags i have to set somehow?

It seems like there are not many alternatives out there exept for MAYBE Capacitor which i havent tested yet, but idk if it is any different from cordova. Or maybe there is a way to wrap the app in a google chrome stand alone version or something which is installed on the device so it just looks like an app but in reality is loaded from a website? Anyone knows if this is possible? The important part is that i can get it into the app store.

Thanks

j0schi

• There's a known issue that speech synthesis is not currently supported in Android apps, as it's not supported in the Android WebView yet.

I'm afraid as both speech recognition and synthesis are both provided entirely by Google, these kinds of issues are out of our hands. You could star the issue for speech synthesis support or file a new issue with them if there is something else wrong.

• Alright, thanks... I will ping the google devs but after 7 years it seems to be hopeless that this will be fixed any time soon...

So i think it makes most sense to cut my losses and cancel this project if i cant find an alternative wrapper. Without at least voice recognition the whole purpose of the project isnt really there anymore.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)