Script Type keeps changing

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Simplistic hyper-casual game with nature elements. Tap to switch between the 4 elements and reach a better score.
  • Ashley

I believe there's a bug in C3 where it will keep changing the script type from classic to module without me doing anything to it.

Sometimes my exported program simply won't work, and when I go back to advanced settings, I see that it's suddenly set to module, rather than classic (I need it on classic otherwise it will not work).

For some time I thought I was accidentally clicking on it, so I hid the advanced tab, but note that from time to time it still changes.

Typically when I report a bug, I need to include a c3p of it, but as it's a bug with the GUI, I'm not sure where to post it.

Would you like me to post it in the usual place, even though I can't provide a c3p?

I have no idea what's causing it to change. It feels like I'm accidentally pressing a hotkey for it or something...

• I can confirm this. I saw this too but got too busy to follow up. You can include a c3p. Make a new project and only change to Classic and save. Inside the c3proj file you can find: "scriptsType": "classic", but when you load it, it's back to Module, so this a reading issue not setting the value that was saved.

• Ashley says this is by design:

github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/4530

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ha ha ha! That brings back memories...

• As noted in the issue, it's by design, since Construct is detecting your project as compatible with modules and switching it over automatically.

The option will be removed soon anyway - it only exists for a backwards-compatibility grace period for addon developers to update their addons if they need to change anything, and it's been around 4 months now, which I think is long enough for anyone who's going to publish an update to do so. If you still need it for a third-party addon, you should get in touch with the addon developer ASAP, as the option is going away.

• This will break so many projects when it's removed. Oh gosh

• I don't take backwards incompatible changes lightly, but this is essential in order to support JavaScript Modules, which is a major improvement and modernisation for the scripting feature. It's also extremely complicated and results in awkward bugs to support both modes in the engine, so we want to only support one mode. The default SDK downloads are and have always been fully compatible with modules, and even if you bring in your own external scripts, so long as they have been written using strict mode - best practice since 2011 - they will be fine too. So it's only addons that bring in their own scripts written in pre-2011 "sloppy" mode, that also depend specifically on sloppy mode features, that have any issue. Hopefully that should not be too many. I'm also not really prepared to allow a small number of abandonware addons to prevent us making improvements that benefit all Construct users. This is another reminder that using third-party addons means your project is beholden to that developer for maintenance and compatibility, so it's best to check they are actively maintaining it, especially for important projects.

• My program runs almost exclusively on OBS's streaming platform.

They do not use module scripts. As soon as this change is made, my project will stop working, locking me to my current version of C3.

I understand that they're essentially slowing down progress, but I hope you can imagine how concerning this is for me.

I have to hope I can convince them to update, otherwise the program I've been working on for 2 years straight is essentially dead.

• Isn't OBS screen recording software? It's not clear to me that you are actually talking about a Construct addon, but even if you are, the fix is maybe one or two lines of code. It should take 5 minutes for the addon developer. So long as you can get someone to spend half an hour or so to fix it and publish an update, it's all sorted.

• Yes, that's the one :) OBS is a screen streaming/recording software.

I export my project as HTML, then host it online and have it display as a browser source within OBS.

The loading bar will appear, but it will hit 100% then freeze.

I don't use any Construct Addons.

Looks like OBS simply don't support it.

• This sounds completely unrelated to the issue with JavaScript Modules.

If you have an issue with exporting a project which doesn't use any third-party addons, please file an issue following all the guidelines in the normal way. All official features already support JavaScript Modules, so this change should have no impact on your usage at all.

• Ashley, please don't remove this option. Although in the ideal world the developers would keep their plugins updated, in the reality, the old plugins are abandoned.

For devs like me, that have several projects to maintain that uses old plugins (I have over 200), its not feasible to update all them to remove/replace the old plugins.

You could add in the C3 settings a option to enable/disable backwards compatible features.

• I have added the issue, as requested, here:

github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/4672

But I think it's OBS that's outdated, not Construct. But it's not just OBS Project. It's also Streamlabs OBS.

• I have added the issue, as requested, here:

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/4672

But I think it's OBS that's outdated, not Construct. But it's not just OBS Project. It's also Streamlabs OBS.

Try to turn off worker mode instead of changing script type.

• > I have added the issue, as requested, here:

>

> github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/4672

>

> But I think it's OBS that's outdated, not Construct. But it's not just OBS Project. It's also Streamlabs OBS.

Try to turn off worker mode instead of changing script type.

I've tried that, and the code is now running quite slow on certain computers, which is something I've not seen before.

If I run it with Worker ON and Classic Script, I get no slowdown.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)