Severe issues with ios 15

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
A pack contains high quality game backgrounds for 2D video games. With 15 distinct themes
  • Literally stripped one of my games to barebones, audio, fonts, events and the thing just won't play level 1. Really not impressed with trying to export to iOS, android, nice and simple, everything works as it should. iOS however oh my!

All crashes seem to be down to font and/or audio, yet without using any fonts or audio, the crashes still occur.

Use latest c3, export to high ios version, use smallest spritesheet setting, use latest xcode. See if that makes any difference.

Otherwise try turning off 'Canvas rendering' in Safari options and see if that makes any difference, just for verification.

• Tried 12/13/14, xcode running latest version, multiple setting changes in C3.

Had a couple of xcode developers look at it but because it's Cordova, they have no idea. Another chaps looking at it now and said "the code is breaking it" so not sure what's going on, if some events or files are corrupting on export.

Just tried the canvas rendering method and still the same, crashing in the same spot each time (I've also removed this spot, an event based cutscene)and it's just crashing when the layout starts instead of letting the cutscene play/fade sprite fade in.

Weirdly, I made a button that goes to a random level and that worked.. made a button that goes to another cutscene level and that crashed

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Can confirm that on iOS (specifically iPhone more than iPad) my ad does not make the game pause in the background. Also that my Sprite Fonts aren't always rendering. Also that my 9-patches aren't always rendering. Sometimes they do, but it's inconsistent.

And then sometimes the audio cuts out for the rest of the session.

I've just recently had Apple tell me that by latest build is bugging out during the C3 loading screen on iPad OS 15.2, so I updated my iPad and didn't see anything. Sent them a video but might send them this thread so they can see that the construct team believes that Apple broke iOS, so Apple can realize it and fix it. That is, if Apple cares about C3 developers. What say we? I doubt it, from my limited experience with them.

• Same problem here on iOS 15

But in our case is not at Cordoba export, is a Web HTML export for the website, uploaded and tested on iPhones Safari Browser or installed in PWA.

We have problems with objects Disappearing becoming invisible but they are still there in their positions as you can touch them and all the events related to that object will run

I can confirm that is definitely iOS 15 because I test the same web project into two iPhones:

iPhone8 Plus: That has iOS 14.8.1

And the game runs smoothly without any issues

XS Max: That has iOS 15.1

Here the game run with issues like objects disappearing becoming invisible but they still are in their (X,Y) positions as you can touch them and interact with them, you can see the events firing up when touched.

This is a big issue as some of the objects disappearing are the Play button, Continue Button, HUD, etc.... so you don't know where to press to start playing or also backgrounds disappearing making the app show the layer black colour instead of the BG. The Game is unplayable on this state on iPhones running iOS 15

I created a Zip file demo reproducing the BUGS here:

Zip file

Some Videos showing the problem:

This is how it should look the "Menu" layout

This is how it should look the "Game" layout

Video1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0pumpt08da1zez/iOS%20BUG1.MP4?dl=0

You can see at min 00:15 the BG disappearing

Video2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1t7ca6bem1ilqkn/iOS%20BUG2.MP4?dl=0

You can see at min 00:07 the BG disappearing

Video3:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5t5t1zupg77ip2/iOS%20BUG3.MP4?dl=0

You can see at min 00:15 the BG disappearing

Video4:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5lgm13xjzt5lz7/iOS%20BUG4.MP4?dl=0

You can see at min 00:07 the BG disappearing

===========================================

To reproduce it you just need to go back & Forwards between the two layouts until you see something disappearing

• I just want to emphasise my previous post that points out if something worked on iOS 14 but broke in iOS 15, it's likely Apple that broke it, and so such problems are probably best reported directly to them. If it's iOS or Safari that is broken, there's usually little we can do about it ourselves; only Apple can fix problems in iOS or Safari.

• tarek2 Try switching on/off these two settings for safari on your device, verify if it makes any difference for you:

• GPU Process: Canvas Rendering
    • GPU Process: WebGL
  • tarek2 Try switching on/off these two settings for safari on your device, verify if it makes any difference for you:

• GPU Process: Canvas Rendering
    • GPU Process: WebGL

The iPhone with iOS 15 had the Canvas Rendering ON by default so switching it OFF and turning ON the WebGL seems to stop the Problem with the objects becoming invisible, however, for a run of 20 minutes it crashes 3 times with white screen and two of them there was no refresh button or any other button to carry on so I had to uninstall the PWA and install it again.

