Playable Ads. What Works / What Doesn't

2 favourites
From the Asset Store
StartApp Ads
$11.99 USD
[ C2 ] [ C3 ] support C3 build service | You can use Banner Ads, Interstitial Ads and Video Reward Ads.
  • Hey all!

I've been spending a fair amount of time exporting and testing playables across multiple ad networks. I wanted to share some of the discoveries and issues here so that others may find some answers, and/or share their findings. Seems in general, the playable community as whole is nonexistent and as a result there is very little information on how to develop & deploy. I would like to change that. :)

Like most development projects - there isn't always a clear cut approach. Many times you have to try and fail multiple times before getting things to work. Please don't go creating bug reports or pinging Ashley with "this doesn't work" - They already exist. Rather report here your findings - Hopefully this will aid in finding out what works, what doesn't, and what could be an actual bug.

I'll populate further with more useful info (how to's) as time passes. Just wanted to get a discussion going to build off of.

Here is a list of some of the main ad networks I have deployed on and some of the issues faced.

Construct 3 Runtime

Google UAC / Google Ads : Doesn't seem to play well with .json files.

Facebook : Blank screen - falsely blacklisted due to Blob: URL / false positive / open discussion with FB engineers at the moment. Waiting on answers.

IronSource : single file index.html export works.

AppLovin : single file index.html export works.

Construct 2 Runtime

Google UAC / Google Ads : C2 works with minor mods to index file and removal of unnecessary scripts

Facebook : Not Available - requires single file index.html

IronSource : Not Available - requires single file index.html

AppLovin : Not Available - requires single file index.html

Feel free to contact me with questions - but I urge you to ask and discuss here.

• Looking forward to seeing playable ads working on facebook.

• Yeah, If I understand this correctly, we are talking about web/HTML5 exports using ( for example ) adsense or ads for games and if so this is definitely where Construct fails. Then there are issues with Google itself limiting where and how you can show adsense.

Gone are the days where you can just place adsense around game window. Most games are played full screen these days on desktop and especially on mobiles. We really could use an option to display adsense ( or go with CPM Star ) within games, before game starts, end of game and so on.

• Yeah, If I understand this correctly, we are talking about web/HTML5 exports using ( for example ) adsense or ads for games and if so this is definitely where Construct fails. Then there are issues with Google itself limiting where and how you can show adsense.

Gone are the days where you can just place adsense around game window. Most games are played full screen these days on desktop and especially on mobiles. We really could use an option to display adsense ( or go with CPM Star ) within games, before game starts, end of game and so on.

Actually - This is more in regards to leveraging Construct to create Playable Ads to be served on google, facebook, applovin, etc..

These ad networks all have specific requirements when publishing playable HTML5 ads.

The two main methods of deploying playables is inline single file or a zip package. Other ad networks similar in requirements to Facebook and Google, work fine. It's understandable that the two giants have stricter requirements, but they also provide the least amount of tools to test - Their previews work, but ads fails when actually live or when trying to upload.

Facebook - requires base 64 data inline - ie; a single index.html file 2MB limit

currently broken on FB end for blacklisting ads : C3 creates a script Blob:URL - facebook falsely blocks it. Oddly enough similar engines do same thing and work fine.

Google - requires 20 file max zip 1MB limit (standard html5 export)

C2 runtime works - C3 does not. Seems to be .json issue and similar script Blob:URL

I was recently in a FB pitch meeting about new advertising products : They are planning on moving to the .zip format route. Should be out in a few weeks. Hopefully this resolves issues - but it could also remain the same. I have an open discussion with FB engineers about the false blacklisting - their system seems to think outside URL requests are being made - which isn't the case.

I don't want to name playable companies publicly, lets just say Playable Co. 1 - has their own proprietary game engine - which was working fine on facebook. Recently, they started to experience issues as well - black screen or unresponsive and hangs on load. So it's an issue outside of C3.

In any event - Any information, whether for ad creation or displaying ads, will potentially aid in a better understanding or a resolution of some sort.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the information.

Seems like we should be seeing a lot more talk about ads in general, best use, how to's etc.

• Any update yet?

Thank you.

• Any update yet?

Thank you.

None yet. The moment I get answers I will post here.

• Any update yet?

Sorry for asking for many times.

• Thank you for posting all this . We are eagerly watching this thread.

• If you're a small indie dev new to HTML5 ad creation and wanting to run a little trial campaign, as I am, here's some "101" tips:

1) Google Ads doesn't allow HTML5 ads unless you spent $1K, your ad account is 90 days old, and more. Scroll down support.google.com/google-ads/answer/1722096

2) AppLovin site: "Want to leverage playable content? Just contact your AppLovin representative." I emailed them, and Ironsource, and asked for requirements re small indie devs. I'll share their answer once I get it if you ask.

I'll try out Facebook next.

• Might try Admob

support.google.com/admob/answer/6185487

Inmobi also does "playables" in an interstitial format.

• Hey, can you tell me how to make playable ads for Applovin in C3?

They do work out of the box, however, I get confused when it comes to mraid.js.

Should I just put it in .html file as <script> and then call JS function mraid.open() on CTA?

I also found a way to make facebook playable ads in C2. Let's trade knowledge?

• Hello! Any updates about facebook playable ad? Want to know about Blob:URL issue. Was it fixed or in progress now?

• I need help deploying a playable to Ironsource.

assured that Ironsource accepts the single .index html file format. I've exported my project as a fully minimized playable Ad but I'm having problems to create the MRAID tag that the IronSource tester requires.

It should be something like this right?

<a href = "http://myplayable.com/index.html"></a>

The URL points to where we have uploaded our .html (that plays just fine on the browser), but for whatever reason the IronSource tester does not recognize any call to MRAID (even if for example in AppLovin, it worked wonders).

Does anybody have any clue?

P.D: Facebook Ad Tester is still broken even after all this time.

• Hey!

I exported a test to Facebook and the test result was positive.

Apparently, the problem is solved in the latest versions of C3.

Soon I will try to make a real campaign in the company and see the result.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)