Simulation Game Tutorial

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Carousel Animation, make carousel of you image gallery or anything
  • Really enjoying learning Construct 3, but most of the demos/tutorials I see are for games I am not interested in designing, like side scrollers and other games focused on physics.

I get that the principles of game design in these can still apply, but it would be super helpful to find some tutorials that would walk someone through the design of, for example, an educational game such as the classic Oregon Trail (I know there's one sample game of OT here but I'm hoping to see the event sheet, for example).

Eventually, I would like to build a sports simulation game of some sort, mostly in the style of a text simulation but not one that's just text on a screen. I might even "just" start out with something like a Sports Agent Simulator game as it would help me get an understanding of:

Generating conversations and responses based on random pulls from dictionaries or something like that.

Tracking of data based on decisions, such as discussions around money, an agents patience wearing thin, etc.

General text-sim principles of a bunch of numbers and randomness driving the story versus the arrows on my keyboard moving a sprite around.

Learning how to save a game such as this (I'm a novice to game design, sorry!)

Potentially implementing multiplayer in some way (especially if I move into a bigger game someday).

For reference, I'm referring to wanting to build a (much smaller and simpler to start) version of something like Out of the Park Baseball, or Front Office Football.

Thanks for helping me find potential resources for this! The community has been nothing but helpful so far.

• Good evening, mikeadamski26!

I haven't played these games and probably wouldn't know much about the style of game that you'd be looking to create, but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

I believe you will have to understand the base knowledge of the data files such as JSON, arrays, and stuff.

Assuming that you've taken a look at the built-in game examples, you'll eventually find some other material on the site's tutorials

If you're willing to spend some money, the Data+ plugin from OverBoy would be an easy help.

And to make my 2 cents at least 3 cents, you may find some decent graphic assets at the Kenney site, they're free.

With luck, you can also pick some themed royalty-free pictures from sites such as Pixabay or Pexels.

I know it is not much but I hope it helped. Stay safe;

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I found it! I will take a look through this all. I wish I could find a tutorial that is more geared towards something like I'm trying to make. It's difficult to find!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)