In another of the tests for just 2 minutes

It crashed and restarted 5 times and in the last crash I had to reinstall the App again as there wasn't a refresh button or any other button

It looks like it solves the object invisibility problem but still crashes at random

I also tried turning off both (Canvas Rendering & WebGL) but is the same issue, it solves the object invisibility problem but still crashes at random

I googled the issues and it seems that many people reported already the bug to Apple as most HTML games are affected though it has been around 3 months now since iOS 15 and they didn't make any progress, too bad.

• > tarek2

I googled the issues and it seems that many people reported already the bug to Apple as most HTML games are affected though it has been around 3 months now since iOS 15 and they didn't make any progress, too bad.

Would you be able to share links to those other cases of developers encountering the problem?

It seems games are still loading fine in Safari itself. Suggesting that the problem is even in WKWebView or in the way that Cordova delivers the local files to WKWebView.

Either way, I do agree with Ashley that this problem is the result of a change by Apple but I want to share a few thoughts:

• Yes, we all could file bugs/reports to Apple ourselves. But has Scirra/Construct filed or notified Apple of this problem as an engine developer? Does Scirra have a contact at Apple or relationship they can follow up on?
    • Even though Apple is an insanely large and profitable company, that doesn't always mean every team is well resourced. They may be aware of this issue but haven't had time to truly investigate it. If we are able to find more clues to the cause of the issue and provide that context to Apple, it might speed up the solving of the bug.
    • Ignoring the issue and hoping Apple will fix it soon isn't really a strategy for success. If what

Ashley says is true, that Apple change things regularly and this type of situation is common (e.g. once every 2 years, with the issues persisting for months) then that suggests it's worth spending time thinking of a new strategy to handle this scenario. By that I mean, having better processes for alerting, communicating and resolving the problem with Apple.

• > > tarek2

> I googled the issues and it seems that many people reported already the bug to Apple as most HTML games are affected though it has been around 3 months now since iOS 15 and they didn't make any progress, too bad.

Would you be able to share links to those other cases of developers encountering the problem?

It seems games are still loading fine in Safari itself. Suggesting that the problem is even in WKWebView or in the way that Cordova delivers the local files to WKWebView.

Either way, I do agree with Ashley that this problem is the result of a change by Apple but I want to share a few thoughts:

• Yes, we all could file bugs/reports to Apple ourselves. But has Scirra/Construct filed or notified Apple of this problem as an engine developer? Does Scirra have a contact at Apple or relationship they can follow up on?
    • Even though Apple is an insanely large and profitable company, that doesn't always mean every team is well resourced. They may be aware of this issue but haven't had time to truly investigate it. If we are able to find more clues to the cause of the issue and provide that context to Apple, it might speed up the solving of the bug.
    • Ignoring the issue and hoping Apple will fix it soon isn't really a strategy for success. If what

Ashley says is true, that Apple change things regularly and this type of situation is common (e.g. once every 2 years, with the issues persisting for months) then that suggests it's worth spending time thinking of a new strategy to handle this scenario. By that I mean, having better processes for alerting, communicating and resolving the problem with Apple.

If Scirra officially declares on the Construct homepage that you can publish games on iOS and other platforms, then they should be sure that it works correctly and without failures.

Otherwise it sounds like "Yes, you can export the game to iOS from our engine, but we do not guarantee that it will work. This is your problem, deal with it yourself."

• tapestry

Looking at my Chrom history this is the last ones I visited:

A lot of them seems to believe is the Canvas issue but For me, I think it's Canvas + some Memory issue because I turned it off and still crashes, though it fixes the problem with invisible objects.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/689071

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/684843?answerId=684348022#684348022

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/690924

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/690924

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=231157#c1

========================================

I do agree with "tapestry" and I always said the same thing, on important Bugs like this that are serious will be better to be reported by Scirra for two reasons:

1-Your company will look way much better, that cares for all the issues that affect your engine even if the bug wasn't your fault. At the end of the day, you will have customers worrying and complaining in the forum anyway which can give a bad image to your product.

2- Even if "we" the customers open a bug report we will end up on technical questions from the bug developers that we cannot answer and therefore we need to ask Ashley for answers anyway, going back and forwards between them till is resolved.

A good example of this is:

I have been trying to resolve a bug for 4 months that AJAX fails to load one big JSON file in my Game and I recently opened a bug with Chrome because no one could tell me the source of the problem.

So when I opened the bug, chrome developers told me that there is a bug that AJAX is calling twice, then I had to open another bug at C3 GitHub and ask Ashley to check if Ajax is calling twice etc.... which he checked it and said is not. So the point here is that there are questions we cannot answer anyway as these are questions that only Ashley and his team can answer therefore is more suited for the Game engine developers to report them as they can sort it out much much quicker because they can replay any question that they may have, this way you will save the customers going back and forwards, therefore, wasting more time than it should and also most of the time the Bug developers will ask questions that we normal customers we cannot answer so we have to sit down and watch if gets resolved as it's limited the help we can give them. C3 Team will be far more helpful to them.

One really good point I have to mention in favour of Ashley:

Is that I give him the link to the Chrome AJAX bug report and he is replying and following up with comments in the Chrome bug report by himself to help the Chrome devs, which I appreciate that he takes the time from his busy life to try to resolve this bug which looks like is not from C3 anyway.

So if you open a bug report with the other companies and link back then Ashley does get involved for what I saw.

• But has Scirra/Construct filed or notified Apple of this problem as an engine developer?

So far I don't believe I've been able to reproduce the problem myself. We cannot file a bug report if we can't reproduce the problem - if it looks like everything works, how can we tell Apple it's broken? Getting us to reproduce the problem is just an unnecessary extra step anyway, as all we'd do is forward the issue on to Apple. So it will be quicker to cut us out and report the problem directly.

Does Scirra have a contact at Apple or relationship they can follow up on?

Absolutely not. Apple are notoriously secretive to the point of absurdity, e.g. they mark bugs as fixed but can't tell us when the fix will ship, only saying "Apple does not comment on future releases" as a standard response. If Apple made anyone available to us, we'd definitely talk to them about such issues, but they do not make any such person available nor do they appear to have a culture that would be open to such an idea.

So in short, you're probably best off reporting iOS regressions directly to Apple. No software is perfect, all platforms have bugs and occasional regressions - this really is business as usual in the software world. And if people keep trying to pressure us to do something about it when it's impossible for us to do anything about it, it will only make it take longer to solve the problem. This has happened before in other ways and to be honest it's pretty frustrating for us; I know you all just want it to be fixed but it is genuinely out of our hands and we have few options - Apple need to fix it and if you keep telling us to do something about it then you'll get nowhere, because so far there's nothing we can do.

• So far I don't believe I've been able to reproduce the problem myself.

Ok, that's more understandable then. I assume you've attempted to recreate though?

If someone prepares a sample which triggers the problem, you would take a look?

Getting us to reproduce the problem is just an unnecessary extra step anyway ...

I respectfully disagree with this. I think tarek2 highlighted well several reasons why you should be establishing a relationship with Apple and representing the Construct community.

> Does Scirra have a contact at Apple or relationship they can follow up on?

Absolutely not. Apple are notoriously secretive to the point of absurdity, e.g. they mark bugs as fixed but can't tell us when the fix will ship, only saying "Apple does not comment on future releases" as a standard response. If Apple made anyone available to us, we'd definitely talk to them about such issues, but they do not make any such person available nor do they appear to have a culture that would be open to such an idea.

Maybe you could reach out to Jen Simmons? She joined Apple within the last couple of years and I've heard she's fairly responsive/helpful:

twitter.com/jensimmons

I understand when Construct started out that Apple was extremely difficult to communicate with. But over the last 10 years they've changed a fair bit. Their developer relations teams are more responsive than before.

• I can only repeat that if there is a problem in iOS, and you actually want it to be fixed, the fastest thing is to cut us out the process and go direct to Apple. Try contacting their developer evangelists yourself if you think that will help. In my long experience though, the best way is to file a good bug report directly with Apple. Anything else is just beating around the bush.

• Seems like the bug has been solved in 15.2.1, anyone can confirm also?

• Seems like the bug has been solved in 15.2.1, anyone can confirm also?

I have spent two days trying to find the reason why the audio sounded bad in HTML 5 Safari, I thought I had too many objects or whatever. In the end it was that I had an audio positioning behavior on an object that was moving... my god.

I had to remove it for the time being and continue with the development so it doesn't slow me down anymore.

I tried with a project of a user who had something similar on Github , and in iOS 14.7.1 is a horror, cracks everywhere. On another device I have 15.2.1 and although it is not as exaggerated as in 14, there are still cracks and pops that accumulate over time, even with such a small project.

In case anyone wants to open it, I link it: github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/files/4045593/MasterAudio.zip

(I have also tested it by removing the FPS limitation).

EDIT: And with Framerate mode -> V-synced

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)